In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Yugoslav Partisan

Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Stjepan_Filipovic.jpg

Partisan fighter Stjepan "Stevo" Filipovi? shouting "Death to fascism, freedom to the people!" (the Partisan slogan) seconds before his execution.

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I remember correctly he was declared a national hero by the post war communist government of Yugoslavia. He had a huge staute dedicated to him, which was later torn down by the anti communists in 1991.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    If I remember correctly he was declared a national hero by the post war communist government of Yugoslavia. He had a huge staute dedicated to him, which was later torn down by the anti communists in 1991.

He wasn't German...but he had cahones!!! I just hope that if the time ever came, I could be as brave.
  • beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Nathan Hale represents a better example of patriot for Americans than some Communist partisan whose statue his own people tore down when they emerged from the yoke of Communist oppression. Must have been a real communist dirtball for the PEOPLE of his own country to rip it down as soon as they were able to taste true freedom. Still some people might find some value in admiring communist scum.....I don't.[:0][:0]!Beach

P.S. Survivalist do you have some pictures of communist chinese heroes of yours?

P.P.S. This is just too easy...I really must cease and desist[:D]
  • mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Survivalist86

He wasn't German...but he had cahones!!! I just hope that if the time ever came, I could be as brave.

Please don't get the impression that I felt that the man was not brave, clearly he looked his enemies squarely in the face and laughed at them. My feeling is that his core beliefs were misguided. His struggle against the fascists who occupied his country were noble but the communists government which he supported and would eventually rule Yugoslavia was in many ways far worse than the fascist government it replaced. As Beachmaster said, as soon as the people of Yugoslavia had a chance for real freedom they tore down the icons of the old hard line communist government and tossed them into the waste bin.
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Former Yugoslavia"

[}:)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Survivalist86

Please don't get the impression that I felt that the man was not brave, clearly he looked his enemies squarely in the face and laughed at them. My feeling is that his core beliefs were misguided. His struggle against the fascists who occupied his country were noble but the communists government which he supported and would eventually rule Yugoslavia was in many ways far worse than the fascist government it replaced. As Beachmaster said, as soon as the people of Yugoslavia had a chance for real freedom they tore down the icons of the old hard line communist government and tossed them into the waste bin.

I cannot say I agree with Mahatma Gandhi, however he had a serious set of cajones.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If having a set is your criteria for a hero, you can add Saddam Hussein to your list.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    If having a set is your criteria for a hero, you can add Saddam Hussein to your list.

I would not call him a hero, but he had ballz. He also managed to keep warring factions in check, and keep the Iranians at bay. I am not condoning genocide, nor am I saying I approve of his dictator style of government, but maybe we should have thought about that before propping him up, and maybe we would not have the Iranian problem if Iraq were there as a counter weight.

Our foreign policy has been very shortsighted for the last 50 years. We keep setting up tin pot dictators because they serve our political interests at the time. Then we eventually demonize them, and knock them down.

I think that the scum we are supporting today, will be our future problems, specifically the House of Saud and Pervez Musharraf. Just my opinion.