In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A Dream Coming True

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
edited April 2014 in General Discussion
About 40 years ago I visited Harsens Island, MI. Over the years I visited a few times and fell in love with the area. About 12 years ago I bid on 6 acres non-waterfront and lost it because I thought it was priced too high. About three years ago my wife thought it would be nice to own a cottage and I steered her to Harsens. She loved the area too. We bid on several cottages, paid for inspections and backed out of the deals for problems found.

Last year we looked at a non-descript property on the South Channel (there are 3 channels). It was a good sized lot with a small, rough shaped cottage on it. About 35' across the front and 30' deep with a roof slanting to the back. Built in 1948, it most likely drew water from the channel/river and dumped sewage into the channel. City water and electricity are available. Steel seawall. We bid on it and the offer was accepted last September. We kept extending the offer until the seller could provide clear title.

Earlier this month we learned that the seller lost the property and at least the lot next door in foreclosure. He was pizzed. The property came on the market by the broker who bought the parcels in the foreclosure sale. We just about closed the deal when another offer came in $2000 higher. The listing Broker wants a real quick sale and closing. We gave it our best shot and it looks like we won!

This is on the largest island (on the American side) in the world's largest freshwater delta in the world. The cottage needs everything (siding, drywall, windows, doors, roof, ceilings, septic system etc.). Very little demolition needed. I can handle all the work myself except for the septic system. Have plans for fruit trees, and raised gardens in the back. Hey, I'm going to need a riding mower soon.

Our daughter, the 1st year med student, has spent time at a friend's family cottage may time and loves the area too. She's going to be shocked when she gets the news.

Next year we'll likely bump out the back by 4 or more feet to enlarge the 2 bedrooms and bath room. There's room on one side to easily add a garage.

Ninety percent of the island is owned by the DNR and is managed for waterfowl. Deer, pheasants and are on the island. Some very good fishing too. Seen lots of turtles crossing the roads, heard the frogs. Then there's just sitting outside and watch the big freighters go by with a cold drink. If it's raining, the restaurant/bar is a short walk. Pretty busy on the weekends with boaters and visitors. There'd be more visitors if it wasn't for the $8/car ferry ride.

While I'm up there (an hour from home) I can watch for illegals coming over from Wapole Island, Canada. First Nation people look the other way while Asians are being brought across the channel.

Almost forgot, the original owner may not have time to remove his personal property from the cottage. He only used the place to store stuff. Right now, amongst some true junk, there's a snowmobile, an old wood dinghy in pretty good shape, and what looks to be a fully restored JD tractor with the steel wheels with cleats! I've got my fingers crossed.

I'm going to start having more fun in retirement!

Comments