In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Atopica is working Cocker Spaniel ear problems

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,913 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
This last visit to the vet we were given this medicine for our Cocker Spaniel. It seems to be working. She has had problems with her ears her entire life. I can't imagine what some of these dogs go through. This is our pampered queen of the house. If she were left outside.....or had ended up with a family that didn't deal with her ears daily like we do she probobly would be deaf or would have lost her ears by now.

If any of you have a dog that constantly scratches their ears.....ask your vet about Atopica. It is pricey, but is working on our dog.
LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• 8000fthi8000fthi Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    This last visit to the vet we were given this medicine for our Cocker Spaniel. It seems to be working. She has had problems with her ears her entire life. I can't imagine what some of these dogs go through. This is our pampered queen of the house. If she were left outside.....or had ended up with a family that didn't deal with her ears daily like we do she probobly would be deaf or would have lost her ears by now.

If any of you have a dog that constantly scratches their ears.....ask your vet about Atopica. It is pricey, but is working on our dog.
    Ask your Vet about getting it compounded, it is much cheeper than Novartis Atopica.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,913 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What would that mean to get it compounded?
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Your vet, or possibly you, could get the active ingredients and blend them.

We've been doing that with the solution we use in Lenny's ear. We can make roughly five quarts for what 12 ounces of prepared solution would cost.
  • 8000fthi8000fthi Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a Vet and most cities have compounding pharmacies that make drugs out of the generic drug. The cost will be roughly half of the trade name drug. I do think it is a very good drug for dogs that have allergy ear problems, instead of using steroids. The drug in Atopica is Cyclosporin, a drug used in transplant patients to help prevent organ rejection. It is an immune system suppressant.