In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

35 mpg by 2016

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
President Barack Obama will announce plans on Tuesday for a national fuel-economy and greenhouse-gas standard for automobiles in an effort to give more certainty to car companies as they struggle for survival, industry and administration sources told POLITICO on Monday.

The national emissions policy for autos, which will ramp up to a new standard of about 35 miles per gallon in 2016, will harmonize the corporate average fuel economy, or CAFE, standard and the Environmental Protection Agency's greenhouse-gas standard.

That way, officials explain, industry will not have to worry that the administration will regulate those on separate tracks.

The administration will bill the tailpipe-emissions announcement as historic because it avoids a patchwork of standards and has won agreement from so many stakeholders, including automakers, state governments, the Department of Transportation and the EPA.

California had been seeking permission to establish its own greenhouse-gas reduction standard for tailpipe emissions but now can be expected to ultimately accept the federal standard.

In secret conversations, the Obama administration has lined up support from many state governments and a huge array of domestic and foreign automakers, including GM, Ford, Chrysler, BMW and many more.

Auto executives are flying into Washington from around the world for the White House announcement.

California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, a Republican, is expected to attend, the sources said.

The CAFE standard was established by Congress in 1975 in response to the Arab Oil embargo.

On Obama's seventh day in office, he directed his Transportation Department to establish higher fuel-efficiency standards for carmakers' 2011 model year "so that we use less oil and families have access to cleaner, more-efficient cars and trucks."

"This rule will be a down payment on a broader and sustained effort to reduce our dependence on foreign oil," he said. "Going forward, my administration will work on a bipartisan basis in Washington and with industry partners across the country to forge a comprehensive approach that makes our economy stronger and our nation more secure."

This announcement implements a uniform standard for a later date.

Comments

• sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    Now if we can just get those 4-6,000 lb SUV's to get 30+ mpg!

May have to install Harley motors in them with big fans to keep them cool.
  • alan selfalan self Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can see it now. We will all be driving flint mobiles. Then they will raise the price of shoes.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire

On Obama's seventh day in office, he directed his Transportation Department to establish higher fuel-efficiency standards for carmakers' 2011 model year "so that we use less oil and families have access to cleaner, more-efficient cars and trucks."

So these new cars are going to be made but how does that give "access" to them for the families that are unable to buy then due to the now higher price. New cars with more crap in them cost more to build and more to maintain. Of course when the unemployment is at a high people dont buy cars. Is he planning on giving them away?
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    My old Geo Metro got damned near 49 mpg years ago. Of coarse it was just a glorified 3 cylinder go cart,but it sure saved on gas.
  • sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    dam near every piece of crap over here in europe already gets that mpg. american auto industry has been in bed with the oil industry forever and they will eventually get caught with their pants down.

the technology is there to provide us kick * trucks and cars while saving gas if you are easy on the pedal.

the feds should have no say on what we get for cars.
  • KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by storm6490
    dam near every piece of crap over here in europe already gets that mpg. american auto industry has been in bed with the oil industry forever and they will eventually get caught with their pants down.

the technology is there to provide us kick * trucks and cars while saving gas if you are easy on the pedal.

every POS is right...

the real cars like BMW, Audi, even the VW Passat don't get anywhere near 35mpg...they get about 30 highway, which comparable US cars already get
  • SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    Yep,and by the time the 35mpg standard is put in effect gas will be $10.50 a gallon.It's all a money game.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't see high performance cars on the menu. So long Camaro, Corvette, Challenger, Mustang. You can hear them Chinese cars being loaded on the ships.
  • dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,540 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its all about choices i have sports cars thats what i like. My cars get 14 mpg if im easy on it. But its my choice.[B)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dav1965
    Its all about choices i have sports cars thats what i like. My cars get 14 mpg if im easy on it. But its my choice.[B)]

You will qualify for that 4500 gas hog incentive the prez wants to hand out so you can get better mileage.
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KSUmarksman
    quote:Originally posted by storm6490

every POS is right...

the real cars like BMW, Audi, even the VW Passat don't get anywhere near 35mpg...they get about 30 highway, which comparable US cars already get

mercedes, audi, bmw, fiat, skoda, renault, pugeot all are really good cars. the new ones are fast fun and economical. the POS cars im talking about over here are the old old fiat, skoda and other foreign diesel four bangers.

we are really spoiled in america with our cars and it should stay that way. an audi a4 from america can kill damn near everything over here because most the nice cars here are diesel.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Dads old 1941 Desoto did better than 35 MPG.. flat head six cylinder, 3 speed on the column..Car I learned to drive with..[:D]
  • SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    Whats Joe gonna do??[:0][:D]
    Shirtless-Biden-R_article.jpg
    edited November -1
    Nightly News just said 42mpg for cars 27 mpg for light trucks with an average of 35mpg.
  • LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,142 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ah yes, the ever increasing MPG theory.

When vehicles start achieving higher MPG the tax revenue to the feds and states drop so they start looking for other ways to tax.

GPS is the neighboring state of Oregon's suggestion so they can determine when, where, and how far you drive.

All those tin foil hat people (and those who don't wear hats) who worry about micro chips implanted by the government need to be concerned about Government mandated GPS tracking instead.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    35 mpg by 2016

and won't be able to pull a rabbit out of a hole![V]
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my wifes 04 chevy caviler (2.2L 4cyl. 5spd manual) already gets 39 mpg highway....all I have ever done to it is keep up good on mant. and i put a drop in K&N airfilter in (like 40 bucks I think)
  • speedbuggy16vspeedbuggy16v Member Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    heck my ol POS VW gets better than that, and thats with the fuel injection head leaking like a sieve. once I replace that stupid O ring 45 to 50 should not be problem, 1984 turbo diesel quantum wagon, AKA the truck that needs heavier springs [^]

speedbuggy16v

and yes it can get out of its own way, but definitly not a hot rod by any means