In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hanging Deer

waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2017 in General Discussion
I always like to hang my deer 3 days, weather permitting. Then I will butcher them my self. Had some people tell me they butcher it the same day they shoot it, no need to hang it. What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    I never have the option. always too warm around here. I remember a butcher saying if its above 35 degrees they are not aging. they are rotting.
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no need, but depending on the geographical area where you live you can't hang a carcass unless it's in a cooler.

Understand that if you live in cooler climates it's still not recommended that you hang a carcass (deer) or otherwise unless the temperature is 40 degrees or lower.

Also, aging meat is actually a form of decompensation. Fancy restaurants don't even attempt this unless they have spent thousands of dollars on high-tech temperature controlled aging coolers.

I have been in many situation where I "had" to hang a deer for a few days, and even had to pack the chest area with ice, but it got cut as soon as I could get to it.

Proper aging requires the hyde to be removed also. A carcass bag should be used. If flies start buzzing it's too warm to hang.

Trinity +++
  • Options
    dbain99dbain99 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Weather permitting I'll let it hang a couple days but in central Louisiana that's often not the case. More likely I'll skin, gut, remove backstraps & tenderloins, then quarter and put it on ice for a couple days. Then I'll debone the quarters into cutlets that will be tenderized and cooked chicken fried steak style. I'll leave the tenderloins as they are prepared with heavy salt and pepper pan seared in brown butter. I cut each backstrap in half as roasts for the smoker.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Butcher,skins mine then hangs it in his cooler for three days before cutting it for purpose...Great Cube Steak,and the best ground meat ever...
  • Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hang deer from 1 day, to sometimes 2 weeks.

I butcher myself, and, weather permitting, I wait till after my season is over, and do 4-8 deer,two at a time till done.

It's usually well below zero, so they are frozen solid.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's cold enough let them hang a week or more. Generally not cold enough here.
  • Options
    204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    shot mine around 7 in the morning. it was in the freezer by about 2 or 3. high was around 50 that day I believe.
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many years ago we .my brothers and I , built a walk-in cooler .We have been hanging and aging our venison for about 30 years or so . Cooler is kept between 36 and 38 degrees and we hang for 5 to 7 days .Time depends on what else we got going on as much as anything .The cooler uses a compressor unit out of a drink vending machine ,a circulation fan and the walls are 6 inch thick foam insulated panels used in construction of farrowing houses .AS we all work in the ag business and are scroungers to boot total cost is maybe $150.00
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    Got a muzzleloader buck hanging in the garage tonight. I took the hide off and rinsed him out with the water hose. I will commence to butchering tomorrow, it will be to warm here to let him hang.

Tenderloin for breakfast along with potatoes and eggs fried in bacon grease, then sharpen the knives and get at the rest of him. [:)]
  • Options
    themountainmanthemountainman Member Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends how hungry I am.
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those who can do math and those who can't. :?
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TrinityScrimshaw
    There is no need, but depending on the geographical area where you live you can't hang a carcass unless it's in a cooler.

Understand that if you live in cooler climates it's still not recommended that you hang a carcass (deer) or otherwise unless the temperature is 40 degrees or lower.

Also, aging meat is actually a form of decompensation. Fancy restaurants don't even attempt this unless they have spent thousands of dollars on high-tech temperature controlled aging coolers.

I have been in many situation where I "had" to hang a deer for a few days, and even had to pack the chest area with ice, but it got cut as soon as I could get to it.

Proper aging requires the hyde to be removed also. A carcass bag should be used. If flies start buzzing it's too warm to hang.

Trinity +++

About the flies; I read that flies won't take flight below 52?F, but they can withstand hours at 43?. Lower than that will kill them.
  • Options
    minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505

About the flies; I read that flies won't take flight below 52?F, but they can withstand hours at 43?. Lower than that will kill them.

I've warmed up a camp that had sat empty for months in below freezing weather, and huge flys started buzzing around after a couple hours. (Maybe the cracks where they hid had insulating qualitys?)
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of the time when people speak of gamey tasting venison it was because it was not properly handled.I always tried to let them hang a week in a walk in cooler at about 36 degrees.Ideal was to let them hang until the big tendions on the back legs,the ones you hang them on,start to get clear.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    At least 3 day hang.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in Charleston you ain't hanging meat outside!

