In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Credit card check out fees: illegal

2»

Comments

• Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PanzerSlayer2
    I don't know how Gunbroker is going to get around it if it passes but in Michigan they are going to pass a law where the listed price must be the highest price to be paid. In other words you cannot have a price of $X.XX tack on 3%. It will be assumed that $X.XX will include the 3% and that cash buyers will pay 3% less.

Good for them. They can take it up with the sellers, That "state" already has some great laws.

BB Guns must ship to an FFL.
    They want to collect tax on the full amount of a transaction from out of state.
    Now this?

Fine....
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    quote:Originally posted by PanzerSlayer2
    I don't know how Gunbroker is going to get around it if it passes but in Michigan they are going to pass a law where the listed price must be the highest price to be paid. In other words you cannot have a price of $X.XX tack on 3%. It will be assumed that $X.XX will include the 3% and that cash buyers will pay 3% less.

Good for them. They can take it up with the sellers, That "state" already has some great laws.

BB Guns must ship to an FFL.
    They want to collect tax on the full amount of a transaction from out of state.
    Now this?

Fine....

I for one am glad I don't live in several other states... Including Michigan.
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMP I and most all have no problem with your comments.

I believe they were explained but obviously not in a way that convinced anyone you were correct.

CC fees are built in to all sales everywhere.
    the difference her is you can avoid them by having that stated upfront.

My Benz mechanic charges for repairs/maintenance. If I pay him cash he discounts it.
    He gives me what he would have given the CC company.

You almost insinuate he should give me that discount for the CC but still let me use the CC and pay the fee again.

It is the way you are looking at this.

I really do see your point but the bottom line is simple. You are getting the cc fee removed upfront but if you want to pay with a CC you don't get that discount.

Some may be pushing you a little but you too are pushing as well

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Yep, the poor FFLs that pay 98% of what a gun can sell for must be losing money all the time.
    The FFLs that get all flustered about a piddly (up to)6% fee for using a secure service to make sales in other states or to High Dollar Buyers are the ones that don't understand how to run a business OR manage a lemonaid stand.

Lots of sellers on GB don't take personal checks; but they will take 7-11 money orders, Walmart MOs, etc. which IMHO are less secure for either party.

Lots of buyers simply refuse to mail cash for their purchases.

So- the amenable way to resolve the issue of whether anyone gets paid for a transaction at arms' length is to trust some other entity with moving the money from A to B.

Viola! Credit Cards were created just for this situation.
    And they charge somebody for the service.
    If it happens to be YOU; maybe you can find a CDNN catalog to order from, or one of many other Distributors that takes cash/checks/money orders instead of credit cards (because you know they won't charge you an extra 3-6% for mailing cash-but when it doesn't arrive, just tell them how much it was before it disappeared), and charges lower prices (for FFLs Only) for their products.

Remember the first rule of profit; Buy low, Sell high!
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    Anyway you look at it, the cost of doing business is always passed on to the consumer. As it should be!

Just like taxes and penalties levied on corporations. Some specific group of people cannot grasp that concept.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jmprecious

So, I thought I raised a legitimate question/concern/argument and, as I should have known, we would get off the track of reason and resort to name calling, personality stuff, my dick is bigger than yours, you must be a liberal, etc. and all that crap...yeah, my last name is Precious...that's my real name, I don't see too many of you guts/glory guys and logic makers signing off with your real name.....so, I leave this useless source of the information highway, once again, with which I thought was a legitimate question... to all the experts and hero's, especially the most senior and who have nothing better to do with their time than to post 40k worth of posts.. I say, you are definitely the final word , no one else can have an opinion as valid as yours : "dead center X-ring Donny".

...just for the record, I am a veteran, a recent veteran, have paid my dues, and am tired of getting ripped off.

It strikes me that the most offended people in this conversation are the same ones who work the gun shows or their gun shops and then run home with the gun they beat some widow down on, laugh about it to their buddies, and then pop it on GB hoping to make a big profit...what a guy, what a country ! Good night Irene !!!!

Thank you for your service to our nation! [^][^][^]

In a voluntary transaction with the terms spelled out you are not being ripped off; you may not be able to comprehend the terms, you may not like them but nobody is cheating you. When you place your bid you are accepting the terms of the auction by clicking SUBMIT BID. If you don't like the terms GO BUY FROM ANOTHER SELLER.

Saying someone is "ripping you off" when YOU decide to bid/buy sounds more like immature sour grapes, buyers remorse than a ligit complaint.
  • Options
    captnobodycaptnobody Member Posts: 426 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I figure what my top bid would be then subtract 3% on those auctions
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost

In a voluntary transaction with the terms spelled out you are not being ripped off; you may not be able to comprehend the terms, you may not like them but nobody is cheating you. When you place your bid you are accepting the terms of the auction by clicking SUBMIT BID. If you don't like the terms GO BUY FROM ANOTHER SELLER.

Saying someone is "ripping you off" when YOU decide to bid/buy sounds more like immature sour grapes, buyers remorse than a ligit complaint.

EXACTLY!
  • Options
    DRP-AZDRP-AZ Member Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To the OP.

Don't like it? Don't be lazy, go down to the USPS and send a legit money order.

Some of you guys with your "rewards" cards cost almost 6 PERCENT from the transaction. Not worth it and I don't accept them if I can avoid it.

The CC company doesn't pay for those "rewards" the MERCHANT does!
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Easy math for me ..You see I am your local mom and pop guy. I sell a gun here for lets say $1000 .. I pay the $20 or w/e it is auction fee then run your credit card which costs me atleast 4% so there is another $40 out of the window. So I have no lost $60 on my sale.. If you think we make much money on gun sales you got another thing coming.. My auctions state a CC fee and its a free country folks.. If you dont like it then DO NOT BID !!
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jmprecious
    ...just for the record, I am a veteran, a recent veteran, have paid my dues, and am tired of getting ripped off.

i fail to see how you being a veteran bears on this conversation.

a fair amount of members here have served in the military. by extension, i think its a safe assumption that a good amoutn of the buyers and sellers here are also veterans.

so yeah, i dont how its relevant....
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,026 ******
    edited November -1
    Easy answer. Pay by check or money order. Or, just don't bid on auctions that state there is an added fee for using a credit card.
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,421 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yep real easy here. MO is only auctions i bid on, since i dont use CCs