In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Death by cow

oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
edited March 2011 in General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    That was a heck of a way to go .[xx(]
  • Options
    oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe, Dennis. Advice to cops and cowboys- be aware![;)]
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I have always been under the the impression that cows were fairly harmless.I guess any injured animal,with that kind of muscle mass can kill a man easily..
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    I have always been under the the impression that cows were fairly harmless.I guess any injured animal,with that kind of muscle mass can kill a man easily..
    True about any animal that's injured, but cattle's behavior also varies by breed.

For example, Holsteins are very laid back and docile in most all situations. If you get them upset they're usually more of a danger to themselves than others.

On the other hand, Brahma have a mind of their own and can become agressive at the drop of a hat.

Now bulls are a different story....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs
    True about any animal that's injured, but cattle's behavior also varies by breed.

For example, Holsteins are very laid back and docile in most all situations. If you get them upset they're usually more of a danger to themselves than others.

On the other hand, Brahma have a mind of their own and can become agressive at the drop of a hat.

I had a cousin killed by a Holstein bull back in the 60's ,and I have had to run for my life more than once from one .
    The only breed that really scares me is the Charlois (spelling?).
    I had one of them run through a barbed wire fence to try to get me !
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1

Cows can be mean and ugly when they went to be. I have 6 right now and even though I have raised them from the bottle and follow me around like puppies, I would never turn my back on them. When working in close to them I always have a * in my hand. Same thing with my hogs. My 600 # boar can crush a man in seconds. I know a man that was put into a wheel chair from a 90# billy goat.

Having been raised on a dairy farm I have seen about all their nasty tricks. Some days they are gentle lambs and some days they are hell on hooves.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MMOMEQ-55
    Having been raised on a dairy farm I have seen about all their nasty tricks. Some days they are gentle lambs and some days they are hell on hooves.

And that can change in a second !
    The one that killed my cousin was a gentle bull that went beserk for around 5 seconds .
  • Options
    bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trapguy2007

I had a cousin killed by a Holstein bull back in the 60's ,and I have had to run for my life more than once from one .

An older gentleman in Goldtwaite Texas was killed by a bull when we lived there. Evidently the bull tried to mount him , he was in his 70's if I remember right. Not a good way to go...got to watch them all the time. I know I've been put on the fence a few times over the years..
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cattle ... sound like runaway trucks with radar or homing devices attached. Lotta weight and just smart enough to cause harm. What a shame!
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trapguy2007
    Was that a bull?
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are crazy cattle, just like crazy people, dogs or any other mammal. I have seen 400# steers that would try to take you. There isn't any such thing as a gentle bull.
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    I was in a field with my grandad feeding the cows (Brown Swiss) when one of them decided I would make a good plaything. She came at me with her head down,picked me up and tossed me like a rag.Then she did it again several times.I was scared shirtless.
    I don't think she meant any harm,just was having fun. I've seen cows act that way with each other,especially in the spring when they are let out in the pasture for their first taste of fresh/new grass of the season.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When it is your time, its your time.
  • Options
    Wyatt EarpWyatt Earp Member Posts: 5,871
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    When it is your time, its your time.

Yep. God intended to get you with that truck, but you slipped away at the last second. He meant for you to go by falling off your roof, but you landed safely in the bushes. Losing patience with you, He said "Heck with it, I'm gonna run him down with a cow; he'll never be expecting that."
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    must have forgotten to show the cow his badge.
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Cows are big, stupid and jumpy.

A heady mix indeed...
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I had a few cows when I lived in Kentucky, you did not want to get into the stall with this one. She would pin you agains the wall and keep leaning on you.
  • Options
    thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    She would pin you agains the wall and keep leaning on you.

That's exactly why you shouldn't start an amorous relationship with your livestock. [:D]
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was about eleven or twelve years old I was at a friend's house sitting on a pile of firewood. My friend's brother, Dorson, said he was going to run a cow over me. I wasn't concerned because I didn't think he was stupid enough to risk crippling the cow, and I knew a cow wouldn't walk up a woodpile.

When the cow came up the woodpile I still wasn't worried because I knew she would do anything she could to avoid running over me. When she was on top of me I changed my mind and decided it was time to get away. I must have zigged when I should have zagged because she kicked me in the head. The scar was faded out in less than a year and almost completely gone in about two.

Some folks attribute my level of intelligence to that incident. Be that as it may, I haven't trusted my knowledge of animal behavior after that.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    btkbtk Member Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't trust anyone named Dorson.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I knew better than to go into the stall with her, She trapped the Vet in there.
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never had a problem with cattle. A young ungelded mule is a whole different story! Don't believe it when they tell you a mule only has two back legs. Sounded like a machine gun as those back legs were slamming into the stall wall as I was movin and groovin trying to keep from getting killed. After several minutes found out I could clear a 6 foot plus stall wall with no problem. Never even touched the wall. First and last mule I ever owned.
  • Options
    AzhunterAzhunter Member Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess it knew what you were trying to do!!!![:0]
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MMOMEQ-55

Cows can be mean and ugly when they went to be. I have 6 right now and even though I have raised them from the bottle and follow me around like puppies, I would never turn my back on them. When working in close to them I always have a * in my hand. Same thing with my hogs. My 600 # boar can crush a man in seconds. I know a man that was put into a wheel chair from a 90# billy goat.

that's been my experience with them. Didn't Patrick McManus catalog a lot of cows' meanness?
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, it's not as bad as "death by donkey" ....
  • Options
    hooch31Lhooch31L Member Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

My grandfather had a Brahma bull named Tojo. He was a mean one. Chased my grandfather and 2 other men out of the pasture once. My grandfather started to keep the .410 handy and the bull learned to run away when he heard the single shot close.