In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Update On My Mom

dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
edited June 2018 in General Discussion
Tomorrow i have to take my mom to get a heart catherization done. There are 2 arterys they think are blocked on the bottom of the heart. Hope all goes well. Mom was the healthy one. Everyone was worried about dad but mom was suffering in silence.[:(]

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    First thanks for the prayers. My Mom is now home with my sister where she now lives for around 1 year now.

We know she had a small stroke. That makes number 4.

However they think she has lung cancer. The doctor told my sister that she needs to see a pulmonologist. She has spots on her lungs. He told her that with her age 82 that he would not do any test because she could not make it through chemo and surgery.[V]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I found out yesterday she does have cancer. It is in her left lung and there is a small spot in her right lung that may or might not be cancer.

We are waiting for an oncologist to give us a call today and see what can be done.

I prayed every night for God to let me have cancer but it was not his will. However it goes i made a promise to be thankful to him no matter what.

I promised myself i will not push her into any treatment. At 82 and 95 pounds there is not a lot of choices.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The doctors ruled out surgery because she is not strong enough. They told my Mom that if she does nothing she has 12 months left.

They did tell her that her best options is 5 chemo treatments.

I will see Mom today and see what she is thinking.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    She starts radiation August 28th. She is going to have 5 straight sessions and she should be through with the left side.

They have not decided if the right side is cancer or not.[:(]

I know i am wrong but in the last 6 months every time i saw my Dad he made me promise to take care of Mom.

I feel i let my Dad down by Mom getting cancer. I know i have no control of what happens. Thats up to someone above my pay grade.

I pray every night to let me take my Moms pain from her and give it to me.[:(]

Im not used to fee[V]ling helpless.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My sister just called. We met with the oncologist yesterday and they were meeting with the surgeon today to schedule the operation.
    Sis says after about 20 minutes the Dr called the hopital and admitted her. He is planning a monday surgery, but, needs a few days to get her electrolytes stabilized (?)and help relieve some of the pressure in her stomach.
    So far the cancer has excised the colon and attacked the liver, but, the surgeon kinda feels like it may have gotten to the pancreas...we hope not.
    At any rate they'll operate monday and at that time we'll all know more.
    Hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving.

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
  • Options
    SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    Prayers for you and your mother, Dave.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,400 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Prayers from here, Dave.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prayers from here, Dave.
    Went through it with my mom and my wife's mom.
    Stay strong.
  • Options
    likemhotlikemhot Member Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prayers from here
  • Options
    glynglyn Member Posts: 5,949
    edited November -1
    Prayers said and sent.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dave I am so sorry - damn.

Please keep us updated

Mike
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Went through the same with my Mother. By the time the cancer was detected, it was pretty extensive. She opted for no heroics, giving my sister and me "medical power of attorney". We worked with her Doctors to keep her as comfortable as possible until she passed away.

I pray for comfort and peace for you and your entire family.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,187 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    told same with my mom, was told she wouldn't make it through the surgery, so same as grdad said we made it as painless as possible till end. so sorry dave its tough on all involved, spend the time with her now while you can.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I promised myself i will not push her into any treatment. At 82 and 95 pounds there is not a lot of choices.

+1

At that age I would think it would better to just go in peace without the rigors of Chemotherapy, radiation and surgery. Plus all the follow up checks and stuff.
    I would just want to enjoy my time left and when the pain got to be too much or I got in bad shape I would hope I could get some dope and off myself if necessary.

How is her mind Dave? One thing about cancer treatment in older people, is it really exacerbates dementia. One of my buddy's Mom is 83 and was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer. Her husband wanted her treated and after they started dementia came on strong.
    Now she in dying of cancer and doesn't even know where she is and who her kids are.......very sad.

I am so sorry for you and your family, you will be in my prayers.
    RLTW

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,399 ******
    edited November -1
    Prayers sent for you and your mom from here Dave. May you both find strength and may there be no pain for either of you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My Moms brain is working great. Her memory is a lot better than mine.

Thanks for the prayers. I need all i can get. A whole lot of thoughts are running through my mind.