In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Twist rate on 16"

jeffery.boydjeffery.boyd Member Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in General Discussion
Going to see "a guy" about building an AR from the ground up. He uses YHM barrels. Whats the best twist rate 1:7 or 1:9?

This will be a carbine for sporting fun, not hitting ground hogs at 500 yards. Just want to hit 1" at 250-300 yards consistant with an optic and 75-100 yards with the iron sights.

I have no specific game in mind, mostly paper and for plinking.

Rem 870 or Browning HP for home defense already, so this will just be a "fun in sun gun".

I go to this guys shop at 6 tonight for an initial order. Needs your thoughts on this ASAP.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    cccoopercccooper Member Posts: 4,044 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    1:7 for a heavier bullet. I have a 1:7 on my HBAR and shoot 69gr. bullets or heavier when I can find them. A 16" barrel on my M4gery has a 1:9 and I shoot standard 55gr. I am happy w/ 6-8 inch groups from my Bushmaster at 100yards.
  • Options
    jeffery.boydjeffery.boyd Member Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was told that shooting the smaller weight bullets like 45-55 grain with a 1:7 twist will burn up the barrel much quicker than the heavier loads. Is this true also?
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMO the 1/9 twist is the best option unless you are planning to shoot anything over 70-75 gr.

I have shot weights from 50gr to 69gr out of my 1/9 with no stabilization problems.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ever heard of the search function??

It depends purely on the length of the bullet you will shoot.

CP
  • Options
    proappproapp Member Posts: 3,264
    edited November -1
    Just want to hit 1" at 250-300 yards consistant with an optic

if you can do this, you could tell us too.....