In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Howling Dog Days

Fly DoctorFly Doctor Member Posts: 5,053
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Some domestically violent losers moved into a rental house just upriver from me some months back. They brought with 'em a big, aggressive American Pit that's howled since the day they moved in. Workin' out of my home, it drives me nuts from the time they leave for work/school until they get home. It also charges my poor cattle dog, crossing an empty property, when she's just squattin' to take a wizz out in the orchard on our land. It's charged other neighbors and their dogs as well while walkin' on the county road.

I've complained to the renters and the landowner, to little avail. Any corrections have proved only temporary at best. The landowner's now disconnected her phone and refuses my mail. Even called the county Animal Control officer - what a waste of time. She told me to offer the aggressive mutt treats and make friends with it! (Only in the Land O' Fruits & Nuts! [:(!]) I did wind up learnin' from the call that the losers had lived in town with two such dogs, the worst which had to be euthanized. Probably why they moved out into the sticks here.

So, I'm aimin' to get some pepper spray for when it returns here... to start out playin' nice.
Any other thoughts - particularly on the howlin'?
Creativity gets you bonus points! [;)]

Comments

• searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Ain't too creative, but I expect a 45/70 would solve your problem admirably.
  • penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
    You could quinch its thirst with a bowl of antifreeze. Its a sweet flavor for your last meal.[}:)]
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lived where I am since 94. Neighbor to the North sold out. Now I have a new neighbor.

Two dogs show up at his place and are agressive to him. What does he do comes over and tells me to get my Dogs. So I tell him to shoot them I don't have any dogs just cats.

Now he goes out and gets a little yapper dog. Last Sunday I was working outside whole time this dog just will not shut up. Drives me nuts. Well from me to him is about 200 yards.

Finally I've had enough. Out comes my old Marine Voice "Shut that F%^&&^ing Dog up." Have not heard it since.

I do have a neighbor a little farther away. His dog barks once in a blue Moon. So that one only Barks when somethings up. I can live with that. But that dogs bark would scare a pack of wolves. Raises the hair on the back of my neck every time.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I have a neighbor about 300 yards away with an undisciplined, large dog that barks just to hear itself.

I spoke to the neighbor, and she basically said; "T>S> You live in the country and my dog can bark anytime or all the time. I had been being nice. I told her: " Well, if you won't train your dog, I will."

Sooo, when the dog would start to bark, I'd step out on the deck, yell "Quiet" and light off a .40 into my flower garden. The dog wouldn't bark for a day or so.

After about four or five of these cycles, all it takes now is for me to yell "Quiet" and the dog quits for a couple of days.

Neighbor * about the gunfire and I told her: " You live in the county. It's legal to discharge a firearm whenever I want to"

Pissed off neighbor, quiet dawg.

Works for me.

Doug
  • cnsaycnsay Member Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could post on Craigs list and give it away to a good home, only contact between 9-5 weekdays....
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,867 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    The best kind.
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by penetraitor
    You could quinch its thirst with a bowl of antifreeze. Its a sweet flavor for your last meal.[}:)]

I'd like to quinch your thirst with a bowl of antifreeze. If a animal needs to be put down do it in a human way. Nothing wrong with a round to the head. ( sorry man i tried to shoe it away but it charged me ) works well for a cover story.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,867 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hk-91

I'd like to quinch your thirst with a bowl of antifreeze. If a animal needs to be put down do it in a human way. Nothing wrong with a round to the head. ( sorry man i tried to shoe it away but it charged me ) works well for a cover story.
    Exactly. I don't even torture spiders or bees.
  • rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    I have a neighbor about 300 yards away with an undisciplined, large dog that barks just to hear itself.

I spoke to the neighbor, and she basically said; "T>S> You live in the country and my dog can bark anytime or all the time. I had been being nice. I told her: " Well, if you won't train your dog, I will."

Sooo, when the dog would start to bark, I'd step out on the deck, yell "Quiet" and light off a .40 into my flower garden. The dog wouldn't bark for a day or so.

After about four or five of these cycles, all it takes now is for me to yell "Quiet" and the dog quits for a couple of days.

Neighbor * about the gunfire and I told her: " You live in the county. It's legal to discharge a firearm whenever I want to"

Works for me.

Doug

Damn good idea there. I'll file that away in the ole card catalog.
  • moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    quote:I have a neighbor about 300 yards away with an undisciplined, large dog that barks just to hear itself.

Works for me.

