In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What is "accurate"?

AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
edited January 2018 in General Discussion
I've noticed the term "accurate" when applied to guns or ammo is quite subjective. Where 1-2 MoA is considered great by a hunter, it would be considered complete trash by an F-class shooter. Similarly for a plinker vs bulls-eye shooter.

So what do you consider accurate?

Comments

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I fall into the hunter group a few of my old rifles 1-2" would be outstanding or it could be me as I'm not as steady as I se to be
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pistols- as my dad would say

?Minute of paper plate? is acceptable.

In today?s day and age just about any rifle is going to do close to 1MOA if you do your job.

Like anything- you usually have to pay to play- and if a $300 Savage in 270 from Wally World can shoot close to 1MOA- if you want to be better than the next guy, get out your wallet.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    There's accuracy; which connotes a high degree of precision, and then there's precision; which connotes repeatable accuracy.[:)]

I'm not so deep into the F Class shooting that I forgot what a 1/2 minute of Javelina is, but most of the long arms I shoot are capable of hitting almost exactly where I want them to...off a solid rest.

I liked the Berger 210VLDs in my 300WM for the 6 & 800 yard shooting, but just had a gun built in the 6.5 Creedmore to tighten up my 1,000 yard game.
    4" is no mean feat, when you get hit with a tire iron every shot. That was my goal in the 300, and I got sorta close a few times.
    Looking forward to seeing what the 6.5 can do, I was talked out of the alternative caliber I was considering (6.5X284) by nononsense, and he might just know some things.

Accuracy is being able to hit what you shoot at, twice if necessary.
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the most part I fall in the hunter group 1 to 2 inch group is ok .If I get lucky or good and get smaller than that it is just gravy .In the past I chased the accuracy bug in my hunting rifles but soon grew tired of the game .For the most part my guns shoot better than I do
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    being able to just hit the barn[^]
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To me accurate is defined by the expected outcome. I expect a 6" group at 100 yards out of a large game hunting revolver. That would not be acceptable out of my encore pistol in .270.

There is minute of squirrel head, minute of deer, minute of charging rhino, .....................

If it can be depended upon for the intended application I consider it accurate.
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Accurate. I have several one hole custom rifles, they will out shoot me any day.
    Accurate, being able to hit what I am shooting at and you can't eat targets made of paper
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In today?s day and age just about any rifle is going to do close to 1MOA if you do your job.

Agreed. Most new modern bolt action centerfire rifles should have no problem delivering 1" groups at 100 yards from a bench rest while using a decent optic.

So for me, "accurate"
    -is a 1" or less group at 100 yards with a new modern bolt action centerfire rifle from a bench-

*Semi autos, lever actions, single shot rifles, carbines- 2" or less at 100 yards is completely acceptable for me* Just my .02
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    all I ever hunted with was a case of the gun was able to hit the target if I did my part. no I did not harvest every deer or bird but it was me not the firearm now when it comes to competitive pistol shooting it was more like auto Racing you need both shooter skill and equipment that is as good as your skills for NRA bullseye pistol this is each shot of the 270 in a match that pistol has to be able to shoot nothing out of a 3 inch group at 50 yards very few38 specials or 9MM used in centerfire or 45acp used in the 45acp stage of a match will hold that size group straight out of the box many 22 lr will shoot that or smaller
    there are classes of shooters and each class has a winner and place finish one of the goales is to make the 2600 club a score of 2600 out of possible 2700 that is a master class scoring rings 5 - 10 each target is 10 shots
  • Options
    lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Accuracy, to me, is repeatability and consistency to perform as expected every time the trigger is pulled. As discussed, an accurate deer rifle is one thing, an accurate bench rifle is another.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    1" groups at 100 yards is accurate with a rifle.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    Accurite = Worls Clas 10/22 red barrle match accrite anschlitz [:D][:D][:D]

Amend![;)][:0]
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot competitive plus I hunt

So what I consider accurate for hunting, I don't consider accurate for long-range competition. Conversely, what I consider an acceptable weight for a hunting rifle, my long-range competition guns are way too heavy for

So you're right, it is subjective considering the application
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For paper rifle punching 1/2" or less at 100 yards.
    Pistols, hold the 10 ring at 25 yards.
    For game shooting, I want to know the bullet is going where it is aimed with a hot barrel, cold barrel, hot day or cold day. Rain or shine that bullet will hit very close to what I am aiming at with utter reliability.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any arbitrary number is just that - arbitrary. Defining "enough accuracy" depends on "for what?"

Consider this: No matter what the group size you achieve, every bullet fired will hit within half that distance from the aimpoint, or less. So, if your gun shoots 2" groups, no bullet will be more than one inch from the center of that group.

Will one inch matter if you are shooting at a moose? A deer? Or a squirrel? Or a bullseye? The answer for each one can be "No" or "Yes" depending on other factors. It really cannot be answered simply.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.