In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I freaking HATE football sometimes!!!

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,686 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in General Discussion
Its the most aggravating bunch of mess to deal with.....I get so tired of it. We have a pitiful Varsity team and a decent JV team...then the middle school is pretty good. The coach started asking the younger boys to move up. I told my son to say "no" if he was asked. My thinking is that my son should be one of the KEY PLAYERS on the younger team....this should be his time to "shine" on the middle school team. Plus, I don't want my 14 yr old on the field with 12th grade boys. These guys are MONSTERS on some of these teams.

Next year he should be one of the new guys on the JV team and the year after he should be one of the more seasoned players on THAT team... so on....

Well, since we have a slew of MORONS in Locust Fork...when the coach was asking kids to move up they JUMPED on it. You have all of these goober parents running around actually bragging that their child is on the "Varsity" football team. This shouldn't affect my son, but it is. They have him down as a defensive end. He doesn't want to be a defensive end. He wants to get the ball....just ONCE....why can't he get the dang ball???!!!

Its looking like all the coach cares about is that Varsity team. He has his numbers buffed up by putting all of the bodies on the team that he can get his hands on.....and since they could care less about the middle school team they are giving the positions to the boys that have moved up. My son is BETTER than a lot of these kids, but because I didn't play along with this stupid mess he will be left out.

Are any of you coaches???? Do you guys with kids all deal with this same mess???
LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,038 ******
    edited November -1
    You make me sooo glad I'm old and don't have to deal with that. [:)][:)][:)]
  • Options
    we_dig_itwe_dig_it Member Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heck with football, take him deer huntin....[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This just kills me. Liam works SO HARD and he should be recognized for that....but thats not how the world works any more.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you still cut up your son's meat?

Just curious.
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    l hate football too. Remember too, those "Monsters" are also chasing after our daughters. [:0]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Pssshhhh....I rarely have to any more, but I'll be glad when he can punch that straw in his juice box himself!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by footlong
    l hate football too. Remember too, those "Monsters" are also chasing after our daughters. [:0]

Now my tummy is upset....[:(]
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I played "B" football all three years of high school (there was no JV). We worked just as hard and long as the varsity, just not good enough or big enough to play varsity.

Nobody came to our games, nobody cared. It was a great life lesson.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    my sport in h.s. was rifle.

It was all up to you, no favorites. Shoot to win.

Funny thing was, the individual sports (rifle, tennis, golf) produced some league champs.

The "organized" sports (baseball, basketball, football) all sucked when I was there.

That pleased me to no end[:)]
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Told you to take up golf.!! Then it his himself ALL the time to shine or NOT..Plus he won't break arms, legs, tear tendons, ect. and actually have a chance at a scholarship....but hey,,,thats thinking out of the box,,,[:I]
  • Options
    mike_02mike_02 Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marching band.....

Everybody is VARSITY.....

There is no second, third or fourth string...

Try it if you want a real workout....

And no. I was never in band or football.

Kids were.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,987 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the boys are going to practice on the middle school team and play in the middle school games then they will not be practicing or playing JV or Varsity they will simply be "dressing" for JV and/or Varsity games.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Austin20....that is the case, but all of the positions on "our" team (the middle school) are being given to the guys that chose to move up. My son wanted to play wing, but they gave that to a 7th grader that has NEVER played football before and my son is the fastest boy in the whole school! Of course the boy that is playing wing is the grandson of the coach our field is named for.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,987 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So, just curious why did you tell your son to say "no" if ask to dress varsity? He would not be playing or practicing against older kids.

Most coaches do not like to have players tell them no, especially when they are offering them a move up.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    why can't he get the dang ball???!!!

because he doesnt play a position where he "gets the ball"

quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    My son is BETTER than a lot of these kids

just about every parent says that. maybe its true in your case, maybe its not. not only am i not a football scout, im also not local to you so i have to take your word for it. either way, every kid cant play every position in every game.
  • Options
    swampgutswampgut Member Posts: 5,555
    edited November -1
    I don't blame you for not letting him play varsity.

He could get seriously hurt.

My middle brother started lifting heavy weights way, way too soon.

According to his dentist he was supposed to end up in the 6'4"-6'5" range but he's only 5'10".

I don't know how accurate those dentist's predictions are but he was lifting some serious weight in middle school....just because he could.
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Team sports are limited by the weakest members of the team.
    Hunt, fish, climb, hike or lower yourself to the level of your worst team mate.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by swampgut
    According to his dentist

really?? come on, from a dentist?
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know the rules for your state on sports. In IL, when I played HS football 92-95'& 96(college), the HS JV players were only allowed so much time in the Varsity games. If not they were only allowed Varsity time on the field. Something to do with keeping the teams fair.

I think what the coach of your sons team is doing,(just speculating) is getting younger kids from the middle school to practice with his team. Maybe some of the younger boys are better than the junior/senior boys and coach wants to push them in practice to better his team. I'm guessing the kids that show potential are getting the JV spots. In his eyes the younger kids that have the courage, &/or ones that are allowed(in your case), and can cut the mustard with the older boys will be shown favor when it's time to make the roster.