Doug

Doug
    think that would work for neighbors?
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a high speed lead bug to the doggy dome works everytime. An agressive dog on my property is a dead dog. Nice dogs I'll tolerate.

I'd be damned careful spraying it with mace, It might go crazy and kill somebody.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree if it is agressive towards me on my property it is dead. However the training method works well too, I had some hispanic folks living across from me who had a rooster, one time it crowed I fired a bottle rocket. I have not heard that rooster since.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Just one time with that charging stuff and it wouldn't be a problem any longer in this world....
  • mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    Hows about , let your neighbour moves the dog on themselves. Feed the mutt a sandwich of meat spread & diced chilli peppers , bananas sliced etc, in moderation. It will make such a mess , the neigbours will either fall out with the dog or move it on ! But it will love you for feeding it [;)]
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by moonshine
    quote:I have a neighbor about 300 yards away with an undisciplined, large dog that barks just to hear itself.

Works for me.

Doug

Doug
    think that would work for neighbors?

'shine -

I'm pretty sure it would. It's important that people like that believe you are nuts and unpredictable.

Which, of course, in my case is true.

Doug
  • minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    Dogs have hearing superior to humans and will often respond to another dog out of your hearing range. Its usually just a couple of barks though.

However my Beagle hound sometimes barks at invisible owls... just to make me get up and holler at him. [B)]

(I'm learning,all I gotta do is rustle a tater chip bag and he shows up)

[:D]

Constant yappers OWNERS need a swift boot.

Allen
  • penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MT357

A couple of left wing extreemist I see.

Do me a favor and don't eat meat! I'd hate to think a cow, pig, chicken lost its life to feed your *. Also make sure animals that are attacking your children, have the same rights as you b!tches in court. Further more, make sure you do not ever euthanize an animal for its own good. Just make it suffer.

I was attacked by a dog when I was around 3 or 4. I've got no problems with making sure it does not happen to my kids.

I think this thread was about creativity. Not about who could complain.

People like you two, starve my freedoms, and create new laws everyday.

Are you a law maker or something?
  • guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MT357

A couple of left wing extreemist I see.

Do me a favor and don't eat meat! I'd hate to think a cow, pig, chicken lost its life to feed your *. Also make sure animals that are attacking your children, have the same rights as you b!tches in court. Further more, make sure you do not ever euthanize an animal for its own good. Just make it suffer.

I was attacked by a dog when I was around 3 or 4. I've got no problems with making sure it does not happen to my kids.

I think this thread was about creativity. Not about who could complain.

People like you two, starve my freedoms, and create new laws everyday.

Are you a law maker or something?

You sir, are a jerk.

got guns?
  • owen219owen219 Member Posts: 3,799
    edited November -1
    Use the old postmans trick. A good squirt gun filled with ammonia. He won't bother you anymore but it won't kill him. Works everytime. Not authorized by post office though. Secret postman trick.
  • burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1

I made a statement like once as a joke and a lot of guys ate my butt for it [;)]
  • burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    too late........ At least Remmy is on vacation [8)]

honestly the dog is a reflection on the owner not the dogs fault, even though I understand, but antifreeze is a very painful death undeserved, tap to the back of the head if it has to be done. Just my .02

b
  • Fly DoctorFly Doctor Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I blame the owners - not the dog. But the reality is that it'll be the aggressive Pit that'll be chompin' down on my dog, not the wife-beatin' owner. (Beat her on Christmas, no less.) And, contrary to my spineless Animal Control officer's advice, I'm not waitin' for that to happen to ridiculously "press charges" and waste time and money with the law and lawyers while my best friend lays bleedin' or dead.

I like the postal ammonia idea to start. My concern over the use of the potent Fox 18% Capsacin spray I have comin' is that it may backlash onto my dog or me with a little breeze. Not somethin' I'd like to start the mornin' with. [;)]

I also like the idea of feedin' the dog some raunchy food to punish the owners... Maybe some beans with a little corn and cabbage mixed in. What else produces some bad, smelly runs in dogs?

But if ideas like these don't work, I'm gonna have to flip a coin to choose the caliber of my final solution. Feel sorry for the dog, but what're ya gonna do.
  • chiligunguychiligunguy Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    next door had a pit, used to get loose all the time. finally went overt and talked to guy, told me to get stuffed. "Called dog warden and they told me if it growles at you shoot it.

Hes not there anymore! Was shooting ak and he growled at me. That german training ammo is wicked.