In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Romanian PSL-54C

Astro MikeAstro Mike Member Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Are these guns any good? I was thinking about buying one and wanted some insight on how good of a shooter it is. If I buy one it will be from here http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Romanian_PSL-54C_7.62x54R_Rifle.html.

Also, how is the scope that comes with them?

Thanks!

Comments

• NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I have one and like it. I have not put a ton of rounds though it yet though even though I have had it for over 2 years now.

You need to make sure to shoot light ball ammo only in these guns since the heavier ammo causes excessive wear on the internals.

The scope that comes on them is VERY good but is only 4x. The scopes are made by IOR which is a high quality maker that has been around a long time. Being 4x depending on what you are shooting at can be an issue. One of the places I shoot has a 600 yard target that is about 18" square. With a 4x scope it is very hard to hit that. Hitting man size targets should not be as hard.

Is it a nice target rifle, NO. Is it a super accurate tack driver, NO. Is it a reasonably accurate, good shooting gun that fires fairly inexpensive ammo, YES. When I got mine I got it, 10 mags, and 10K of ammo for less then the price of an M1A.
  • mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't speak first hand about the rifle but the scopes are very good quality and feature the typical Soviet-Bloc ranging reticle. Adjustments are not as easy or quite a precise as Western scopes but it gets the job done. The scope is easily detached from the rifle and can be reinstalled without changing the point of impact. Here is an example shown next to one of my Romanian AKMs.
    [img][/img]RoamanianAKMoptics2.jpg
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nwcid
    I have one and like it. I have not put a ton of rounds though it yet though even though I have had it for over 2 years now.

You need to make sure to shoot light ball ammo only in these guns since the heavier ammo causes excessive wear on the internals.

The scope that comes on them is VERY good but is only 4x. The scopes are made by IOR which is a high quality maker that has been around a long time. Being 4x depending on what you are shooting at can be an issue. One of the places I shoot has a 600 yard target that is about 18" square. With a 4x scope it is very hard to hit that. Hitting man size targets should not be as hard.

Is it a nice target rifle, NO. Is it a super accurate tack driver, NO. Is it a reasonably accurate, good shooting gun that fires fairly inexpensive ammo, YES. When I got mine I got it, 10 mags, and 10K of ammo for less then the price of an M1A.

+1 to everything Nwcid said.

BTW, Sportsman's Guide has Romanian light ball NON-CORROSIVE in the spam cans pretty cheap.
  • Astro MikeAstro Mike Member Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Alright, thanks guys.
  • The Ultimate InfidelThe Ultimate Infidel Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love mine, eats surplus ammo without fail. Have yet to figure out the scope that came with it. Cant hit the backer board with it, but can knock the center of the target out with open sights.
    edited November -1
    Well, I think I'll get one..
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Astro Mike

Good, you won't regret it.

JMHO, there is a lot of corrosive surplus out there, and I shoot it in my bolt-action guns w/o a care, just clean thoroughly afterwards.
    In a semi-auto gas operated rifle, I'd stick with NON-corrosive ammo whenver possible. Again, JMHO
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PBJloaf

JMHO, there is a lot of corrosive surplus out there, and I shoot it in my bolt-action guns w/o a care, just clean thoroughly afterwards.
    In a semi-auto gas operated rifle, I'd stick with NON-corrosive ammo whenver possible. Again, JMHO

Any recommendations for ammo?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PBJloaf

Any recommendations for ammo?

again, Sportsman's Guide, Romanian light ball Non-Corrosive, in Spam cans.

Good ammo IMHO
    edited November -1
    Sounds good. Thanks [:D].
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I picked one up a couple weeks ago, I've only shot about 20 rounds through it ... Hungarian light ball, shot about 2.5" at 100, but we had a light breeze of 20mph with gusts over 30mph, I haven't had a chance to shoot it since. The scope adjustments aren't close to that of a target scope but should be able to get minute of man out to 500 yards and as mentioned the quality is good.

RomanianPSL.jpg

I really like the fact it has a last round bolt hold open, I didn't know any AK type rifle had that feature. At first the trigger creeps along and just as you think its going to break; it clunks into a gritty stop ... its a crude two-stage trigger ... mine did clean up pretty well, for an AK type and I helped it with a liberal application of 600grit paper and good trigger lube.
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I dont have a pic of it now but I added a piece of rail to the under side of the receiver for a bipod. I have not shot it since I did that but it keeps the pressure off the super skinny barrel.

Keep in mind the scopes on these are NOT centered over the bore. With "normal" scopes you shot out on your grid target and move up x clicks and over x clicks to be on target. Since these are not centered over the bore they are harder to adjust. I dont have it bookmarked but there is a site for how to sight in and adjust the scope.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Laundry-pro
    I love mine, eats surplus ammo without fail. Have yet to figure out the scope that came with it. Cant hit the backer board with it, but can knock the center of the target out with open sights.

The scope dials are inverted when compared to american scopes. You move the reticle to the impact of the bullet.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The PSL is an interesting rifle, that will most likely become a collectable. If you want to make them shoot better you can remove the wood that touches the barrel in barrel channel inside the hand guard to "free float" the barrel. I know of one rifle that has been worked on quite a bit that will shoot very, very well. The stock is kinda short, and a consistant cheek weild with a side mount scope is iffy without adding a cheeck piece. I'd advise you to look at the russian pso and posp scopes.

looks at the SVD models, i have had 4x24mm as well as the 6x42 and 8x42 fixed power models of the posp, and other then the fact that they dont illuminate the reticle as well as I'd like, they stay zeroed when you remove/replace. The adjustments are repeatable and the rangefinders work. My favorite POSP is the 6x42mm.

POSP fixed power
    http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=54

POSP variable powered scopes
    http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=55

PSO scopes
    http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/detail.aspx?ID=64

As Nwcid said heavy loads will increase wear and tear, and the only two match factory loads I know of have heavy 174(S&B)-200(wolf) grain bullets. I would recomend you buy several types of light ball ammo as well as some wolf light ball and try them out to see which shoots best. I would recomend the silver tip light AP, or any of the other surplus AP, it is corrosive. but burdan primers last for ever.

Bulgarian AP
    http://v4.beta.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=128819745

7N1 russian sniper ammo, good stuff, cheap compared to wolf or S&B commercial match ammo. Its getting hard to find, and will become collectable.
    http://v4.beta.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=128879774

I have known people to use the 4x24mm scope with surplus AP or wolf 147 ammo, and then switch to an auxiliary 8x42mm scope and heavy match ammo only when shooting past 400m.

The though process behind this is surplus group dispersion is usually between 8" and 10" at 400m, and the 8x42mm scopes higher magnification plus the higher BC, more consistant ammo will help make the groups tight enough for more percise shooting out to 600 or 800m.
    edited November -1
    Alright, thanks everybody [^].