In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Payment Methods on Gunbroker.com

Thims2Thims2 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited March 2012 in General Discussion
I am new to Gunbroker.com. I have a few pistols to sell, however I am concerned with the exchange of funds and the weapon process.

Do any of you have suggestions for a newcomer? I would like to know how to handle the exchange prcoess in the most efficient, less expensive and most importantly the most trust worty method for receiving my money from a buyer.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have 'em mail you a USPS MO in the same envelope as the FFL copy...
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both the buyer and the seller have to deal with a certain level of trust. Most of the time, it seems GB participants put the risk on the buyer by requiring full payment before the gun is shipped. It's a lot of caveat emptor. READ each others' feedback to see if you are comfortable. If a postal money order or certified check, etc is used, CASH it first, just to confirm whether it is a counterfeit or not. (There are a lot of fake cashiers/certified/bank checks out there. Don't assume it's real just on looks.) Like the movie says, "Show me da money!". Cash then ship. The Buyer is the one with the risk as he now has sent money and is relying on the seller to ship after getting payment. Don't be rude and decide to ship, "when you get around to it". Pack it and have it ready. The same day you have cash in hand, ship it!
    One way to keep the buyer comfortable is to ship ASAP, insure, and send the buyer the tracking numbers so he can watch it coming his way. Give good feedback on prompt payment and don't forget to ask for positive feedback from HIM. Doing so will build up the feedback rating for both of you, making future transactions better. Good luck. [:)]
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    BE SURE TO READ ALL THE POSTING GUIDELINES FOUND AT THE TOP OF THIS PAGE.

...The BEST advice is to READ all the HELP sections provided by GB where you can find answers to specific questions.

Go to the GB Homepage & click on the type of HELP you are looking for.

For SINGLE seperate questions, you will get a plethora of answers here, and half will be wrong & bad advice,

Asking to go thru the entire process like you are asking is like asking someone to explain the History of WWII, luck.

Not an FFL? Use the FFL Locator GunBroker provides.

Type Of Funds? Check/USPS Money Order or Bank Check...or accept Credit Cards..again, find the answer in the Help section on how to accept CC's.

A non FFL can send a longun thru USPS, cheapest & best way to ship, but has to have an FFL on receiving end....help section.

A non FFL CANNOT send a handgun via USPS, hello help section, again.

All guns, handgun/longun, MUST go to an FFL, generally an 01 or 03...unless designated an Antque by the ATF definition.

State local laws are in effect for magazines & certain types of guns, know the laws...ATF site & GB help section.

The GB help section contains a wealth of knowledge, use it...the help section is your best friend...[;)]
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Communication is the key, good communication between the seller and buyer is vital to a good result.

Take GOOD clear pictures (See Locust Fork auctions for a good job) Describe the gun accurately, completely and honestly, point out any flaws and show them in the pictures. If you are shipping handguns make sure you know what your FFL wants to ship them for you. Long guns can be sent by the seller but make sure the buyer knows the long gun/ shotgun is coming from a private seller, be prepared to send a copy of your drivers license with the gun to the receiving FFL.

Most folks do not like the term ACTUAL SHIPPING COST. It can be open to abuse by the seller to increase profits. State a shipping cost and stick to it.

Do NOT set a reserve, set your starting bid at the lowers price you will take for the item. If you have a dream price you want for it put it in the buy it now column.

Accepting Postal Money orders is the safest bet, get the money, go to the post office and cash it.

Pack the guns well, very well, there is no such thing as going overboard on packing for shipment. You want to avoid damage and extra packing is easy to do. It would amaze you what shippers can bust. I often ship in triple layers of cardboard and extra padding on the muzzle end
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd start by selling some inexpensive accessories, just so you can get some good feedback on your profile.

State your return policy clearly, including who pays shipping in the event of a return. As a buyer, I rarely deal with sellers who sell "AS IS, no returns". As a seller, I state that the buyer pays shipping both ways if there is nothing wrong with the item or my description; if I fail to describe it accurately, I refund shipping both ways.

Neal
  • Options
    Thims2Thims2 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow! Thanks so much to ALL of you for the excellent advice. I really appreciate the help and this is just what I needed.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would mention that some folks may have you ship to an 02 FFL. That is a pawnshop with a firearms license, and has the same privileges as an 01 FFL (Dealer)
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    Would mention that some folks may have you ship to an 02 FFL. That is a pawnshop with a firearms license, and has the same privileges as an 01 FFL (Dealer)

I thought 02 FFL's were phased out by ATF. With the exception of bulk/wholesale purchasing, they're performing the same task as an 01..

Is it true? No more 02 FFL's, or, at least, no NEW 02 FFL's being issued?

Thanks for straightening me out on this. Joe
  • Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by llama
    Have 'em mail you a USPS MO in the same envelope as the FFL copy...

What he said. I have never had a problem doing it this way!