I don't like the idea of what the coach is doing but he needs to field a decent team. He could be getting pressure, and the ok, from school board or similar place.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This is just politics being played at the detriment of the lower team....plain and simple. My son likes to play and has played since he was 6. We haven't got any crazy dreams about him being scouted or going places later in life because of football, but I don't think it is fair for players to be given spots on the lower team as rewards.

I am not just looking at things as Liam's mother....he really is one of the better player. He will get a 1st string spot and he will KILL at it, but its not what he wants. My son is 6' tall 165 lbs runs the 40 in 5 seconds. The boy that got the spot he wants hasn't EVER played ball before....we haven't even gotten to the real practices yet. All they have done is work out.

Why I said "no" to moving up.....first off I was under the impression that if you move up you couldn't play down on the lower team. I guess that isn't the case??? The 13/14 yr old boys that have gone to the varsity team ARE supposed to start hitting drills tomorrow morning. I don't care what rewards there are....I don't want my son going up against boys that are 4 years older than him.

Maybe I am wrong....maybe it will all work out. I could be all "ruffled" over nothing. I just hate it because I kept telling my son "daddy ball" is over now that you have moved into playing for the school....but its not looking good for now.

This is our coach's first year with this school. He may be just plugging names in according to what people are telling him and he will figure it all out for himself once they actually get to play.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was a freshman I was 6'1" 220lbs. Coach had some of us freshman practice with the varsity just out of necessity. I came from a school of ~120 students co-op in football with another school of about ~150 students. Only about 10 kids from my school played football.

Even though some of us younger students practiced with the "varsity" my coaches always made sure in practice that we were never total out matched to where we would get hurt. I bet your sons coach has the good sense to do the same.

One small tip I can offer to your son, NEVER try to spear someone with your head or helmet. Always keep your head up when in full contact practice with someone, and especially when tackling someone weighing more. I learned the hard way ,and had a few times I thought my neck was injured.[B)]

Hope it all works out for him this season[^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18
    According to his dentist

Enlighten yourself before you speak.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1052755
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You sure do come up with different topics. I've coached football. Last time (20 years ago) was a Freshman team on the Navajo Reservation. My Dad coached football. My brother was small college All American three times. My 12 yo son is out for 7th grade football getting ready for his first day of 2-a-days as we speak. We've been a football family as long as I can remember. I could be wrong, but I've never met a football coach who didn't want to win. To win, the best players have to be on the field. Tell him to win every wind sprint, put out harder than everyone else and talk to the coach about prefered position. If he is as good as you say, that's where he will be playing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I plan on talking to the coach if we get further along and things are still laid out like this. I don't think that we are settled yet, but the parents that have always been "problems" seem to be trying the same crap that they always have.
  • Options
    Dennis SmithDennis Smith Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank goodness you don't live in Texas! Texas cheerleader moms murder the other cheerleaders and the soccermoms plot to kill the football players....
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,335 ******
    edited November -1
    According to his dentist

ok, first of all, that study was on girls. Second of all, it studied a whole 56 individuals. Yeah that's relevant.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dennis Smith
    Thank goodness you don't live in Texas! Texas cheerleader moms murder the other cheerleaders and the soccermoms plot to kill the football players....

I couldn't handle any more drama than this little twisted town. Locust Fork is the very worst for this kind of mess.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh, the drama I told my kid to quit the football team. He was no good to begin with, why he went out for football was beyond me. He did as I asked joined the band as a drummer and the year he graduated he won the state high school drum championship.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    According to his dentist

ok, first of all, that study was on girls. Second of all, it studied a whole 56 individuals. Yeah that's relevant.

You're right.

Women are a different species.

And.....I didn't pull out of my * that a dentist told my mother and brother that he would likely be 6'4".

Whether the dentist knew what he was doing or not is anybody's guess but there clearly is some science behind such predictions.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I coached for 15 years and can tell you one thing, The coaches must think highly of your son. I put my best players at defensive end to handle the pass rush and to cover the tight ends. This position usally goes to the fastest, strongest and most talented kids on the team.My son hated it because he couldnt run the ball, He played center on offence, but he was the most skilled player at that position. Every kid at that age wants the ball but it just cant be that way. Tell him to stick it out and he should be honored to be picked for that position. John
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to his dentist

You're right.

And.....I didn't pull out of my * that a dentist told my mother and brother that he would likely be 6'4".

Whether the dentist knew what he was doing or not is anybody's guess but there clearly is some science behind such predictions.

Probably the same dentist that wanted you to strip down before he administered the gas... I read about that in the paper, I believe he got 35 years for that...