My processor guy has a walk in cooler and I think he hangs three days.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,199 ******
    edited November -1
    Weather permitting, I hang mine, head down at least a day.
    If it?s too warm, I?ll bone it out and chill it before grinding.
    Same as too cold.
    Boning near frozen loins are no fun and make ugly loins.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Three days here also[:p]
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,916 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've hung them for 7 days at the right temps & also butchered them within a day. Mox-Nix.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,421 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey

Seven to eight days in a real cold shop,,,,,,,
    Yep, and 10 is even better.
  • Options
    evileye fleagalevileye fleagal Member Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our club hangs for a week in the walk in cooler, then we debone an cut the tough skin off, an drop in cooler with water, changing water daily about four days.
    Then all fat sinue is removed an made in to the cuts,adding beef tallow to the burger.

Bag an freeze, why all this work, taste, an no blood on the thaw out plate.
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey

Seven to eight days in a real cold shop,,,,,,,just ask ol' sure shot with his bucks ,,,,,,,[;)]

These will be in game bags shortly,,,,,

eyIfMB8l.jpg

[8D][^][:)]
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My across the road neighbor tells me the only way to do it is hang it indoors with hide on and innards removed for eight days. According to him seven days ain't enough and nine is too long. I believe he knows what he's doing because everything else he does comes out well.

I've always done it the other way. I field dress it as soon as it hits the ground. I skin, butcher and freeze it as soon as I get home with it no matter how dark and cold it is or how far behind me I'm dragging *. That's the part of deer hunting I don't miss. [:D]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,416 ******
    edited November -1
    I like to skin the carcass as soon as possible while the body temp is still warm. It is soooooo much easier and peels off with very little cutting!
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hanging a skinned deer in open air only achieves ONE THING: drying out the meat.
    I used to "hang" deer outside but temperature trends have made that impossible lately. It's either far too warm or the carcass freezes and you don't gain anything by hanging frozen meat.
    If we intend to butcher at home, I look at the predicted temperatures and pick a 3 day period of 20-30* overnight and under mid-40's day temps-then I go hunting. Our "hanging tree" is on the shady side of a brushy fencerow so the warmer afternoon sun doesn't warm the carcass too much.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,262 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have butchered scores of deer, at least 60. I have a meat grinder and have made many many pounds of deer sausage and burger.

I used to process the deer on the day I shot it. This worked well.
    But I noticed that when I pulled out a 2 pound package of frozen backstraps, there would be a lot of blood in the package.
    So, a while back, I learned of a good technique. You get a big cooler, like a 44 quart cooler. Quarter the deer, and put a gallon of water in the cooler along with 20 pounds of ice. Mix in a pound of table salt.

Put that deer meat in there and leave it for 3 or 4 days. If it suits your schedule you could leave it longer, not gonna rot at 33 degrees.
    Of course add ice as needed.
    This salt water bath will draw the blood out of the meat.
    You are aging the meat at a super cold temp so it won't rot, also flies can't get to it, also you are skinning it while warm when it is still easy to do so.
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    I have butchered scores of deer, at least 60. I have a meat grinder and have made many many pounds of deer sausage and burger.

I used to process the deer on the day I shot it. This worked well.
    But I noticed that when I pulled out a 2 pound package of frozen backstraps, there would be a lot of blood in the package.
    So, a while back, I learned of a good technique. You get a big cooler, like a 44 quart cooler. Quarter the deer, and put a gallon of water in the cooler along with 20 pounds of ice. Mix in a pound of table salt.

Put that deer meat in there and leave it for 3 or 4 days. If it suits your schedule you could leave it longer, not gonna rot at 33 degrees.
    Of course add ice as needed.
    This salt water bath will draw the blood out of the meat.
    You are aging the meat at a super cold temp so it won't rot, also flies can't get to it, also you are skinning it while warm when it is still easy to do so.

South Arkansas we have to put them in coolers soon I think the water (melted ice) in the cooler helps with blood as well

reckon I will have to add some salt and see how much that helps thanks