In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

FL. Car Title Question

Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Is Florida a title holding state? I just took in a 2000 convertable Moostang from a lady from Fla. that claims she has not ever had a title to the car. It's financed thru a Florida C.U.

Comments

• iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Nope... I have titles for all 3 of my vehicles... can get replacements easy enough from the state, just need the VIN and it is mailed to currently registered address... can also have it done at county tax collectors office (where plates, etc. are issued)
  • john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sav99
    Is Florida a title holding state? I just took in a 2000 convertable Moostang from a lady from Fla. that claims she has not ever had a title to the car. It's financed thru a Florida C.U.

She still owes money on the car most likely and has not received the title!
  • ZealotZealot Member Posts: 329 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by john w

Exactly, until the car is paid off the bank holds the title
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zealot
    quote:Originally posted by john w

Exactly, until the car is paid off the bank holds the title

I figured that Florida holds titles. Here in Michigan the borower/owner has the title in his or her possesion.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Nope, when we paid off the grocery getter last year the bank sent us the title...
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iwannausername
    Nope, when we paid off the grocery getter last year the bank sent us the title...

That's what I mean by a title holding state. Here in MI. you get the title when you buy the car. In FL. and some other states the bank holds the title until the vehicle is paid off.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Depends on where you get it financed.. Most banks and lending institutions hold titles, Saves time and money from registering a lien on the title..
  • bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    Florida sends the title to the lienholder, not the owner.

She never got the title because she either
    1) never paid it off or
    2) paid it off and the bank just failed to forward the title to her
  • SuwanneePirateSuwanneePirate Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Third degree felony now in Florida to sell a car and not provide title.Also a felony to sell morgaged property and not disclose it. When scrap went up last year cars were getting stolen and ran across the scales for weight . Any car less than ten years old must now have a title to be sold for scrap .Older than that seller must have a regstration in their name to sell for scrap .

I agree that the car most likely is not paid for. The seller is flirtiny with a felony for selling it without providiny a titleor disclosing a lein.
  • The Ultimate InfidelThe Ultimate Infidel Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Florida does hold title till lien is paid in full here in FL.