In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

DOJ Targeted Public Library for Lending E-Books 'I

EMCSEMCS Member Posts: 4,063
edited August 2012 in General Discussion
DOJ Targeted Public Library for Lending E-Books 'Inaccessible' to the Blind
By Elizabeth Harrington
(CNSNews.com) - The U.S. Justice Department says it has reached a settlement with the Sacramento (California) Public Library over a trial program the library was conducting that let patrons borrow Barnes and Noble NOOK e-book readers.

DOJ and the National Federation of the Blind objected to the program on grounds that blind people could not use the NOOK e-readers for technological reasons.

The Justice Department said the settlement is aimed at stopping discrimination: "Emerging technologies like e-readers are changing the way we interact with the world around us and we need to ensure that people with disabilities are not excluded from the programs where these devices are used," said Assistant Attorney General Thomas E. Perez in a news release.

A DOJ official told CNSNews.com it interviewed a woman who could not participate in the library's e-reader program due to her disability and concluded that the program had violated the ADA.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

http://tiny.cc/2x6wjw

Comments

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,251 ******
    edited November -1
    So, because the blind can't use them, neither can anyone else? That seems a bit extreme.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Funny, my ColorNook has a text-to-speech app built in... of course, it is running a non-stock Android OS, but it is possible...
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I expect the DOJ will be targeting makers of DVD players next, since blind folks can't watch the movies.

And don't get me started about Ford and GM's failure to provide a car that can be driven by a blind person.

Now, about those jet fighters that are not wheelchair accessible....
  • Sooeyman2035Sooeyman2035 Member Posts: 3,226
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    I expect the DOJ will be targeting makers of DVD players next, since blind folks can't watch the movies.

And don't get me started about Ford and GM's failure to provide a car that can be driven by a blind person.

Now, about those jet fighters that are not wheelchair accessible....
    How about those jet fighters that can't be flown by blind people?