In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sit on top fishing kayak

joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
edited August 2018 in General Discussion
Anyone have one? What is it and what modifications have you done?

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've fished from a 14' Hobie Pro Angler for 6+ years now. Lots of mods, such as adding a fishfinder, anchor trolley, added rod holders, GPS, raised the seat 3", compass, and maybe a few more minor ones I can't recall. It's a fishing machine. Pedal drive allows me to comfortably troll at up to 3 mph, cruise at 4, or just crawl along silently and hands free.

Sit on top is the best for fishing. Higher sight line lets you sight fish better, it's a lot easier to get on and off, or stand and cast. More above and below deck room, too. And they are self-baling.

elx5VqXl.jpg
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was about to buy one when I started thinking about how much of a problem I have standing up with my bad knee. I have to wonder if I could get into or out of one. That one pictured with the higher seat might be a solution.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looks like most of the better sit on top kayaks ha e a 2 or three position seat. Some even fold back to give you something to lean on when standing.

I've been looking at either a vibe seaghost 130, or three waters big fish 120. Both have adjustable seats, appear to be very stable, and have a ton of features.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Some cheap sit-ons have nothing but a pad and a sling for a seat back. You sit with your legs straight out in front of you, and it's agony in a few minutes. The better ones have chair-like seats, and the best ones have adjustable chairs. I added wooden risers to my seat to make it more comfortable and to make it easier to stand up.

There are now three or four companies offering pedal drive kayaks. Some are better than others but even the worst is miles ahead of having to paddle, especially for anglers. The only place where paddling is best is in moving water where you do not want to risk hitting an object with the drive unit and getting flipped over.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jackson makes a good fish setup.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just watched a video on YouTube where they compared 3 pedal drive kayaks. A Hobie, a Jackson, and something else. All three had some kind of mechanism that if the propeller underneath hit something it just popped up into the kayake like you were removing it for travel.

Those kayaks can run upwords of $2,000-$3,000 though. I'm not that serious of a kayaker.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We use a similiar Hobie for setting crab pot in the Sound. It is a dandy stable boat,,
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Josh, a Hobie doesn't use a propeller. And the units with that pop-up feature only work if you hit something head on. Get sideways in a current when you hit something, and you are going over right now. The feature is intended to protect the drive unit in shallow flat water. No pedal drive should be used in moving water.