In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bernese mountain dogs

joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
edited July 2015 in General Discussion
Anyone have any experience with this breed of pup? The wife and I just picked up a 8 week old pup that is 13 lbs already. So far ( first day) he's being a really good pup. He fell asleep on the floor last night and didn't start crying u till I put him in his kennel. He's about house broke if you take him out every half hr. So once he's big enough to get out the doggy door should be good to go. I need to go get some chew toys for him now.

Comments

• Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    I think it's prolly "Burmese".
  • Options
    NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    the doggie door is going to be the whole door [:0][:0]when he gets to 8 months old
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,739 ******
    edited November -1
    Well, heck, dogs can't spell worth a hoot, anyway.
    They are beautiful dogs, though.
    Dog_Uller_OnStreet.jpg
  • Options
    catgunguycatgunguy Member Posts: 6,089
    edited November -1
    That looks like a very good looking dog.
  • Options
    milesmiles Member Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have your work cut out for you.This breed will eat you out of house and home but will be worth it by giving you tons of love and fun in return.
    I love the breed but then, I love most all dog breeds.[:)]
    Some Burmese have health issues you need to be aware of and watch out for.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4mupT2AIsM
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GuvamintCheese
    I think it's prolly "Burmese".

All searches I've done on the breed and spellings have been Bernese mountain dogs. Comes from Switzerland I believe.

http://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/bernese-mountain-dog/

We got him from a breeder about an he away. According to them they haven't had any major health problems. No hip displaysia or anything.
  • Options
    gartmangartman Member Posts: 660 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's Bernese, from Bern Switzerland. One of the Swiss mountain dog working breeds, smaller than the St. Bernard. Never had one but people that do want nothing else, in spite of their relatively short life span, being a large breed.
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Big, Beautiful,Loyal and Mild Tempered. Great family dog !

The long hair takes a lot grooming, especially in a temperate climate.

Take my word on that one. > My Long Hair GSD > Vinnie (140 pound, lap dog)

tumblr_ns1rkaohdv1sfirzso1_540.jpg

[^][^][^]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My son just had his put down. He was a great dog his son loved that dog. John Landon would crawl all over the dog and he would just lay there and play.

The only problem is when they get older their hips go bad. They had to put him down because he was in pain. They tend to live shorter lives than other dogs.