In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

why do we need the 7mm mag?

nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Recently acquired a 7mm Rem Mag. Got it in trade for my 357 with my cousin. I've been needing a good high powered huntin' rifle for some time and he threw in the scope and a nice sling and it's had less than 100 rounds through it so I figured, why not?

Looking at its performance, however, I'm a little confused as to why it remains a viable cartridge. it almost always drives bullets of an equivalent weight slower than does the venerable .30-06. When it manages a faster velocity, the difference is minimal, usually in the neighborhood of 100 fps; hardly a show stopping increase. Likewise, the amount of powder used to obtain these near identical velocities are almost always very similar as well, and in many cases the 7 uses less powder for a given bullet weight than the '06. This is in spite of the fact that the 7mm case is substantially larger than the aforementioned '06. what's the point of having a big belted magnum case and not using all of its capacity to drive that bullet to the limit?

So again, what is the advantage of the 7? Is it just the longer, thinner bullets and thus increased BC and/or sectional density?

Comments

• D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    It's a much flatter shooter because of the BC issue - with equivalent bullets.

Using your point, one could make the same argument against any other cartridge.

The .30-06 is the ultimate rifle cartridge.

Period.

Thank you John Browning !!

What an incredible intellect.

Doug
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    because the first two that met the giant bear in denali with a 9mm & 38 became dinner.....
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    imho anything the 7 mag will do the .280 rem will without the punishment ...i still favor the 30-06 for being hard to improve on though. i got rid of my 7 mag ,when i figured out that at short ranges it was shooting through without the bullet having time to expand and do its job..i think its best for long range only
  • topdadtopdad Member Posts: 3,408 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    with so many chamberings avalible, that could be said
    about lots of them. I guess it comes down to likes, and
    dislikes. After all, with a 30/06, a 22lr., and a 12ga.
    you could handle just about anything that you need to.
    WOW I'm going to shut up now, that's starting to sound
    like the gun ban bunch. revision: because the second
    amendment says I can keep and bear it.
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Weight for weight a 7mm bullet has a higher Sectional Density than a 30 caliber bullet.

150 grain 7mm is higher than a 150 grain 308 and so on.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Heaviest 308 bullet has higher sd-220gr=.331sd than heaviest 7mm bullet-175gr=.310sd[^]
    edited November -1
    There are 190 grain Barnes 7mm bullets running around.[:)]
  • joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    its also a versatile bullet. you can pretty much take any game with it vs the .30-06 you can't
    edited November -1
    I would use either the 7 mag or the 30-06 for any critter that walks the earth.
    edited November -1
    And 240gr 308 Sierras too[:0]
    edited November -1
    You left out the Barnes 250 grain in 308.[:)]
  • mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In a nut shell: The 7mm is needed because I have a Winchester Model 70 chambered in that caliber. After I sell this rifle the 7mm cartridge will have outlived its usefulness [;)]
    [img][/img]Win707mmII.jpg
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    In a nut shell: The 7mm is needed because I have a Winchester Model 70 chambered in that caliber. After I sell this rifle the 7mm cartridge will have outlived its usefulness [;)]

This is essentially my appraisal of it as well.
    edited November -1
    algore-Went to the Barnes Bullet site and Midway sites. but could not find any 190gr 7mm or 250gr 308 . Please provide a link for these 2 bullets.

thank you
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    dont know. I had a guy ask my why i would want a 300 win mag when the 7mm mag is a better round. I asked him why it was a better round and he coulnt give me a answer. Then he asked me why i picked the 300 win and i just simply stated is easier for me to get bullets for reloading. If i wanted to just do some target shooing i would load up some fmj and plink away. That and i could buy large lots of .30 cal and reload the 30-06 and 300 win mag with the same bullets sense both are sighted in for 168gr right now. That and i'm just getting into reloading and didnt want a two types of bullet to reload for right now.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by footlong
    algore-Went to the Barnes Bullet site and Midway sites. but could not find any 190gr 7mm or 250gr 308 . Please provide a link for these 2 bullets.

thank you

Don't know if they are still making them or not. These were the RNSP Originals. Some people such as myself hate to part with items we may need in the future.[:)]
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why would a person climb a mountain? Becuase it's there.
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why do we need a reason to?
  • haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    If we had the calibers we just need, then there would be the 22LR, 30-06, 12gauge, and 45acp. I think those will do anything you want on this continent.

