In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dad allegedly shot, killed daughter while warning

Comments

• Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I feel real bad for the guy, and I appreciate the fact that he was trying to show his son the safe way to handle a firearm, but I think he should have learned how to safely handle a firearm himself first.

What a tragic accident, that shouldn't have happened. I hope the judge has leniency on him. I know he won't have any leniency on himself
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    damn

just damn

[V]
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate to hear of such events its sad so many ways just carelessness and complacency and so many lifes are changed

my sisters wedding there best man was shot a few days after the event .
    he had bought a shotgun ( short barrel deer version ) and him and the buddies were in the living room as another buddy stopped by to see the new toy
    the fellow ( best man ) had it under his chair pulled it out with the muzzle facing himself handed it to the buddy who grabbed it by the trigger and stock pulled the trigger as he was pulling the gun to himself shot the best man in the chest DRT
    people get careless and some get lucky and some get dead
  • Options
    wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    His sentence has already been given. No need for the Courts.[V]
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    It is a tragedy that the innocent child was killed. The dad and the other children will likely carry this with them for life, and I do feel sorry for them for that. But-What kind of an idiot points a gun at a child and pulls the trigger? I cannot even imagine ever pointing a gun of any kind at my children. I didn't know it was loaded? This was no accident, it was negligence that resulted in death.

I know he will be harder on himself than the courts ever will, and I know maybe I am being hard nosed, but some people just don't deserve to be parents, and he seems like one of them.

"According to authorities, Hummel said he was showing his sons a 9 mm semi-automatic handgun and told them "not to ever play with it because it can kill someone."

Court records obtained by the Post-Tribune say that Hummel pointed the gun at her when she walked into the room and pulled the trigger ?thinking it was empty.?

The coroner?s office said that Olivia was shot about 2-3 feet away in the upper forehead."

Peace

Dan
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A shame. Prayers for the family...
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I have zero sympathy for the guy. You don't point guns at things you don't intend to destroy--simple enough. No different than intentionally running over the kid with his car or swinging an ax at her head.
  • Options
    mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,719 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where are all the Darwin comments?
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    Well, I have zero sympathy for the guy. You don't point guns at things you don't intend to destroy--simple enough. No different than intentionally running over the kid with his car or swinging an ax at her head.

I agree, but don't see where a criminal trial will benefit anyone. He obviously made an incredibly stupid mistake that he will never make again.

His lawyer's statement is equally stupid.

Hummel?s attorney told the Post-Tribune that Hummel is "absolutely devastated" and "the idea that Eric knowingly endangered any of his children is ridiculous."

Pointing a firearm at your daughter and pulling the trigger is almost by definition knowingly endangering her.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Innocent child killed by the hands of a true horses *.
    He certainly is no where near qualified to teach gun safety or any other safety.
    Point a gun at a human, loaded or not.. inexcusable.
    Unless, your intention is to kill them.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mag00
    Where are all the Darwin comments?

Darwin comments would be acceptable if he killed himself. Not an innocent beautiful child.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm surprised he is alive to make his first court appearance.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    I don't even want to think about the pain I would go through if something like that were to happen to me. I would never be able to live with myself and you'd have to lock me in a padded room most likely.[:(][V]
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by remingtonoaks
    I feel real bad for the guy, and I appreciate the fact that he was trying to show his son the safe way to handle a firearm, but I think he should have learned how to safely handle a firearm himself first.

What a tragic accident, that shouldn't have happened. I hope the judge has leniency on him. I know he won't have any leniency on himself

Ditto
  • Options
    patt7638patt7638 Member Posts: 364 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He will go to jail, I hope.
  • Options
    mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,719 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gearheaddad
    Innocent child killed by the hands of a true horses *.
    He certainly is no where near qualified to teach gun safety or any other safety.
    Point a gun at a human, loaded or not.. inexcusable.
    Unless, your intention is to kill them.

I think how he handles it going forward will determine how I feel about it. I surely wouldn't wish what he is feeling on anybody.

If he tucks tail and joins the anti gun bandwagon, or becomes an ambassador for gun safety, that is the question.