In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Marines to get new automatic rifles

Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
edited December 2008 in General Discussion
Marines Closer to Next-generation Rifle

Stars and Stripes | Kevin Baron | December 27, 2008

ARLINGTON, VA. - The Marine Corps has moved one step closer to selecting a next-generation light automatic rifle.

The Marine Corps Systems Command in Quantico, Va., announced contract awards for three competing weapons manufacturers to produce and deliver their final entries to the Corps by the middle of next year, in what signifies a final round of competition that began with ten candidates.

The lighter, magazine-fed Infantry Automatic Rifle - or IAR - is intended to replace the belt-fed M249 Squad Automatic Weapon - or SAW - in "the Marine Rifle Squad within infantry battalions and in the scout teams in Light Armored Reconnaissance battalions."

But the rifle will not be for all Marines, according to a statement by MARSYSCOM spokesman Bill Johnson-Miles.

The Pentagon requested up to 10 samples of a 5.56 mm IAR prototype from FN Herstal, which would be made in Belgium; Heckler and Koch Defense, which is based in Ashburn, Va., but whose samples would be made in Germany, the home country of the parent company; and two entries from Colt Defense, made in West Hartford, Conn.

The rifles will then undergo limited testing by infantry Marines.

Under the five-year contracts, the Pentagon could tap the winning entrant for an acquisition of 4,476 rifles, with an option to purchase up to 6,500 copies at a possible value of $28 million for FN Herstal or Heckler & Koch, or $24 million for Colt.

The SAW, which is manufactured by FN Manufacturing, the US subsidiary of Belgium's FN Herstal, weighs 16.5 pounds and fires 750 rounds per minute.

The lighter IAR candidate from FNH USA, for example, weighs in at 10.4 pounds and fires 650 rounds per minute.

Spokesmen from Heckler & Koch's Ashburn, Va., office and FNH USA, in McLean, Va., did not return calls to Stars and Stripes.

The rifles are scheduled for deployable use in December 2010.

Comments

• Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    With he economy going the way it is, and budget shortfalls looking like they are. I would expect this to be shelved just like the XM8 and OICW program were.

I would be suspecting that we will see some piston retrofit for the AR system or at best the HK416.

I am pulling for FN or Colt though, just because HK and their stance of civilian ownership of firearms is less than enthusiastic.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wonder what magazine they use?
    Hopefully something like the Beta.
    But a bit more user friendly.

CP
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    what do these new rifles replace? these are expensive,over 6 grand each
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's nothing wrong with the SAW. It's dead-nuts accurate, it really doesn't weigh that much, and it spits out 860 rounds a minute. Even with the puny 5.56, it's more than enough to be lethal.
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cpermd
    I wonder what magazine they use?
    Hopefully something like the Beta.
    But a bit more user friendly.

CP

Here's a link to FNH's site:
    http://www.fnhusa.com/mil/products/firearms/model.asp?fid=FNF063&gid=FNG023&mid=FNM0157

I don't know why they wouldn't stick with belt-fed. It sucks to change mags every 30 rds with a cyclic rate of 650.
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scottm21166
    what do these new rifles replace? these are expensive,over 6 grand each

They'll replace the M-249 SAW. I'm going to miss it.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by eboydell
    The Marine Corps has always been treated like Uncle Sam's step-child.What a bunch of BS Earl; we took them on Cruises with us where ever we went, gave them luxury quarters, provided shuttle services where ever they wanted to go, and put them in charge of our misfits. I can't help that the Army mistreated you, but the senior service looked out for your best interests! [:D]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 4,050
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7
    There's nothing wrong with the SAW. It's dead-nuts accurate, it really doesn't weigh that much, and it spits out 860 rounds a minute. Even with the puny 5.56, it's more than enough to be lethal.

After reading the Soldier Perspectives of Small Arms in Combat report survey, (taken of 2600 combat veterans of the 48th ID, 2/140th Infantry Regiment, 3rd ID, 82nd Airborne, and the 10th Mountain), I would have to disagree. Only 60% of respondents reported being satisfied with the SAW's handling, only 70% satisfied with the maintainability of it, many voiced concerns over the corrosion resistance, and 30% reported weapons stoppages while in combat (M16/M4 stoppages were only 19% while the M9 was 29%). Only 64% had confidence in the SAW's durability. Many users have requested replacement of the gun all together. Failing that shortening and lightening of the gun and changes to the belt system and drums to make them more reliable.
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    I Think they are like a M-16 that fires from the open bolt position... Might have QD barrel not sure.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...I guess some things never change, still don't give much weight to the opinion of the troop in the field, 5.56 needs to be replaced, not the weapon.

...Hey eyeball...what Marines did you belong to...the Navy and the 'Dogs while shipboard eat DAMN GOOD...hell, the swabbies need to feed their protectors well I guess..[:D]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    I saw a "Future Weapons" program about it awhile back. It looks like a bullpup-style version of the M-16 with all kinds of neat little optics and other attachments.
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    I thought this would be the gunners rifle...like the one guy in the squad that carried a BAR in WWII?
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its sad Magpul didn't get some Masada system examples in there. I really thought that rifle system had some potential. Seriously that was the most modular platform ever. They could have probably replaced everything from SMGs to DMRs with it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by COLT
    ...I guess some things never change, still don't give much weight to the opinion of the troop in the field, 5.56 needs to be replaced, not the weapon.

So you are saying that you know better than a bunch of recent combat veterans who actually use the weapon in combat in Iraq and Afghanistan and disapprove of it? In the survey, very few had anything bad to say about the caliber, many had bad things to say about the weapon itself.
  • Options
    dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    Hussein Obama has repeatedly stated that he will cut the military's budget. He also plans to cut research and development of future weapons.

I doubt the Marines will be getting any new toys in a loooong while.[:(]
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    dolfan,

Well, we've seen where giving the military hunderds of billions of dollars got us...

Maybe it's time we forced them to tighten their belts and spend the money we give them smarter, not faster.
  • Options
    jsuggsjsuggs Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used a M249 for years including in Iraq, and it always functioned superbly. I found it easy to care for. Incredable accuracy and supressive fire. All from a one man weapon.

What you need to remember is that in a rifle company usually privates E1-E2 carry the saw, in most cases they lack the experiance needed to use it effectively. I was in a anti-tank company in the 82nd where the gunners were primaraly spc and a few pfc E4-E3, and for some reason during qualification our guns always worked, and the rifle companys usually had trouble with them.

I think it is a excelent weapon.

I think its reputation grately suffers from the Jesica Lynch convoy syndrome.

As for the c-mag that is a piece of junk. Never seen one work when it gets dirty. To me it is like having a CCO and no back up sight, putting everything in one basket is never a good idea, you never know when that Murphy guy is going to show up. But I guarente he will.