In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A Mistake I Made One Day

dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
edited April 2016 in General Discussion
I was the lead electrician and i had to move a control box for a machine 20 feet and put it in the next room. They had a shatterproof window so they could see the machine work.

The machine turns at a very high rate of speed and something came loose and flew across the room. So for safety reasons they moved the control box.

I pulled a double shift and came in on third shift to do the work. I ran new wire because the old wire was to short. When i hooked up the machine and hit start everything was going great and then the machine would speed up then slow down. It did all kind of crazy stuff except start and stop on its own.

I got done at 3am and i had to have the machine running by 7am. I was worried to death. I was sitting there thinking what did i do wrong i know all the wires were hooked up right.

Thats when i noticed the wires were shielded instead of THHN like i used. Thats when i thought of magnetic induction. I went and found some shielded wire and everything worked out.

For a while i was scared to death. I could see everyone sitting around with no work while i figured out what was wrong.

Comments

• Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fear is a great motivator.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    thanks for this post DAVE I found out about induction on a 500KV line the right weather conditions and a long parallel barb wire fence luckly shock but did not kill me
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We always run shielded power, control, and communication cable for systems with VFDs because of the electrical noise generated by the drives. Have not had problems with FV Starters.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dave, not knowing a whole heck of a lot about electrical wiring, what is THHN and shielded wire??? What is the difference. I have heard my father use those terms, but don't know what they mean. Always wanting to learn new stuff. Oakie
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Think about what your body cells are doing in a powerful magnetic field reversing polarity at 60 cps.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    THHN is just regular stranded wire. Shielded wire will have a type of foil over or around the wire not allowing any interference with the wire. Each wire has its own electrical field and if the run side by side it can effect the wire next to it if its not shielded. Only sensitive equipment will be affected by things like this.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh cat 6 computer wire is all shielded it keeps all the waves separated.