In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun ? Cricket vs Rascal?

JohnharleyJohnharley Member Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
edited January 2015 in General Discussion
I am picking up a Cricket or a Rascal single shot 22 tomorrow for my Grandson who is turning 5. Is either one hard to load? I like the feed ramp in the chamber of the Rascal, But the Cricket is $25 less. Anyone have trouble getting the Cricket loaded with Adult size hands?

Comments

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A buddy of mine is a traper and he carries the Rascal with him while checking his traps. He loves it.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    I don't know if they've changed since, but the Cricket I got my son 20 years ago loaded easily.

Some of the best money I ever spent.
  • Options
    chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Rascal has a left hand version.
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,199 ******
    edited November -1
    I got my son a Cricket many moons ago.
    If memory serves me correct, for big hands it was a little tough but he never had an issue loading it.
    After shooting it for a while, I got used to it also.
    We never had an issue with the Cricket and it was very accurate.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,017 ******
    edited November -1
    I am unfamiliar with the Rascal, but many years ago I sold a good many Cricketts, and before that, Chipmunks. Both were solid, well-made rifles.

The Jennings Junior and the identical made-for-Walmart-cheap-Charlie Daisy are another story altogether.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rascal or a Chipmunk (my choice).

Gave my kids Crickets. They hated them and threw them down before the first box of ammo had been used up. Hard to load, Sights easily bent and over all very cheap built rifle. They have been in a closet collecting dust for years now.

6 yr old + Chipmunk + 100 yards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xBxzeqrWPE
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    I am unfamiliar with the Rascal, but many years ago I sold a good many Cricketts, and before that, Chipmunks. Both were solid, well-made rifles.
    Come to think of it, I believe you handled the transfer on that Cricket of mine years ago. [^]
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa
    Rascal or a Chipmunk (my choice).

Gave my kids Crickets. They hated them and threw them down before the first box of ammo had been used up. Hard to load, Sights easily bent and over all very cheap built rifle. They have been in a closet collecting dust for years now.

6 yr old + Chipmunk + 100 yards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xBxzeqrWPE

This ^^^^
  • Options
    topdadtopdad Member Posts: 3,408 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    why not buy him something he will grow into, rather than
    something to grow out of. A 10/22 he will cherish for life.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by topdad
    why not buy him something he will grow into, rather than
    something to grow out of. A 10/22 he will cherish for life.

Or a Henry "Youth" model.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What ever you decide, I would advise against a auto loader as a first gun.
    Teaching gun safety is easier and more embedding with a single shot.
    Also makes marksmen ship better, no "alwell, I got 9 more shots to go".

He will learn that every shot is important.
  • Options
    topdadtopdad Member Posts: 3,408 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All of my kids started shooting with a 22 semi auto, and it was a single shot until I decided otherwise.
  • Options
    RustyBonesRustyBones Member Posts: 4,956
    edited November -1
    The CZ Scout may also be a good contender, or the Anschutz Achiever for a little more cash.
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought my daughter a Cricket several years ago and at that time I could have gotten a Henry lever .22 for $188 new. The Cricket is still bout the same price and the Henry is $312 now. The Cricket shoots surprisingly good and not a bad little gun, but I wish I had went ahead and got the Henry or a 10/22 Ruger.
  • Options
    JohnharleyJohnharley Member Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found a camo Rascal for $129. I have plenty of other 22's for him to shoot and give him later. I think a single shot is the way to go for now. I have been training him with Nerf and my original Daisy from 1969 for about a year. He already shoots pretty good.
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never buy them something they will outgrow unless you want to buy them something new later on.
  • Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought my daughter a Chipmunk when she was 6. It is a quality rifle that fit her well. She could load it fine but the striker spring was a little too hard for her to pull back. I liked this feature as she could load it, shoulder it and be ready to fire. Once done, I would pull back the striker and it as ready to fire. I didn'tt have to worry about a discharge until the gun was aimed at the target. It was also very fun for the adults to shoot. Highly recommend the Chipmunk.