In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CMP Garand purchase

bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
edited February 2012 in General Discussion
I've finally decided to buy a Garand from CMP. I'm not looking for anything close to a beauty queen, just an occasional shooter. Also, not at all concerned with matching numbers and such.

Should I pay the extra $100 for service grade, or just get the field grade?

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Service grade is the best value, & also the most usable. Field grade rifles may not have much barrel life left; rack grade rifles always need a new barrel.

Neal
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Service Grade, and I was pleasantly surprised at its condition. I say go for it.
  • Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Service Grade. You will not be disappointed![8D]
  • Options
    TempestTempest Member Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ditto on service grade.

I got just what I was looking for, a Winchester there last year.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bhale187
    Should I pay the extra $100 for service grade.......?Yes!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same here, it's worth it.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spend the extra hundred.
    What's next?
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GreatGuns
    I have purchased five (5) rifles and carbines over the years through the CMP and only the first one purchased 25+ years ago was "acceptable". The others all had serious issues (mechanical and cosmetic) and we're actually this side of pieces of crap. I would not purchase a current offering from CMP unless it was a "screaming deal" (and they simply aren't giving deals any longer). [V]

If I were you, I'd buy one from a reputable seller on the auction side and side-step the "Hand Picked," "Field Grade," "Service Grade" nonsense. [;)]

So you kept getting this side of "pieces of crap"...and kept buying? [?]
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sincerely hope you get a better gun from the CMP than I did. I would never buy one again unless it was from one of the stores where I could see it in person first. Now, bear in mind that based on comments and photos posted by other CMP buyers, it appears that I am only one to receive a disappointing rifle from the CMP.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GreatGuns
    I have purchased five (5) rifles and carbines over the years through the CMP and only the first one purchased 25+ years ago was "acceptable". The others all had serious issues (mechanical and cosmetic) and we're actually this side of pieces of crap. I would not purchase a current offering from CMP unless it was a "screaming deal" (and they simply aren't giving deals any longer). [V]

If I were you, I'd buy one from a reputable seller on the auction side and side-step the "Hand Picked," "Field Grade," "Service Grade" nonsense. [;)]

Same here, my DCM/CMP Garand looked like it had been run over by a tank. This was in 2000 or maybe 1999. Will never buy another one. I think I spent $450 or $500- dont' remember for sure. I sold it and did not buy anymore from DCM/CMP.

Spend the money and get one from a reputable dealer.
    formerly known as warpig883
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,698 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,038 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mark G
    Service Grade. You will not be disappointed![8D]
    Ditto!
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=271724099#.TyYPD7phQLM.facebook

LF, that one is more better than the service grade and worth the extra bucks.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd buy from CMP again, and I would not buy anything less than Service Grade. From what I have seen on GB most "Field Grade" CMP rifles sell for more than what CMP charges for a Service Grade, so you're not gonna lose money on it.
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pay it.

trust me...
  • Options
    firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can't go to the CMP North Store at Camp Perry (the closest one to you) in person, definitely order the Service Grade.

"I have purchased five (5) rifles and carbines over the years through the CMP and only the first one purchased 25+ years ago was "acceptable". The others all had serious issues (mechanical and cosmetic) and we're actually this side of pieces of crap. I would not purchase a current offering from CMP unless it was a "screaming deal" (and they simply aren't giving deals any longer)." - posted by GreatGuns

Not trying to start anything here, but the CMP has the most outstanding customer service that I've ever encountered. If you do get one with mechanical issues, they will make it right.

Read the grade descriptions carefully. And keep in mind that you can very possibly get one exactly as described. I read the CMP forums for a while before ordering my first Service Grade. Compared to many of the rifles that others got, mine was not as nice. But I re-read the grade description again and realized that it met or exceeded all requirements. Most of the rifles posted there are the exceptional ones, the ones with the "wow" factor. What you will get is a rifle that is in a condition that would qualify it to be issued to troops if the M1 was still being used. And that is plenty good enough for me.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the idea is you have buy more than one then mix and match em.

There is no all matching numbers with Garands. They are all parts guns.

I too have been meaning to join the CMP but figure it will easily cost me $1500+.

Figure they have the best price on ammo and you can't just buy one gun.
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The service grades the CMP has now are the best they've ever been!!
    If your close to one of the stores, Port Clinton Ohio or Anniston Alabama take the trip there and hand pick one/two. If your not sure what to look for there will be others there to help.
    For +/- $650 the service grades are by far the best buy right now especially if you get one with a USGI walnut stock/handguards.
    Correct grades are $1175 and a fine rifle but not $500 better IMO.
    If you mail order one you might get one with a new birch replacement stock that has an orangeish look to it. Many don't like the color but the benifit is the birch stocks have great lockup.
    If you do go to the store you might be able to find a nice WWII field grade rifle if you prefer the historical side of the M1 to save yourselfe $100(gas $$$)but don't count on that if you mail order a field grade. You might even find a WWII service grade at the store but those are becoming scarce for the simple fact that they are more desireable and are snatched up quick.
  • Options
    firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GreatGuns - "Also, in order for them to satisfy my needs, it would have required each to be returned at my expense, making the costs even higher."

The third Service Grade M1 that I bought had a large nick in the muzzle. They do state that the muzzle might have some nicks but this particular one actually displaced metal into the bore. I emailed them a picture and they sent me a prepaid FedEx carton. I used it to return the rifle at their expense and they replaced it with a beauty. No cost to me, just as it should be.

Did you buy that first M1 through the old DCM program? That was the only option 25 years ago. The CMP was chartered in 1996; it's just going on its 16th year. http://www.odcmp.com/Comm/About_Us.htm

I have eight Garands purchased through the CMP program - a mixture of Service grades, Field Grades and even one Rack Grade. And that is nothing compared to Mark Christian's collection/hoard. All of mine were as good or better than the description that the CMP offers on their sales page (after they promptly replaced that one Service Grade). I'm sorry that you did not fare as well.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last I heard the CMP was slap out of M1s with little hope of ever seeing another one, and if they did the prices would be astronomical.

I've only had one M1. It was a really nice Springfield and I let a guy talk me into trading it for two pistols. I wanted it back before it was out of sight.

Then I saw this thread and checked the CMP website. My order hit the mail about two o'clock this afternoon. [:)]

There have been a couple of nice changes at CMP. They let you order by manufacturer and you can use a credit card. I wish they would let us pick the wood.

I'd like to go to the store, but that's outside the bounds of reason.

Thanks for starting the thread bhale.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's a Garand thread without Garand pictures.
    Here's my Dannish Var barreled Garand that came from the CMP.

5635482225_4d5ff923a7_b.jpg
  • Options
    badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs
    What's a Garand thread without Garand pictures.
    +1

photo.jpg
    Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.