In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Guards authority-Tomb of Unknown Soldier

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,038 ******
edited September 2018 in General Discussion
How much authority does our guards have?
Can they arrest/detain?
Use of force?

Do they have live rounds?

Comments

• Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Live rounds No, but like one once told me the bayonet is the real deal...[;)]

Trinity +++
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They can absolutely detain someone who attempts to vandalize the tomb.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The Army controls Arlington Cemetery, where the tomb is located, so a sentry can challenge a civilian, but he (or she) cannot arrest a civilian. I have no doubt that a CID Agent or other sworn officer with full police powers can be on scene very quickly to arrest anyone causing a disturbance. The ceremonial M14 rifles at the Tomb are unloaded but fully functional and capable of being used as a service rifle. The Army won't comment on whether or not live ammunition is available to the sentries...which of course means that it is [;)].
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TrinityScrimshaw
    Live rounds No, but like one once told me the bayonet is the real deal...[;)]

Trinity +++

Yep. Jabs, slashes, and buttstrokes are not the most painless way to go out! [:D]
    What's next?
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    https://tombguard.org/society/faq/

Is the rifle that the Sentinel carries loaded?

Tomb Guards carry fully functional M14 rifles. Given the current climate surrounding the relatively recent tragic events in Canada (attack upon the guard at the Canadian War Memorial), we will no longer be answering questions relating to specifics regarding current security and armament at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. We appreciate your understanding.

Rest assured, that the US Army has the post secured as it has been since we started guard duty at the shrine in 1926.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Military personnel do not arrest- they apprehend. The Tomb is a military installation, and the sentries have the authority to apprehend. Persons that have violated Federal law would be handed over to a U.S. Marshall, who WILL arrest.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Military personnel do not arrest- they apprehend. The Tomb is a military installation, and the sentries have the authority to apprehend. Persons that have violated Federal law would be handed over to a U.S. Marshall, who WILL arrest.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no doubt a few offensive tourists need a real beatdown at this sacred shrine
  • Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I knew an officer of "The Old Guard" who loved his duty there.

I would not want to be a person who attempted to vandalize or deface the Tomb.

The guards would stop them.

They'd be nice at first, but if the individual continued to attempt to attack The Tomb he would be met with resistance until the threat was neutralized.

They would stop the threat and then let the legal folks figure out what to do while they returned to their guard duties.

Don't forget there's more folks nearby if needed, and they are all fully-trained soldiers who take great pride in their job.
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Queens guard hasn't been pussified,, yet.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv007iMWRMY

The second section was pretty good.[:D][:D][:D][}:)]
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ANC like many federal installations has their own civilian law enforcement. They are the same police that provide LE to Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are not called guards without a reason. They are bad *. Impeccably dressed bad *, but the crease in their pants would not stop them from putting a crease in some moron's skull.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:How much authority does our guards have?
    Can they arrest/detain?
    Use of force?

And lest you worry about the safety of children or others who are incapable of restraining their outbursts, Miller says Sentinels will not * confront visitors who fail to heed their warnings.

?There is a public safety officer that works for Arlington National Cemetery that is nearby most of the time, and they would be the ones to ask them to leave the cemetery premises,? Miller says.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kids and other innocents, no. But if somebody charged the monument with a clear intent for mayhem, they'd get their mayhem, all right. But on the receiving end.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Don't need rounds when a Butt stroke will do.
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Arlington, and the adjacent Fort Myer is patrolled 24/7 by Department of the Army (DOD) Federal Police & US Army active duty Military Police. Each have the powers of arrest & apprehension on a Federal Military Installation.

Any civilian breaking laws within the boundaries of the cemetery or Fort are subject to USC Federal code, and will be dealt with accordingly.

They could find their selves being turned over to the US Marshals, FBI, or local authorities if the local US Magistrate approves it, but they have the right to charge the offender if they choose.

Refuse to comply with a US Masitrate?s order after being charged on Federal property, and the US Marshals will come knocking on their door to serve a warrant for arrest.

This applies to allmost all of the Federal lands, buildings, and monuments in & around the DC area, even the Pentagon that are patrolled by the Federal Park Police & DOD Police.

Arlington is a Military Restricted area after hours, and all gates are locked, and no entry is permitted.

Back during the Vietnam era it used to be a thing for Hippies in town for a protest to try and seek onto the cemetery grounds, and roast a weannie at JFK?s internal flame. Several of them got a nightstick up side their heads, and a swift kick in the * off the grounds.

How were they going to report it?...[;)]

Trinity +++
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    quote:Originally posted by droptop
    The Queens guard hasn't been pussified,, yet.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv007iMWRMY

The second section was pretty good.[:D][:D][:D][}:)]

Looks totally staged .

Its from a British TV show...here's the real deal...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXiDoiFs1vU