In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Cleaning Firearms With A Parts Washer

SuaspontaSuasponta Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I've acquired a rather large parts washer and I'm thinking of using it to clean metal parts of rifles and pistols however would like to get some feed back regarding this as a cleaning technique Good Idea, Bad Idea? The washer is large enough to accommodate a long barrel of a rifle.

Comments

• SuaspontaSuasponta Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    So, as long as I'm using Hoppes #9 no need to worry about potential finish damage? I intend to just drop all metal parts in washer. Let it do its thing, and then washing them down with the solvent to flush out any grease and dirt. Then just hand drying them with a clean cloth, or air dry. Does this sounds like a feasible plan to you?

Also, do you know where I can order Hoppes # 9 in volume? This washer can accommodate up to 40 gallons.
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That must be one heck of a parts washer, ".. to just drop all metal parts in washer. Let it do its thing.."

99% of the parts washers I ever saw had a holding tank, sink like faucet, hose attached to a brush and a pump to supply the cleaning solution. The ones that I have saw that are "automatic" for cleaning engine blocks and parts from heavy equipment are a little to big for an average garage. If your is that big. I would highly suggest buying some screen wire from a local hardware store and making some bags to place the various parts in. For if not you will be on here asking where to buy a hammer spring for a Colt 45.
    edited November -1
    Yeah, this thing has a 40 gallon capacity and in the basin is were the majority of the solution is, also has a tray that you can set a rifle barrel on, for automotive work it can accommodate camshafts, and using the pump with a adjustable nozzle wash down the barrel or other parts on the tray. Also has a smaller parts container, sort a metal box with very small holes perforated on the sides.

My thought was this, to drop barrels, metal parts, into the solution and let them sit for a while. Pull parts out and set them on the tray. Spray parts off with nozzle sprayer and then let air dry.

I was ready someplace where someone suggested using Brownell's D'slove solution. That it is a water based solution and not as strong as some of the other solvents but strong enough for cleaning.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I use my dishwasher.

Works great.

Doug
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    uhhh...yeah...
    many USMC armories have solvent tanks with hoses and brushes etc. Works wonders on weapons that have run a lot of rounds through them.
  • Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use my parts washer with mineral spirits in it to clean all my C&R rifles when I get them. Works good on cosmoline. After the initial clean though, its Hoppes #9
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Parts washer or Sonic cleaner.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Lord, unless you have a sheet-pot load of parts, seems like a huge waste of time and money, kinda like using a one five five for a lone enemy fighter with light weapons...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
    edited November -1
    Cling2myguns, do you use the Hoppes # 9 as the solution in the parts washer after the initial mineral sprits wash?

And dnelson457, this is a parts washer.

I was looking at the Hoppes website to see if and how much the solvent would cost per gallon. They do sell it by the gallon but didn't list it at cost. I know this is something that I'm going to have to order.
    edited November -1
    COLT, what I have in mind might save lots of time. Day at the range. Break down firearms. Dropped firearm metal parts, ie nasty barrels into parts washer. walk away for a while, let it do it's work. Pull parts out and dry. Put back together. Done.
  • Oklahoma223Oklahoma223 Member Posts: 2,648 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Using a parts washer takes away the intimacy of my gun and I getting some quality time alone.
    edited November -1
    Oklahoma223, I guess that's fine if you just have one little gun to clean.
  • JohnnylikesgunsJohnnylikesguns Member Posts: 2,887 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your going to have to open a lot of little bottles of Hoppes # 9 to fill the 40 gal tank.
  • Oklahoma223Oklahoma223 Member Posts: 2,648 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Suasponta
    Oklahoma223, I guess that's fine if you just have one little gun to clean.

Yeah, just me and my Jennings .380.
    edited November -1
    How about using mineral sprits? Certainly less expensive and easier to get a hold of. Wonder how that would stack up to hoppes # 9. Any suggestions?
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    I used to have a LT. who cleaned his Beretta 92 in the parts washer at the local garage after every range trip. He only went to the range when we qualified and it worked quite well. Of course, he smelled like gasoline/parts washer for about a seek when in uniform.
    edited November -1
    How about using mineral sprits? Certainly less expensive and easier to get a hold of. Wonder how that would stack up to hoppes # 9. Any suggestions?

I really need to be select with the solvent, and a 5 gallon containter of Hoppes is probably going to cost $200.00

Some of the rifles I intend to clean with the washer would be a PTR-91 SC and a SIG 556 with the desert tan finish. So, I want to do this, and think it will say a load of time, however, I don't want to pull the parts out of the washer with any adverse effects to the metal parts. I was hoping someone here with some gun smithy or armorer background would be able to give me some pointers.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Duggie-Your dishwasher speak Russian[?]
  • screwobamascrewobama Member Posts: 625
    edited November -1
    A+ on the oderless mineral spirits. You can buy a gal. at Wally World for about $8 and it wont harm the finish on your guns.
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I'm leaning toward that or something similar that is biodegradable.
  • burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    I have pretty good access to Birchwood-Casey products in bulk, don't know that I would load up a parts washer to clean my guns but I might be able to hook you up with a good vendor.

b