In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Conceal/Carry Opinion

barbwiredbarbwired Member Posts: 8,254
edited June 2010 in General Discussion
Would you rather have a bigger gun like something to fit in a holster or just something like a seecamp .32 good ammo that would just fit in your pocket. Like a get off me gun?

Comments

• Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best of both worlds...Kahr PM45.

45 in a pocket pistol.

For me, the P45 carries just fine and is "full" size
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    cnsaycnsay Member Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have both types, and if I am going to be working hard or dressed in very light clothing then the little P-32 gets the nod. Better a small gun than no gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cubslover G16
    Best of both worlds...Kahr PM45.

45 in a pocket pistol.

For me, the P45 carries just fine and is "full" size
    I picked up a seecamp at the gun show this weekend i was carrying a .25 in my pocket but wanted more the .32 was a good deal so i bought it fits good in my pocket and if i feel a threat i can just stick my hand in my pocket no one knows if i'm going for the keys , money , or just a little pocket pool.
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometimes I carry a Beretta .22. I have NO DOUBT it will do the job.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry the same gun the same way every day. A Smith & Wesson Model 60-9 .357 Magnum in a pocket holster.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    S&W 642 in a pocket holster - fires every time I pull the trigger[:D]
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry the largest caliber and most capacity I can comfortably carry. Usually it's a .40S&W with 10 rounds. Sometimes it's 8 rounds of .357 mag. Occasionally 7 rounds of .32 acp.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Actually there is no such thing as a "Get off me Gun" . Sounds like you mean an intimidation gun. Using a gun to intimidate is against the law. You pull it you better use it and have a damn good reason, and in that case size does matter as to caliber used.[;)]
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    I think what is meant by a "get off me gun," is a small gun meant for use at extreme close quarters, say at arms-length. Someone bigger, stronger, younger, and meaner lays hands on you, and you pull a teeny gun from your pocket and use it to disengage him. I think such a scenario, especially for one who is paying attention to his surroundings, is pretty rare.

Also rare, but more common, would be a scenario where an antagonist is seriously threatening you or others, and the distance is close, but far enough away that you might need a gun that you can hit something with at 30 feet or so. Such an incident happened in Commerce, Texas, where an off-duty deputy sheriff helped take out a madman with a rifle and a pistol in Walmart. He made a couple of hits on the bad guy with his .357 revolver. Had he a tiny gun, he might not have hit the bad guy, or if he did, the hits wouldn't have been as decisive.

Personally, I carry the same gun concealed that I carry on my duty belt. It is reasonably compact, but not small. It holds 13 rounds of .40 caliber ammo, so with a spare mag on my belt, I have a total of 25 rounds available. I can hit a man-size silhouette with it at 50 yards if need be.

I figure if I need to shoot at someone, I probably should have as good a chance of getting the job done off-duty as I would on-duty.

Rarely, I must forego the duty sidearm, and use a real hideout gun as a primary weapon. I don't feel comfortable carrying a tiny gun as primary, but I don't do it often.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My Motto is "If you need more than one shot,you might be in trouble"[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my 642 is compact enough to just slide in my frong pocket, or nicley into the small of the back...38 +P golden sabers have plenty of knock down.

Lately I have been considering picking up a kel-tec in 380 or 32 for a NY reload....it would probably fit nicely in a back-pocket and not noticed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For summer carry, I'd like a .38 Special +P Airweight revolver...it'll fit in your front pocket and has plenty of firepower for most encounters. My 1911 subcompact is just too big.
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    My Sig P225 goes with me every it is legal. [8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    Actually there is no such thing as a "Get off me Gun" . Sounds like you mean an intimidation gun. Using a gun to intimidate is against the law. You pull it you better use it and have a damn good reason, and in that case size does matter as to caliber used.[;)]
    What I mean BY GET OFF ME GUN is I have no other option but to use the weapon, My life is in danger , I'm not running around pulling out a weapon to show it, I have to get a guy off me! [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Kel-Tec .380 is a good firearm. Easy to stick in pocket and not be noticed. My Smith model 40 is my primary carry gun though. .38+P JHP is enough to get the job done.
  • Options
    JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMG_0302_037.jpg

I carry both Seecamp and a J-frame.

You may consider an aluminum framed pocket revolver in a large caliber like a Smith and Wesson 340.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,462 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of the time a ruger sp101 .357
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dano
    I'd be very leery of carrying a small caliber gun for self-defense.

Physical size might be convenient at times, but when you are pointing a gun at another, my mindset is not thinking wounding.

For me, .380 / .38 special minimum.

Agreed, except that IMO a .380 isn't enough gun for a primary weapon. It falls down in the back-up gun category.

The first rule of a gunfight is to have enough gun.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I ever live in a state with CCW, I will likely carry either a Glock 26, S&W 642 or Kahr P380
  • Options
    But If NotBut If Not Member Posts: 104 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a big gun and I have a little gun. I carry the big one whenever I can and the little one whenever I have to due to clothing constraints.
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    38 snub nose is my ultimate favorite, but still no Substitute for a battle rifle
  • Options
    wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1
    Ideally I'd carry a handcannon with a 100 round drum. But the gun that you carry is better than the one you leave at home. Carry the biggest gun you can comfortably carry. I am often in shorts and a Tshirt so I carry a keltec pf9, not as big as I'd like but I can't conceal a full size 1911 in shorts and a t shirt.