In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Risks of shooting your neighbors RC model

andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
edited October 2014 in General Discussion
These idiot reporters keep referring to them as drones.
I guess the homeowner didn't like his neighbor taking video of his new home. [;)]

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/09/30/new-jersey-man-accused-of-shooting-down-neighbors-remote-control-drone/

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    He got the first of the three S's done, but neglected the second two, Shovel and Shutup. If he had retrieved the model first, there would have been no evidence. [:D]
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Drone season in New Jersey opens Oct 1, I thought everybody knew that.
  • Options
    scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We were out pheasant hunting in the mid '80s in some corn fields along the Delaware River. There was a R/C plane area down in the one section. We soon started getting buzzed, continuously, by two planes. Pop and I had enough at about the same time and boom, boom...splash two bogies.[;)]
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wonder if the guy trespassed to get his plane?
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what the heck kind of charge is this

from the article
    Percenti was arrested and charged with Possession of a Weapon for an Unlawful Purpose and Criminal Mischief.

I would venture to guess there will be a lot of them shot down . as there popularity grow and prices get cheaper.

there is a few locals who fly there ultra lights over my house and property on a regular basis I wonder [}:)] and our place is in line with care flights path when going to the hospital about 15 miles away [;)]
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,317 ******
    edited November -1
    Does he own the airspace rights where he is?
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was working about three doors down from where this happened on that day and never heard anything about it. I will be finishing the job tomorrow and will have to ask the home owner if he heard about it. It is right outside of cape may near the villas.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If he couldn't get to the model before the neighbor retrieved it, he should have buried his expended shells and given his shotgun a good cleaning with Hoppes and put it back in the rack so that it wouldn't look or smell like it had been fired. Then, deny everything. The burden of proof is on the other guy and the cops. [:D] "Musta been some guy out bird hunting that mistook it for a spotted owl. :-)"
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Next time he should try using a rock.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,317 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    Next time he should try using a rock.
    Ban rocks!
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe next time he'll take his anti-aircraft capabilities more seriously.[;)]

M1_40mm_Bofors_anti-aircraft_gun_United_States_American_640.jpg
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've thought about this for a couple of years. Can a drone, model plane, ultra lite be considered a physical threat?
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shotgun probably wasn't smart. But I bet my crossbow or even a good pellet gun (oh wait, its new jersey cant have that) would bring it down.

And if its flying over my house wouldn't he need to trespass to retrieve it?
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    If it were close enough I'd bet a good cast with a fishing rod and some heavy test line would foul the rotors and bring one of them down. Reel em in boys!
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "there is a few locals who fly there ultra lights over my house and property on a regular basis I wonder and our place is in line with care flights path when going to the hospital about 15 miles away"

Back in 1983 and 1984 I was flying ultralights in central Georgia. I flew a lot.
    Nobody down there had ever heard of an ultralight, they were these weird looking, noisy little airplanes flying around, often real low.
    I used to worry that a good 'ole boy would shoot me. Never landed with any bullet holes in my wing, or body. It is rather hard to hit a flying object, you have to lead it just right. Don't know if anybody ever took a shot at me, I wouldn't have heard it due to the loud engine noise.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skicat
    If it were close enough I'd bet a good cast with a fishing rod and some heavy test line would foul the rotors and bring one of them down. Reel em in boys!

I have a Parrot AR Quadcopter. (aka Drone.) It will crash if you shout BOO at it. It was a gift and a lot of fun to play with, but yes I think most any of the fishing rods on the rack in my garage would snag it at any altitude I can cast to.

My brother has one that he flies off his 30th story balcony, I know I cannot cast that far up, BUT a worls class 1022 will....
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be interesting if the video footage shows the shoot down, and the anti-aircraft battery. It is nice to see folks giving the RC killer the benefit of the doubt and assuming it was even over his property when he took it out.
  • Options
    GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The guy with the drone probably had the shootdown on video. Many of these drones have live video feed to a cell phone.

But I sure wouldn't be happy if someone is videoing me and my family on my property with a drone.

I wonder if the judge wouldn't mind a drone with a camera buzzing over his house and family.

They wouldn't want me on that jury. That guy would very likely be found not guilty.
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Flying over not a prob to me. Taking pics? Whole new problem. The guy have a vault or a safe room built in he doesnt think anyone needs to know about.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well high flying photo planes (nrcs farm) and satellite stuff is one thing but some bozo circling the top of the house and trees at my place is a different matter...imho.....I do think the first response to this maybe from nudist colonies and beaches ?????
  • Options
    jev1969jev1969 Member Posts: 2,691
    edited November -1
    Fire up the base station and turn on the linear amps. That little thing would be down in no time without the neighbor being able to say what happened.
  • Options
    Sooeyman2035Sooeyman2035 Member Posts: 3,226
    edited November -1
    Suppressors are your friend!