In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Any good stock market tips?

beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,552 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
With the stock market creeping upward, I thought I would dabble in the market and see if I could make a few bucks. Anyone have any stock suggestions?
0M9InwN.gif[

Comments

• PSFD DONKEYPSFD DONKEY Member Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Invest in mason jars. That is where my money is, much safer[:D]
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Out of the few stocks I have only Ruger and Google have been doing well-in fact Ruger has been doing extremely well since they introduced the LCP and LCR and with Obama taking office. I had some stock in S&W but it was mediocre.

Here is what Ruger is doing as a company at the moment from the stockholder report: The first quarter of 2009 was a significant improvement over the first quarter of last year and continues the progress made in 2008:
    The level of demand for our products during the first quarter of 2009 has been unusually high, with more than 500,000 units ordered.
    Our firearms sales grew 55.5% from the first quarter of 2008 and 8.7% from the fourth quarter of 2008.
    Our firearms unit production grew 69.3% from the first quarter of 2008 and 25.6% from the fourth quarter of 2008.
    Our backlog grew to 458,900 units and $136.3 million at the end of the first quarter of 2009, from 175,900 units and $47.8 million at the end of 2008.
    We had a successful launch of a new product platform, the LCR, our Lightweight, Compact Revolver.
    Cash generated from operations during the first quarter of 2009 was $10.4 million. At the end of the first quarter of 2009, our cash, cash equivalents and short-term investments totaled $33.9 million. Our pre-LIFO working capital of $96.4 million, less the LIFO reserve of $44.1 million, resulted in working capital of $52.3 million and a current ratio of 2.9 to 1. The Company HAS NO DEBT.
    We declared a dividend of 8.6? per share for shareholders of record as of May 15, 2009, payable on May 29, 2009.
    During the first quarter of 2009, capital expenditures totaled $3.7 million. We expect to invest approximately $12 million for capital expenditures during 2009.

now granted I'm not getting rich off of google and ruger stock but they along with some other ones are cheap enough to buy and you can dabble lol.
  • susiesusie Member Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, you should have been buying four/five months ago when it had bottomed out. We bought Ford at less than $2 about five months ago and it's over $6 now.

If you are serious, but don't want to pay hefty fees or have to buy a thousand shares at a time try this website:

http://www.directinvesting.com/

You pay a yearly subscription fee and you can purchase stock, one to a gazzlion shares for a flat fee of $25 per purchase, not share. Many of the shares offer dividend reinvestment so your dividends go to the purchase of more shares. Once you have stock in a company, you no longer pay the $25 purchase fee because you are now a stock holder and purchase through the company not Direct Investing.

You can also set up a monthly direct purchase for stock through whatever company you are investing in from your checking or savings account or direct from your paycheck.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been using sharebuilder.com and so far it's been a positive experience. Pretty easy to set up and only $4 commissions if you buy & sell on tuesdays $9 anytime buy/sell.
  • mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wells Fargo (WFC)
    Bank

Alcoa (AA)
    Metals

Diodes (DIOD)
    Electronics

Research in Motion (RIMM) -- Manufacture of hand held Blackberries

Would have been better buying these about a month or so ago, I did.
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    My suggestion to you is pull out.

Liquidate all your investments and put it into silver or gold depending on how much you have.

I had friends pull out over two years ago and they are quite pleased.

Silver hasn't even hit it's mark yet. normally 16 pieces to one piece gold...

By the end of July you will be thanking me.

If you believe that our current fiat currency which is a worthless security will be worth anything the way they have been printing it and doling it out. You are sadly mistaken.

If you want a good model, just look at Germany when they printed a bunch of cash and hyper inflated their marks. At least the people were mildly warned when they pulled the silver out of the coins and stamped aluminum. We had no warning and have been trusting toilet paper backed by guns since the 60's.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    aig went down to .38cents in march during the bonus issue, and is now 2.01 a share

i called it but not that high, and unfortunately i'm broke
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    I am buying as much Gold as I can right now...buying it at no more than .75 of Spot, so 25% profit right out of the box.
  • 8000fthi8000fthi Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HandLoad
    I am buying as much Gold as I can right now...buying it at no more than .75 of Spot, so 25% profit right out of the box.
    Where do you buy gold under spot? Please post it.
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    Short term investments in ammo.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Our Country is going to collapse, short term.

Investing in anything that isn't tangible - like firearms, ammunition, and fuel, that you can't keep at home, seems like an error to me.

Doug
  • PSFD DONKEYPSFD DONKEY Member Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    Our Country is going to collapse, short term.

Investing in anything that isn't tangible - like firearms, ammunition, and fuel, that you can't keep at home, seems like an error to me.

Doug

+1 food may be the next currency
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Here's how you buy Gold WAAY UNDER spot - go to the seamiest parts of town - (Best if you have a Wingman, both of you carrying) and go to the Pawnshops. They will have gold coin jewelry, usually 1/10 OZ coins in some sort of glitter surround. They mark it at $199.00 - you offer less than Market close last trade day. The PawnBroker has taken it in and loaned out cash of about 10%, so it only cost him $20-39 bucks. He marks it at Spot, plus some. You waltz in with cash, and tell him you know he only paid $30 for it. You say you only care about the coin, and will only pay, say $75...he counters with $120, You counter with 80 bucks...he says he won't sell it at that. You take your time going to the parking lot, and about half the time, he will come out and say OK - $90...You say OK, but that must include tax. They go for it over half the time!!!

I bought one today, for $80 1/10 St Gaudens - Last Spot was $913...So I got the coin UNDER SPOT, and the 14K surround (another 2 Grams) for FREE!

Have Done it thirteen times in the last week and a half.

Remember - if you buy Jewelry, the Gov't can't take it like they did last time, but you will have to pay tax. If you buy bare coins, No Tax, but you will probably have to pay spot, or a little over, unless the broker is Desparate for money (Which Happens). BUT - if The Messiah wants to confiscate Gold, it has been done already, and there would be no bar to doing it again.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think any company that deals with either directly or indirectly with commodities will see a big surge when the economy gets going. This includes equipment manufacturers, metal producers, ect.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beware of the sucker's rally- It looks good now, but it ain't over yet.
    Might join GB ASYLUM for a test run![:D]

Email 1911a1fan to join the group!
  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,596 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beneteau
    Anyone have any stock suggestions?

Don't invest when I do.

My first foray into the market was in Dec of '99....just in time for the "dot bomb" bust....I lost half of my investment in 2 months. [xx(]

I stayed away until last spring, and put a sizable chunk in. [xx(][xx(]
  • PlowboyPlowboy Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Black Angus Beef, Hampshire Hogs, Production Red Chickens, Dorset Sheep, Large White Turkeys, New Zealand Rabbits.
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy low.

Sell high.

That is all.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cce1302

Buy low.

Sell high.

AND do NOT use a margin.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, the market is bouncing back.

Even a dead cat will bounce when you drop it off a 10 story building.

Been putting my money into metals. Stainless steel, blued steel, parkerized steel.

But if you want to fool around, look up stock symbol TR.
    Pull a 5 yr chart, and note the number of stock splits.
    Yep- Tootsie Roll.
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    Guns, Gold, and silver
  • chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I understand prefered stock was better than common stock. Does prefered stock even exist anymore?
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    Oilfield stocks. NBR, AXAS, HAL, etc. I also recommend getting into EBOF which is Willie Nelson's Bio Diesel company.