In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anybody Here Into Stamp Collecting?

Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I am in the clean-up mode again, and am getting rid of everything I don't need, or use.

My grand-parents bought me a stamp collecting book, along with a bunch of stamps from all over the world when I was very young.
I never got interested in it, and just came across that book, plus some first day of issue stamps on envelopes.

One is the 50th. Anniversary of Arizona Satehood from 1962.
Another is called American Credo Series, and has a quote from Abe Lincoln dated 1960.
The last is Commemorating Satellite Echo 1, the worlds first communications satellite dated 1960.

Man,.....postage was .04 cents back then!

Hate to get rid of something from my grandparents from so long ago, but I am not a person to simply let things rot away when they have no meaning to me. I have plenty of other things that truly matter to me from them.

Thought I would offer them here instead of throwing it all in the trash. Let me know if anyone is interested,.......I will pay the postage to get it to you.
"Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner

Comments

• MVPMVP Member Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never got into stamps either and couldn't understand the attraction.
    Very generous of you and somone will be happy to have them.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I am.

Problem is they are all $200 and go to the ATF [:(]

Good news is they come with cool toys [:p]
  • TangoSierraTangoSierra Member Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was a stamp collector when I was a kid. Friend and I had a pretty big collection. Although I didn't have time to persue it as I grew up, I still tear stamps off of envelopes and stick them in a drawer. I hope that someday I will find the time to put it all together again. I have stamps that are over 100 years old now. Mostly US stamps but some foriegn and some from countries that don't exist an longer. I would certainly be interested. Thanks...
  • utbrowningmanutbrowningman Member Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Started as a kid in the early 80's. Still pick up certain commoratives when they come out. Cleaned out my grandparents house in the late 90's. Dozons of old postcards with stamos from the 1920's and 1930's. I'll take them if nobody else has an interest.
  • Oklahoma223Oklahoma223 Member Posts: 2,648 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have several tramp-stamps, that's about it.
  • JohnnylikesgunsJohnnylikesguns Member Posts: 2,887 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would be interested.

Thanks
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I collected stamps as a kid. I shouldn't say this but I remember when stamps were .06.[B)]
    Anyway my father has the collection now and continues it to this day. I think he has all US stamps only from 1930ish to present in mint condition. With the exception of the Zepplin stamps of course.

Marc when your done cleaning...do you do basements/garages?[8D]
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you saying you are interested for your pop?
    No Marc, he/we only collect US stamps. There's way too many to get into world wide stamps. Though some are really cool looking. One country way back when actually made a few 3D stamps.[:0]
    Those were pretty neat!!
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TangoSierra
    I was a stamp collector when I was a kid. Friend and I had a pretty big collection. Although I didn't have time to persue it as I grew up, I still tear stamps off of envelopes and stick them in a drawer. I hope that someday I will find the time to put it all together again. I have stamps that are over 100 years old now. Mostly US stamps but some foriegn and some from countries that don't exist an longer. I would certainly be interested. Thanks...

Richard,
    You seem to be the most interested of the few folks.
    They are yours. Just shoot me your info through the GB e-mail, and I will send them your way.

This wasn't like a giveaway, so I picked the first person that seemed to have a true interest.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I knew a guy 20 years ago that bought one of these stamps at a yard sale for 20 dollars., He put it up for auction and it fetched over 100,000. Look what it is worth today,,
    'Jenny' Stamp Sells for $825K - Business News Briefs | NewserThe stamp is a 1918 misprint, which shows a Curtis JN-4 (Jenny) biplane flying upside-down. Only 100 were printed. The buyer is a Wall Street executive who ...
  • burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    I've got about 40-50K baseball cards from the 70's to the 90's...... boy did I screw up and hold on to them too long [:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!]