In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I'm so ashamed.....

ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in General Discussion
I think I have to turn in my man card....I drove a Ford Ranger for my last three trucks..last year I bought an F-150 since they didn't make the Ranger.

For the life of me I can't park the thing...oh I can parallel park just fine.....I can't park it between the white lines in a parking lot...pulling in or backing in.....it usually takes me three or more attempts to get between the lines....

The wife just sits and stares straight ahead....I'm such a wuss...

I guess I'll have to go find an abandon factory somewhere and practice...and practice.....[:)]

Comments

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,435 ******
    edited November -1
    Don't feel too bad! You could make a few extra bucks by selling admission tickets to watch my older brother trying to launch his boat at our local launch![:D] He has absolutely no coordination when it comes to backing trailers!
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to Walmart Sunday morning and practice. You will pick it up in no time.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the club! I have the same problem with our 2015 RX-350; the only vehicle that I've ever had trouble centering between the two lines! [:I]

However, now that my wife is driving our older ES-300, she can't seem to park it straight in our garage, so she can't comment on my technical difficulty! [:D]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Tundra is long enough to make it a challenge to park in most lots. I can never make the turn in and get centered without some back and fill.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't feel bad, I can't seem to park my F150 between the lines well either..the turning radius and lack of response is terrible. I've been driving full size pick ups and SUVs for a long time and never had any issue before owning this truck. It is irritating.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yep parking lines are for mini cars...however one showboat centered his huge dodge 4x4 pickup on 4 spots in front of home depot...so i gotta see who this bozo is and i wait..well this dwarf about 5'3" comes out with a tiny purchase and struggles to get his shrimp * up on the running board then claws the rest of the way up and drives off..had to have a elevator in the seat to see over the wheel...bet it never was, is, or would be off the blacktop and i am sure he has struggled for years with BallPark Frank envy..............
  • Options
    medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It definitely is not you.

I have driven trucks and SUVs all my life as well as ambulances and other military vehicles and currently drive a Tundra Crewmax.

The parking spots are narrower and shallower than in the past. It seems in my area only Walmart has angled parking spaces and directional lanes still. Everyone else has straight in slots and that is a pain in the * with a big truck as I always back in (backing that out when some jack wagon has left 1/2 of their car sticking out of their spot behind you is impossible).

I tend to have to adjust a bit to make sure I am centered in the spot and not hanging my bumper over the back line.
  • Options
    mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,719 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Upgrade and get the rear wheel steering, should make parking easy. One day I'll build a rig like that.
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    Don't feel bad, I can't seem to park my F150 between the lines well either..the turning radius and lack of response is terrible. I've been driving full size pick ups and SUVs for a long time and never had any issue before owning this truck. It is irritating.

Dang! I thought it was just me. I have a heck of a time centering up in most parking lots with my F-150 Crew Cab. I have started turning the driver side rear view "down" to be able to see the lane stripe on at least one side! [:I]
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,179 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm parking more like what's called around here as "Parking Mexican". Basically one parks head first to the second space in front so one doesn't have to back out when leaving. After getting rear ended backing out I'll be a taco bending Japo.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Try Going from My Cruze or Jeep to my truck they spots seem to shrink right in front of me. In the truck I park out as far as I can so I can get a better tun in then drive thru to the other side only way I can get the truck Straight.

Plus I'm not the only one I got the Idea from all the truck parked out there in the Boonies.[:D]
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some are so narrow that a good amount of customers driving trucks, suv's and regular sedans park at an angle or take up two, sometimes three spaces so as not to get their vehicles dinged by other people. I'm good with that too.
    What's next?
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,275 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let me ask you a question icdoty. Where do you live? Does it snow much there? Have you had a problem with rust on all your Rangers?
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a F250, with a cap on the bed, and over sized tires.

I need every bit of room between those lines. I always park way out in the parking lot away from people who park like you...[:D]

The other day I had to drive through the teller lane at the bank. The size of these lanes must have been designed for a Toyota or Honda. I had to pull my mirrors in, and still almost didn?t make it...[B)]

Trinity +++
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TrinityScrimshaw
    I have a F250, with a cap on the bed, and over sized tires.

I need every bit of room between those lines. I always park way out in the parking lot away from people who park like you...[:D]

The other day I had to drive through the teller lane at the bank. The size of these lanes must have been designed for a Toyota or Honda. I had to pull my mirrors in, and still almost didn?t make it...[B)]

Trinity +++

350 4 dr 8ft bed here always parked in the outfield and why the 19 y/o truck has 0 Parking lot dents.
    Good exercise too. I LOL at the lazy circling the lot for a close space.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,506 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Itcdoty,

These pantywaists are blowing sunshine up your *.

You do need to turn in your man card.

You do need to learn to park the vehicle you own.

I guess I could understand if you were driving an F-350 quad cab dually, but really? An F-150?

Get your * out there and learn to use your tools properly.

Once you do that, get a short wheel-base trailer and practice parking it in your garage next to your wife's car, or your Prius, which ever applies.

Don

[:)]
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    Itcdoty,

These pantywaists are blowing sunshine up your *.

You do need to turn in your man card.

You do need to learn to park the vehicle you own.

I guess I could understand if you were driving an F-350 quad cab dually, but really? An F-150?

Get your * out there and learn to use your tools properly.

Once you do that, get a short wheel-base trailer and practice parking it in your garage next to your wife's car, or your Prius, which ever applies.

Don

[:)]
    Well said, Don!
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy a chevy...problem solved. [8D]
    Pickup trucks these days are wider than they used to be, so consider that.
  • Options
    47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Commercial properties are required to have so many parking spaces for the amount of customers they expect.

In my Silverado I'm usually touching the line at the left front and right rear.
  • Options
    47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Commercial properties are required to have so many parking spaces for the amount of customers they expect.

In my Silverado I'm usually touching the line at the left front and right rear.
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to have a 2008 F-350 quad cab dualy King Ranch edition with an 8? bed.

Yea, you couldn?t park it easy in an average parking space, so I always parked it away from everyone else. My wife hated driving it, or I would still have it. She didn?t like parking it, nor having to fill up the 38 gal tank with diesel that at the time was costing us around $4.35 a gallon.

But, I never had a problem parking our F-150?s, and I have owned numerous over the years.

Trinity +++
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Dodge gets two parking spaces.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can't park a little F-150 on the first try, how did you ever get your man card.. hell I know women that can do it..[}:)]
  • Options
    Ford 23Ford 23 Member Posts: 3,129
    edited November -1
    Feel better thought I had lost it parking my 150. Had a 4X2 previous to this 2011 4X4 which was no real problem parking Ford must have changed the turning radius of the 4X4

Seems they have also narrowed the aisles as there does not seem to be the swing room as in the past.
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This makes me feel a little better. I've had 4 different F-150s since 2002. In the local county seat the downtown area has diagonal parking. I never used to have any trouble getting lined up with the stripes until I got this latest F-150 in 2015. Now I can't seem to get squared away without at least a couple tries.

After reading this post I remembered that they repaved the street about the same time I bought my new truck, and of course they also re-stripped the lanes too.

I never thought about that. [:0]