In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lincoln MK VIII w/ 125,000 mi $2,000 hmmmmm?

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,909 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
In all the car "hooplah" one of Larry's co-workers told him about a neighbor's car that he was going to sell. My mother had one of these cars....I forget what year it is, but it is the one that is lower to the ground and not super huge....kind of sporty looking. It is a V8 thought so, it couldn't be my daughter's car. I think it sounds like a really good deal. It has had one owner and he has kept it nicely....maintained on time and kept in the garage. I don't know. She has been working too much to go looking or deal with anything herself.
LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen a few of those Lincolns with over 165,000 on them still going strong.
  • Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
    What year? It wouldn't be a bad car for a seventeen year old. They're big as hell, so navigating in it might be difficult. They have a lot of amenities too.
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    125,000 is no miles for a lincoln...she'll go twice that if you keep the oil changed.[;)]
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Plus they have a big "back-seat."[:p]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good deal if its not tore up.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Aspen79se
    What year? It wouldn't be a bad car for a seventeen year old. They're big as hell, so navigating in it might be difficult. They have a lot of amenities too.

they are also (conservativly) rated at 280hp. They are the DOHC 32 valve 4.6 V-8. My late bro had a 1993 Mark VII. It went like a raped ape. About the last car I'd pick for a 17 y.o.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,909 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Again....this one would NOT be for her. It would have to be mine and I would have to give her the Escape. She would be happy, but I like an SUV myself and really didn't want a car.

I found a pic and description of it....on the link it is the green one halfway down the page.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Mark_VIII
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gas gets a little higher the big suvs will be dirt cheap again
    edited November -1
    I just like getting in and out of the Escape better than climbing in and out of a car. I don't car HOW nice a car is....if I have to grab anything to pull myself out of it I hate it.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    Again....this one would NOT be for her. It would have to be mine and I would have to give her the Escape. She would be happy, but I like an SUV myself and really didn't want a car.

I found a pic and description of it....on the link it is the green one halfway down the page.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Mark_VIII

IIRC they had a (bad, expensive)habit of the air suspension taking a dump.
    If every thing is OK, its a great car.
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you will never know unless you go check it out,that is no miles on a car,it will get double that with no problem,good thing about a lincoln is will burn regular gas unlike a Caddy that has to have premium.That is one of the few cars I will drive,I am a big boy and hate cars but those have enough room
  • moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    offer 1500 to 1700 and see what happens
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Her boyfriend(s) will love that rolling motel room [:D]
    edited November -1
    No boyfriend....just a bunch of guys following her around like puppies right now. (thank goodness)
  • Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No boyfriend....just a bunch of guys following her around like puppies right now. (thank goodness)
    arf arf
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,019 ******
    edited November -1
    The nicest car I ever owned was a '72 Lincoln Mark IV with a 460 cu in and white leather seats. It got 12 mpg. Paid $1200 in 1980.
    edited November -1
    If'n I was going to buy a licoln, it would be the town car model or nothing.

Those mark series do have air bag problems. If you buy one, be absolutely SURE, the mechanic disables the airbag system BEFORE lifting it. If he doesn't your air bags will blow.
    edited November -1

Ummm, yeah.....
    If they are following her K, they are getting a return response. She is expressing some interest, or they would move on to greener pasture.

Don't let your guard down, or leave your handgun unloaded. [8]
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have a 93 Town Car. Handles like it is on rails, rides like a lazy boy recliner- and on the interstate, w/ cruise set, gets 29 mpg at 65. The "air bag" problem I had was the air suspension- air shocks wore out, and ate up the itty bitty air compressor- BUT

It's paid for
    Rides good,handles good
    Trunk is big enough to live in for a weekend.

And for a 4,000 lb car, will definitely MOVE
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I drive an old 95 Towncar. It's probably the nicest car I've ever had. The air ride was replaced with Crown Vic springs and it still rides nice. It averages 19/23 MPG, but it will get 25/26 on the road if you featherfoot it. I'm starting to think the 4.6 motor is pretty bullet proof and it does get going pretty well. You can buy them used cheap enough that you could cut them up and convert them into a truck. It now has 145,000 miles on it and still is very viable and trustworthy.
    standard.jpg
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does it have Air Bag suspension?

"The Lincoln Mark 7 air ride suspension system is the oldest such system in the Lincoln line. The rubber component of the air bag deteriorates in time and fails, and you lose that famous Lincoln air ride. Also, because of design flaws and the age of this system, many of the electronic parts will fail. Most of these items are dealer items and very expensive."

I know a girl who sank a ton on money into hers, replaced the air ride system twice, but since her parents gave her the car she feels the need to keep it on the road.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +100 on the Air ride suspension--you see these cars all the time that look like they are hugging the rear tires because the air ride is out--also note that some of those lincolns are supposed to use 91 octane[;)]
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    The Mark VIII is a nice ride. I think it is based on a Thunderbird platform though. You could do a lot worse and I suspect you will HATE driving the Escape after wrapping yourself in Lincoln luxury sport!
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    It is a sweet ride.

Doug
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Here is the only one that ebay has.

Gives you a callout of all the features, and I think it's worth the price.

You could do a lot worse.

Fast and classy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lincoln-Mark-Series-LSC-MK-8-98-PEARL-WHITE-MARK-VIII-COUPE-COLLECTORS-EDITION-FL_W0QQitemZ280350675160QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item414633d0d8&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65:3|39%3A1|240%3A1308

Lest us know the year of the one you're looking at. This "98 was the last year of production, so has all factory improvements and updates.

I think it's a helluva value. Has traction control and anti-lock brakes.

Doug
  • dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,540 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Plus if there is ever an accident a bigger car is better. The chances of a kid getting in a fender bender is great. Which would you rather have her in that or say a little Nissan Sentra or a Cavalier. With the Lincon she probally will end up ok. Good Luck