In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Didnt take long for gas to go up

204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
edited September 2017 in General Discussion
was 1.89 a gallon here on Sunday. up to 2.39 and 2.49 now.

Comments

• Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oil companies have no reason to show compassion. Cash is King.
  • 204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    it stinks. I had 40 cents off on my Kroger card when it was 1.89. but car was full. now I'm needing gas and its 2.39. oh well....
  • medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    People panicked in San Antonio today and have overwhelmed the stations.

Starting to see stations sold out with no scheduled delivery of fuel.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It'll be $4.00/gal by the time I head on vacation in mid Sept. It'll be like Katrina, any opportunity to turn the screws. Never seems to drop as quickly as it goes up.
    edited November -1
    and its hard to believe. that it goes up that much. 50 and 60 cents a gallon all at once, is a lot.
  • droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The profit in refining is much more stable and more reliable than oil production.

Major refiners have facilities scattered around the country. They will be running at peak production to partially make up for,,,,,,,,,Storm Harvey paralyzes a fifth of U.S. fuel output

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-storm-harvey-energy-idUSKCN1B91KE
  • MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The real screwing is that refineries don't run at 100% output all the time. Most average 75-85% output of what is possible. This is according to a friend of mine who worked for Chevron in Benecia CA for 20+ years. (I think it was Chevron, maybe it was Shell?)

Anyway, when they "lose 20%" at one refinery, they could easily make it up elsewhere, but screw us instead.

The answer to this is to bust up these monopolies. That would stop this crap really quick!

Merc

quote:Originally posted by droptop
    The profit in refining is much more stable and more reliable than oil production.

Major refiners have facilities scattered around the country. They will be running at peak production to partially make up for,,,,,,,,,Storm Harvey paralyzes a fifth of U.S. fuel output

• droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mercury
    The real screwing is that refineries don't run at 100% output all the time. Most average 75-85% output of what is possible. This is according to a friend of mine who worked for Chevron in Benecia CA for 20+ years. (I think it was Chevron, maybe it was Shell?)

Anyway, when they "lose 20%" at one refinery, they could easily make it up elsewhere, but screw us instead.

The answer to this is to bust up these monopolies. That would stop this crap really quick!

Merc

quote:Originally posted by droptop

The refining companies didn't lose 20% at one refinery, they lost 100 % at dozens. The 20% (probably less) is available to make up for scheduled "turnarounds' required at all refineries. Not to mention unscheduled shutdowns.

Then there is the delivery transportation logistics that have been disrupted.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    this was just the excuse they needed to make a few billion

i live 20 miles from a refinery it went up 45cents, i left the house and passed a station 3 hours later on my way home it went up another 10cents

trump released some reserves so there is really no reason
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm glad we aren't heading to San Diego until November; availability and prices should be normalized by then.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• 47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    our gas went up $.30 per in 3 days.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They pretty much invited it on the news didn't they?
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    They pretty much invited it on the news didn't they?

that's all you would hear on the news. this is going to make gas prices jump. its like they talked it into existence.
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You guys do realize that the Colonial Pipeline stopped pumping...

It feeds Texas to New York with fuel...

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/hurricane-harvey/critical-east-coast-fuel-pipeline-reopen-weekend-company-says-n797956

Diesel went up 60 cents here since last night. Luckily I am full and have 700 miles worth in my tank.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/hurricane-harvey/critical-east-coast-fuel-pipeline-reopen-weekend-company-says-n797956

Diesel went up 60 cents here since last night. Luckily I am full and have 700 miles worth in my tank.

yeah, just seems like a large jump. and really quickly. and it is the
    truth. it never goes down as quickly as it went up. I'm basically griping.
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 204targetman

Fuel is a fungible commodity. If delivery to an area is compromised demand will exceed supply. Basic high school economics.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 204targetman

Fuel is a fungible commodity. If delivery to an area is compromised demand will exceed supply. Basic high school economics.

don't start throwing logic at me. I wanted to complain.
    edited November -1
    could be awhile before that stuff is up and running again. untelling how high it will get
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1

i'm on the Keystone Pipeline , doesnt go near it
  • mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ethanol- brought to you by the bribers of the crooked government.
    BOTH sides
    Then when the country takes a hit and is in trouble they stick it to you deeper. IDK about Texas but the rags were the BIGGEST price gougers when we were hit. Gas stations and flea bag motels were the worst and those sand n*****s were hit hard for profiteering on the tragedy.
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    edited November -1
    Years ago I managed a group of local gas stations. One of my jobs was to price check all of the areas competition.

I relayed this information to our headquarters and then had to adjust our prices to match all the rest.

I'm pretty sure this is still done this way today.

Gas in my area just went up to 269.9 for regular unleaded on Thursday.[:(!]
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gasoline retailers association is in it for the money. They do communicate and capitalize any time they can get away with it.

Sounds like a monopoly like the old Standard oil company.

Where is uncle sam when you need him?
    "What is truth?'
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpageabc
    Gasoline retailers association is in it for the money. They do communicate and capitalize any time they can get away with it.

Nothing more than a free market economy at work. When supplies drop and demand remains the same or grows, then prices will rise. Toughen up and ride it out or buy a bicycle.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog

Nothing more than a free market economy at work. When supplies drop and demand remains the same or grows, then prices will rise. Toughen up and ride it out or buy a bicycle.

Then what is the problem with $42 cases of water and $349 hotel rooms? You want a generator, and I have to have one to sell you I should be able to charge what ever you are willing to pay.
  • riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan

i'm on the Keystone Pipeline , doesnt go near it

this........
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog

Then what is the problem with $42 cases of water and $349 hotel rooms? You want a generator, and I have to have one to sell you I should be able to charge what ever you are willing to pay.

$42/case for water is a roughly 450% increase. Gas prices rising by 30 cents (from $1.89/gal) is roughly a 15% increase. Gas is a reaction to market forces. The water example is sheer greed and should be condoned.
  • eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    if you want to stuff in up their arses, only buy what you need. if you have to drive 100 miles a week only but 4-5 gallons, let them store it instead of in your cars-trucks gas tanks. it went up to 2.89 from 2.55 in two days with out the gas station getting a load in. mr myopic.
  • DaveFDaveF Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gas where I am here in Alberta, Canada, went up 64 cents a gallon, and we're 2100 miles north of Houston.
    Also our gas locally comes from Canadian refineries even further to the north of here.

'Never let a good disaster go to waste' seems to be a corporate motto.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2.50 HERE UP 30 CENTS
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wasn't there somebody here just a few days ago who said $7/gal gasoline would be good for the economy?
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.