In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Marathon screwing session!

slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Do you know how many screws go into a 3x5 piece of hardibacker board? 54! So for all you math gurus, how much is 54 x 20 pieces of hardibacker? THAT is how many f'n screws I put in today!

Comments

• GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Screw you![:D]
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    So you're saying you been screwing around all day?[}:)]

PS, it's cheating if you used a power screw driver![:0]
  • burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    1080 figuring in a typical 2 1/2 screw takes 3.5 secs to drive with a quality power tool it should have only taken 63 minutes, if........... you hired Juan and Pablo to have the board in place [:D][:o)][:D][:o)]
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by burdz19
    1080 figuring in a typical 2 1/2 screw takes 3.5 secs to drive with a quality power tool it should have only taken 63 minutes, if........... you hired Juan and Pablo to have the board in place [:D][:o)][:D][:o)]

I timed myself at @5 minutes/board - about 2 hours total.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slipgate

Can you imagine the old days of a screw driver and the muscle aches and blisters that would go along with it?[:0]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dheffley

Can you imagine the old days of a screw driver and the muscle aches and blisters that would go along with it?[:0]

Oh I have blisters anyway from the drill. My back is also killing me. I took 2 midol (they work!) and 3 aspirins.
    edited November -1
    Oh I have blisters anyway from the drill. My back is also killing me. I took 2 midol (they work!) and 3 aspirins.

I get that just from tying my shoes in the mornings these days. Old age ain't for sissies![:D]
  • RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    Something screwy about this!!
  • screwobamascrewobama Member Posts: 625
    edited November -1
    You would think someone would make some kind of adhesive for that type of job!
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    Do you know how many screws go into a 3x5 piece of hardibacker board? 54! So for all you math gurus, how much is 54 x 20 pieces of hardibacker? THAT is how many f'n screws I put in today!
    ah, but you have the joy of doing it yourself. Congrats!
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    So you're saying you been screwing around all day?[}:)]

PS, it's cheating if you used a power screw driver![:0]

[:D][:D][:D]

Was the Mrs. part of this activity???
    edited November -1

Midol...isn't that for a period? If it's anything like Advil, you probably should not take it the same time you are taking asprin.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,909 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Midol.....with these two girls in the house we are ALWAYS out of it. Glad to hear you are making progress! I bet it looks GREAT when you are all the way done. Any plans on when you may be moving?
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did a similar job last year. As I finished up, I looked at my wife and said, "You wont believe this Honey, but I'm tired of screwing."
  • hooch31Lhooch31L Member Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thought the post would be about the 111th session of the United States Congress creating more taxes and wasting money (that we don't have).
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    Did you set the hardibacker in a bed of thinset mortar also?
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    54 screws in a 3x5 sheet of hardibacker?? I guess you didn't want it to go anywhere, huh? I would like to know exactly why so many screws for such a small piece of wood...
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thermonuclear
    54 screws in a 3x5 sheet of hardibacker?? I guess you didn't want it to go anywhere, huh? I would like to know exactly why so many screws for such a small piece of wood...

He is laying ceramic tile on a wood framed floor + it is not new construction, he wants to be as sure as possible that he is creating a surface that is going to be as stable as possible for his tile so as the tile will not flex and break bond with the floor.
  • Tile KingTile King Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

in the old days they set tiles in wetbed. no hardiebacker back then.
    edited November -1
    is this your place your tiling? maybe we can get some finished pics later? i always like to see other peoples work.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tile King

That's how the GC wants my next job done. However we are using wonderboard.

Do you use Hardibacker?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pietro75

Do you use Hardibacker?

yes. unless the customer wants a wetbed floor or walls. on walls, i'll put some plastic on the studs for a moisture barrier and screw it to the walls. on floors, i'll thinset it down and screw or nail it. i general only wetbed shower floors on a regular basis. its lighter and easier to use then wonderboard.
    edited November -1
    pietro75, i take it youre a tile setter also?

custom mason. i just looked at your profile. you do tile too?
    edited November -1

Do you use Hardibacker?

yes. unless the customer wants a wetbed floor or walls. on walls, i'll put some plastic on the studs for a moisture barrier and screw it to the walls. on floors, i'll thinset it down and screw or nail it. i general only wetbed shower floors on a regular basis. its lighter and easier to use then wonderboard.

Same here. Yes I am also a tile/terrazo setter.

P4300022.jpg
    P4300021.jpg
    P7160237.jpg
    here's a couple I just did, I'll take some pics. of the most recent shower tommorrow. It is really cool.
    edited November -1

Do you use Hardibacker?

Same here. Yes I am also a tile/terrazo setter.

P4300022.jpg
    P4300021.jpg
    P7160237.jpg
    here's a couple I just did, I'll take some pics. of the most recent shower tommorrow. It is really cool.

thats some nice work. epoxy or cement terrazzo? or both? i used to work for a company that did both. i was on an epoxy job, turns out i'm allergic to it. got a nasty, itchy rash and had to take some steroid pills the get rid of it. that sucked.
  • mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1

Is that all! I did 35 sheets in a day with a little help!
    edited November -1
    [/quote]
    thats some nice work. epoxy or cement terrazzo? or both? i used to work for a company that did both. i was on an epoxy job, turns out i'm allergic to it. got a nasty, itchy rash and had to take some steroid pills the get rid of it. that sucked.
    [/quote]

Cement terrazzo

I'll dig up some pics of a coouple cool jobs. In two weeks I am starting a mural that was hand painted by some Hoyty toyty artist.
    edited November -1

[/quote]

Cement terrazzo

I'll dig up some pics of a coouple cool jobs. In two weeks I am starting a mural that was hand painted by some Hoyty toyty artist.
    [/quote]
    i got some cool pics i'll post too. i set marble in a mansion in south florida (miami) that came out real nice. i'll get something together.
    edited November -1
    I used to have all my tile work done with wire lath...and what you guys are referring to as wet set. IMO, it's the only way to do a shower. It will last as long as the structure does. The only tile work that I've personally done is thin set though.
    edited November -1
    Did you set the hardibacker in a bed of thinset mortar also?

It seems there are two schools of thought on this one. Everyone that I personally know that uses hardibacker uses only screws. With 54 screws/piece, I can't imagine the thinset providing any additional stability for it. So no, I did not use any thinset under the board!
  • ridewotridewot Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    my mind was some were elese[}:)]