We have the others because we want them, or someone tried to build a better mousetrap. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by haroldchrismeyer
    If we had the calibers we just need, then there would be the 22LR, 30-06, 12gauge, and 45acp. I think those will do anything you want on this continent.

We have the others because we want them, or someone tried to build a better mousetrap. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

You are about right on here but just like cars people prefer different models/calibers. I personally do not see any need for the 7mm mag but the next guy might. As for cars, I do not see any need other than Fords but again the nest guy might see different. It is all about personnel preference.

I personally have killed more deer,hogs,bear with a 30-30 than all of my other guns combined. I live in SC and most shots are less than 75 yards. Now that same 30-30 wouldn't be much good out west where the 7mm has the down range advantage. I now use a 45-70 on most of my hunts but again most of my shots are less than 75 yards. I have gone out west and hunted Mule deer and Elk and I have a 300 H&H magnum for that type of hunting. I would prefer the 30 caliber over the 7mm mainly because I can shoot a bigger bullet and I have alot more choices as to which bullet to use. Of course I could do anything with a 7mm that I can do with my 300 except for the biggest of bears. I would not feel confident with a 7mm on the biggest of bears but with my 300 H&H I can shoot a 220 gr bullet at over 3000 fps.
    edited November -1
    al-The highest sd I ever remember seeing was a 200gr load put out by Kynoch in 7mm mauser. Ithink they calledit .275 because of the odd way they measured from the lands. Anyway it was supposedly the favorite load of DWM Bell. The famous ivory hunter. I think the load was pretty slow too. App2200fps. the sd musta been almost.400
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For that matter why do we need the fat magnums, Lazzeroni's, Weatherby's or any of these? Because we can have them. The market will weed out the ones no one buys. I just got into 7x57. Just because I always thought they'd be cool, not cause I need one.
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Recently I have started using the 06 as the benchmark or the standard for comparison. If the newest wonder cartridge can't do something destinctly better than an 06 I can't think of a good reason to buy this new, maybe not so wonderful after all, cartridge. I don't think the 7mm Rem Mag does anything a lot better than an 06. Like an 06, (or the 308, 270, 25-06, 300 Win Mag and so many others) the 7mm Rem Mag will do pretty much anything you need it to do, but mine is turning into a safe queen. Hasn't been out except to clean in a couple of years. Probably ought to list it on GB.
  • shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    My 7mm is the go to rifle i have the faith that if i can do my job it will no doubt do its
    it is the favorite gun from yotes to elk
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looking at trajectories, 7mmrm, beside say .300wm It doesnt look all that impressive. It must be sectional density, still it aint that great when compared to the .264's.
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    I always thought 7mm was one of those perfect bullets that combines length, width and weight to fly "effortlessly" I have a 7mm mag Ruger M-77 it is about the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. I have killed moose, bear and deer with it (and even a showshoe hair and a s ruffed grouse)
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian

And I have a 7MM WSM Model 70 Featherweight. My 2nd Amendment rights say that I have the right to keep and bare arms.

It does not say what kind of arms nor of what caliber.
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 30/06 is anything but vunerable, its the most reloaded caliber there is. Its suitable for almost all North American Game. The .280 Rem didnt become very popular,but they were room for a 7MM such as the 7MM-08 and the 7MM Mag. As said above look at the reloading data the cartridges are indeed very different. I have the 3 Rifles and each has its own shooting advantage.

Best!!
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own both, I prefer the 7mm mag. AND, the 30-06 guys tend to be a little "generous" when describing what thier chronograph said.

My 7mm mag runs a 150gr balisitc tip at almost 3200fps,.....never had to track a deer, even on 500yd shots.
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 7mm Magnum is the perfect balance of all factors combined in one cartidge.

As stated it kills the game. Plain and simple. I have used some of the short magnums when they first came out and talked to several people who used them for a short time and all have reported poor perfomance on game even though the paper numbers claim great performance. I don't know if they stretched beyond the perfect balance achieved in the 7mmMagnum or not but poor performers as far as taking game.
    I will continue useing the 7mm magnum because where does a guy go from there?[;)]
  • 4406v4406v Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have also killed a bear,moose,elk and numerous whitetails with a 7mm rem. mag. All I can say is "Do I need anything other than a 7mm?"