In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

hey capt fun.......

SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
edited September 2011 in General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Ok, you don't want any posts about the advertisements, but, there's no other way to contact you (that i know of)
    i totally understand the rationale of the ads, "free money", if you don't, someone else will.
    BUT some of the ads are crap.
    they might pay well, but....
    example; there's an ad that talks about how to save money on auto insurance with "the secret" the insurers don't want you to know.
    the link sends you to an insurance brokerage and they never tell you the secret (or even mention it again)
    and BTW their prices are no better than anyone else.
    i could tell you about other ads i've looked at, but i'm sure you would be bored by my negative opinions.
    your advertising division is entering a new realm.
    honestly, they suck and are alienating a lot of folks.
    get a regular GB guy to proof the ads.
    you will get the $$ from the ads and folks won't be insulted by the content.
    jmho
    tom
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i thought i saw a post about changing/updating the forum.
    is that something you are considering?
    if so, i have some recommendations and some "please don't go here" advice.
    i'm sure a lot of members would provide input as well.
    i like the VBulletin 3.8 series format.
    please stay away from the 4.1 series.
    jmho
    tom
    btw, i would have sent an emai, but you don't have a link.[:(]
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:btw, i would have sent an emai, but you don't have a link

Bet I can guess why.[:)]
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I mentioned the same thing a while back and he already told me that they're not going to be using vBulletin because of some reason that he mentioned and I forgot. I think it had to do with compatibility issues.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    the last i remeber, he said it was on the to do list, but taking a back seat to other projects.

there are several flavors of forum software out there. i personally prefer vbulletin, but if theres hardware or software conflicts then iguess thats a pipe dream. a lot of our more...ahem...seasoned members might have a spot of trouble with it too. with some of the add ons, it can get a little complex.

snitz blows donkeys. i feel ive covered the whys and hows of that statement in great detail. its better than nothing, but we're not talking about nothing. we're talking about upgrading this turn.

phpbb isnt bad, but its open source and lacking in the development more advanced software features.

there are plenty of others out there, but most seem to be take offs of one of the above.

if it were me, i would endeavor to solve whatever conflict prevented the use of vbulletin. but thats me. when i have enough cash to buy gunbroker, that opinion might matter. until then, i expect it to count for precisely nill.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,683 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You guys aren't going to make me have to learn something new are you??? I think I'm at the point where learning actually hurts! [:)]
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:You guys aren't going to make me have to learn something new are you?

kasey, you'd be fine with the Vbulletin format in the 3.8 era.
    the newer ones suck, too complex.
    the 3.8 has a user post tab that will show you all of your recent posts and replies.
    test drive it on the forum in my sig.
    Oh, and for you mods, the format tells who's on line at any given time, but mods can be "invisible" if the admin chooses. also allows for "mods" and "super mods" (almost, but not quite admin control)

tom
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,683 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ooooooo....Super Mods!
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Ooooooo....Super Mods!

yep, that would be me over there.
    the owner is kinda like an absentee landlord. [;)]

tom