In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Pistol Powders

ArbyArby Member Posts: 668
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I generally use Unique powder for my 45ACP and .38 Spcl...I have a pound of No.2 Improved and a pound of HS 6. Have any of you reloaders used these powders in your pistols? Any preference for one over the other for loading .38 Spcl?

Comments

• mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always used Unique because i reload my pistol shells as well as my shotgun shells with it. The only thing i don't like about it, it seems to be a dirty powder and creates a lot of smoke and residue on the gun.

I no longer reload shotgun, so i may start to look for a cleaner powder, any suggestions?
  • ArbyArby Member Posts: 668
    edited November -1
    Mango....I have been told that Winchester 231 and WST are good powders for .38Spcl and 45ACP and are burn cleaner than Unique. I haven't tried either of them but will after I use up some of the powder that I currently have on hand.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mango tango
    I always used Unique because i reload my pistol shells as well as my shotgun shells with it. The only thing i don't like about it, it seems to be a dirty powder and creates a lot of smoke and residue on the gun.

I no longer reload shotgun, so i may start to look for a cleaner powder, any suggestions?

Bullseye. It is all I have ever used. Very clean, and very economical.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    After getting a suppressor I need some of the cleanest loads I could get.

I had heard many horror stories about what 231 does to the baffles and tried some since I had it on hand. I was not impressed but I still will use in in my hand guns since I have 8lbs of it [B)]

For clean I have gone to Tightgroup. After lots of reading and 2500rds fired it seems to be one of the best.
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unique and Greendot are my "go to" powders.
  • CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Arby
    Mango....I have been told that Winchester 231 and WST are good powders for .38Spcl and 45ACP and are burn cleaner than Unique. I haven't tried either of them but will after I use up some of the powder that I currently have on hand.

i like 231 for 45acp as well but my 44mag does not. had psi signs at the lowest start level in my 629, desert eagle 44 rounds felt weak,

unique is hard to find around here. just unique[:0]
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    2400, Good versatile powder for pistol cartridges, .38, .44, and I use it in reloading my 410 shells..
  • richardaricharda Member Posts: 393
    edited November -1
    HS-6 was created as a shotshell powder for heavy field loads. I have used it a little in 9mm & .40 S&W, for full charge loads. It is not economical, requiring larger charges than many other powders for the same ballistics (but a guy GAVE me some, so . . .). It is slower than Unique, so is not well suited for light target loads.

I am not familiar with the "#2 Improved" powder mentioned.
  • wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use 296 in my .357 and .44 Mag loads
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,357 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your Accurate #2 Improved is an excellent choice for target and light loads in both guns. It is usable wherever you'd use Bullseye, but being a spherical powder #2 measures MUCH better. It is also very clean-burning. Do use Accurate arms data for it.

Your HS6 (as mentioned above) would be good for heavier loads, but is too slow for target work. Light loads would be operating at sub-optimal pressures and would thus be very dirty. ANY powder used below its design pressure range will be dirty.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.