In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What kind of Mauser do I have? Russian??

tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
edited June 2009 in General Discussion
It is 43" OAL, Bbl is 23 1/8" Has (I believe) Russian writing on receiver. Under the crest is M48. On a banner in the crest is "29??1948" The bolt is turned down and flat on the bottom.

Rifle looks to be new and not refurbished.

There is no bolt hole in the stock, only sling slot.

It came wkith some ammo which I believe to be 8mm Turk.

I don't have calipers handy so that is about all I can furnish right now. Can anyone give me some insight on what I have? I didn't know the Russians made Mausers? Tom

Comments

• Options
    pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    maybe this site will help you identify ordnance codes on the rifle.

I believe you have an M48 Yugoslavian k98 short rifle mauser go here to see this one

http://www.surplusrifle.com/yugom48/index.asp
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Post a picture. My Russian father-in-law is visiting and is knowledgeable on Russian military rifles.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,345 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Russkies never made a Mauser, they were making Mosin Nagants.
    However, due to some problems with the German invasion of 1940, the Russians captured a hell of a lot of German Mausers.
    Most of these were reworked. I would not be surprised if there were Russian marking put on the rifle.
    All of these would have been 8mm.
    That 8mm Turk ammo is some good ammo, a little hot, corrosive, of course, but pretty good ammo.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    M48.jpg

I think this is your rifle.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I believe those guys are right.
    The Yugoslavs use the same alphabet as the Russians, so it could be an original Yugo, and have never been in Russia.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Pietro et al, Thank you very much. You nailed it as Yugo. It is one very nice military rifle.

No wonder I couldn't identify the crest looking at Russian iron.

Funny thing, it came with two pouches of Turk ammo. Thought it looked familiar and dug up some old Turk stuff i had and same headstamp! I am having trouble gettking it to chamber, really have to force. Maybe haven't gotten all the junk out of the chamber. Will work on that tonight.

Again, thanks to all who helped me identify this thing. Tom
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Give the headstamp of the Turk ammo, I may be able to give some info about it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Allen, I have two different headstamps. This is from (I think) SOG a few years ago: 79/FS/1949/T /Turk cresent with star/C. Primer sealed with black substance. The other which was received with the rifle:
    79/FS/1943/T/Turk cresent with star/C, also sealed with black substance.

Do you know where the import stamp will be?? I can't find one anywhere. Thanks, Tom
  • Options
    dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    it could be a turkish mauser, they certainly used them in ww1...i`m not sure what they used after that though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dan, Pietro nailed it, it is a Yugo. I have several of the Turk mausers and this is MUCH better than any of them. However, it has not gone thru a war either!! Pietro has also posted a picture and gave a web site to check. The pictures are exact.

Also, now that I know what to look for, there are several on GB up for auction. Most are 48A's and mine is an earlier M48. Can't wait to get to shoot it. Tom
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If it is import marked, it would be on the bottom of the barrel, near the muzzle.
    If you are lucky, you have no import marks. Some of those import marks made with the electric pencil are so ugly they ruin the looks of the gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you got a nice rifle. I love those old mausers. Chambering problems as you stated could easily be from build up of cosmoline.

Here is a site to give info. on removal of cosmo from metal.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu23.htm
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    Pietro is on the money.

The M48's were the first all-Yugo incarnation of the '98. They were followed by the M48A, with a stamped guard. The predecessors were the M24, made on contract for the Yugos by the Czechs and Belgians, and the M24/47, which were M24's that were later reworked by the Yugos.

Any Yugo Mauser is a well-made piece.

The Yugo version of Cyrillic differs only in a couple of characters from the Russian Cyrillic.
  • Options
    Saxon PigSaxon Pig Member Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Yugos are nice examples of the 98 design. I was surprised to learn that they were manufactured all the way until 1960. I have one that is an unusual variation.

In 1955 Egypt ordered 3,000 of these with no markings (except a separate serial number) to supply clandestine military operations. But something happened and they were never delivered. In the 1980s they were sold to an importer and offered to the public. I bought this one around 1986 or so for $69. They were advertised as "Mystery Mausers" due to the utter lack of markings. They are actually correctly called the M48 BO with BO being the initials (in Yugoslavian) for "without markings."

standard.jpg