One paper on a sample of 56 girls from 1975 does not a scientific fact make. And since no dentist I have ever heard of reviews height weight charts with parents (but all the pediatricians I've seen did) I'm just going to have to leave this here and see what it detects.....

horseyy3.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oakie
    I coached for 15 years and can tell you one thing, The coaches must think highly of your son. I put my best players at defensive end to handle the pass rush and to cover the tight ends. This position usally goes to the fastest, strongest and most talented kids on the team.My son hated it because he couldnt run the ball, He played center on offence, but he was the most skilled player at that position. Every kid at that age wants the ball but it just cant be that way. Tell him to stick it out and he should be honored to be picked for that position. John

It does help a LOT to hear this.....thank you SO MUCH for making me feel better. Its just me being his mother and not knowing how the new coach will handle things that has me flustered. I know they do appreciate him. The coach has said several times that he is very impressed with Liam. I just now learned about the various positions that people are saying they have and it was looking like Liam wasn't even getting to try out for the spot he would like.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    Oh, the drama I told my kid to quit the football team. He was no good to begin with, why he went out for football was beyond me. He did as I asked joined the band as a drummer and the year he graduated he won the state high school drum championship.

The band is something I do miss from back when I was in school. The kids that can really play drums are SO MUCH fun to watch. We played one school last year where the drummer on the opposing team was the center of the attention for the whole game...on BOTH sides of the field.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Things must have changed a lot since I played high school ball. When I played you were either varsity or JV. You couldn't be both.

It should still be that way. Otherwise, what's to stop a coach from running in his varsity team on the JV any time he needs a touchdown or to stop the other team.

I don't know if Liam is ready for varsity, but some fourteen year olds are. Some fourteen year olds are as big and fast as they are ever going to be. If they don't have real competition on the JV they should move up.

Running practice with varsity against JV is good for the JV but will destroy the varsity.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    With this thing that they are doing they have pulled members from our JV...AND the Middle School team. Its supposed to be 7th/8th grade on the middle school team...then 9th/10th grade is the JV....leaving the 11th/12th on Varsity.

Our school's program got messed up because we played a different county last year. We are in Blount County and we played Cullman County schools last year. This year we are only playing Blount County. We don't have many games available for the JV team so they just combined the JV and Varsity from the start. The JV boys will still play their games on Thursday and will be on Varsity on Friday.

This is where it gets ridiculous....SOME of the Middle school kids were ALSO asked to move up. So we will have games with these boys on Tuesday night and then some of these boys will be on the field for Fridays game too. Some of these boys may never get to play on Friday, but it really is frustrating trying to keep up with what is going on here.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    Things must have changed a lot since I played high school ball. When I played you were either varsity or JV. You couldn't be both.

It should still be that way. Otherwise, what's to stop a coach from running in his varsity team on the JV any time he needs a touchdown or to stop the other team.

I don't know if Liam is ready for varsity, but some fourteen year olds are. Some fourteen year olds are as big and fast as they are ever going to be. If they don't have real competition on the JV they should move up.

Running practice with varsity against JV is good for the JV but will destroy the varsity.

My daughter was a "floater" last year for soccer. She got to start all the JV games and usually played most of the second half in the Varsity game. then since the JV season ended before the Varsity, she got to play the last few Varsity games and in the playoffs. Best of both worlds. There were a couple of freshmen girls that made the Varsity team outright, but rode the bench most of the time. She earned a Varsity letter and a starting spot for this spring!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Very cool!!! I would be 100% for some kind of system where they actually tried out for things....but this mess they are doing seems to be just grabbing all the bodies they can. I could be wrong. I won't really know what the deal is until we get into playing games.
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know I'm going to sound like a "dutch" uncle, but really, Kasey, you need to focus on the most important aspect of the sport; teaching teamwork. How many games have you watched where the final outcome was decided on the last play at the goal line by a defensive back coming around the end or up the middle to flatten a runner? That's a team working together to make sure that defensive back got to where the team needed him to be.

Clouder..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    According to his dentist

You're right.

Probably the same dentist that wanted you to strip down before he administered the gas... I read about that in the paper, I believe he got 35 years for that...

One paper on a sample of 56 girls from 1975 does not a scientific fact make. And since no dentist I have ever heard of reviews height weight charts with parents (but all the pediatricians I've seen did) I'm just going to have to leave this here and see what it detects.....

horseyy3.gif

Here ya go.....
    http://askville.amazon.com/estimate-born-baby’s-adult-height/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=18750124
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by whiteclouder
    I know I'm going to sound like a "dutch" uncle, but really, Kasey, you need to focus on the most important aspect of the sport; teaching teamwork. How many games have you watched where the final outcome was decided on the last play at the goal line by a defensive back coming around the end or up the middle to flatten a runner? That's a team working together to make sure that defensive back got to where the team needed him to be.

Clouder..

I'm trying to be better and not be so quick to fuss at everyone or jump to conclusions so quickly, but its a work in progress. A friend of mine posted on facebook that we all have two wolves at war inside us...one wolf is kind, generous and peaceful and the other is mean, spiteful, and horrible. Whichever wolf you feed is the one that grows. I posted that it was a smart way to look at things and I would try to feed the right wolf. Within 26 minutes I came back to her post and said this is HARDER than I thought because I had already called someone named "Larissa" a moron for some other post on facebook.