In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How Races Think Differently

dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
edited March 2018 in General Discussion
Every mourning i would go to my bosses desk at 630 and get the work that had to be completed that day.

At 7 when everyone would come in i would give out the work for the day.

One day i had to send 2 people across the road to pick up trash from where the people would go across the road to smoke because we were a smoke free factory. They would also sit over their after work and drink beer.

A farmer owned the land and he did not mind people going over their as long as it was kept clean.

I picked me and a black guy nick named the Rev because he was a part time preacher. The whole time we were over there he cried about how embarrassing it was for a black man to be picking up paper on the side of the road.

It took about 45 minuets and he fussed like that the entire time. Im like dude we are out of the plant and its a pretty day how can this upset you. He told me black people have more pride than white people.

Comments

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the ?Rev? wasn?t across the street drinking and smoking I don?t blame him for being pissed he had to clean up after those that do.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is false pride to think any job is beneath you.

When I was a young pup working my way up, I would spend 60 hours at my profession and pick up landscaping jobs on the weekend. Laying sod (not a euphemism) trenching, etc. A good Saturday would put $100.00 in my bank account rather than spending it on tequila and the costs associated with tequila.

Actual pride is taking the work available, and doing the best job you can.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,728 ******
    edited November -1
    Electricians that worked for me would piss and moan about having to put in light bulbs.
    When we hired contractors to do this task, they pissed and moaned about giving their work away.
    I used to kid them, ?Soon as I can find some Mexican electricians, y?all have had it.?
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dav1965
    Every mourning i would go to my bosses desk at 630 and get the work that had to be completed that day.

At 7 when everyone would come in i would give out the work for the day.

One day i had to send 2 people across the road to pick up trash from where the people would go across the road to smoke because we were a smoke free factory. They would also sit over their after work and drink beer.

A farmer owned the land and he did not mind people going over their as long as it was kept clean.

I picked me and a black guy nick named the Rev because he was a part time preacher. The whole time we were over there he cried about how embarrassing it was for a black man to be picking up paper on the side of the road.

It took about 45 minuets and he fussed like that the entire time. Im like dude we are out of the plant and its a pretty day how can this upset you. He told me black people have more pride than white people.

I've known an awful lot of black people, and I cannot think of a one of them that would piss and moan in such a racist manner.
    What's next?
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,179 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suppose all those by gone days of where black folk were field instrument must be imprinted deep in the genes/psyche. Too high class for honest labor.

I wonder how many times he stood in the church asking folk to give him a brand new Cadillac? Ain't too proud to beg.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,449 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster
    I suppose all those by gone days of where black folk were field instrument must be imprinted deep in the genes/psyche. Too high class for honest labor.

I wonder how many times he stood in the church asking folk to give him a brand new Cadillac? Ain't too proud to beg.
    [;)]
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hell I clean toilets, plunge toilets, pick up trash, Etc.

Money is money and I like green :)

The wife and I were sitting home the other day and a friend posted a chance to make 75 bucks easy, I called and she needed someone to go downtown and clean up after some contractors had left a mess on a driveway off a fancy home off East bay street. Wife and I loaded rakes, leaf bags, and brooms and off we went, took less than an hour and pocketed 75 smackers.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    A couple years ago one winter afternoon sitting in the local pizza shop a fella came in and walked to the back tables where there was a card game going on some young guns around twenty something asked who wants to make a quick 100.00 ride 45 minutes unload 2 tons of short steel no one replied as he walked by To leave I said need some help buddy I will go we went took exactly 15 minutes to unload that load of bridge studs came back they were still playing cards I said who's up 100.00 they just looked at me when I waved that 100 Dollar bill at them and walked out the door . some things are just beneath some people[^]
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,646 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it goes both ways did not matter there race some think menial labor is below them even sweeping a floor ,
    and many more that would jump right in to get a job completed .
    I have worked at waste treatment plants cleaning the settling tanks ( think human crap ankle + deep and sludge in a apx 100'x8' tank about a dozen of them in teh heat of summer
    both black and white right beside me . and I bet countless people of all races would not get within a 1000 feet of one ..
    It was common for most as we would start each day go toss up there breakfast due to the smell and then go at it . next day same thing
    I guess it depends on work ethic and how much you want to support your family
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodshed87
    A couple years ago one winter afternoon sitting in the local pizza shop a fella came in and walked to the back tables where there was a card game going on some young guns around twenty something asked who wants to make a quick 100.00 ride 45 minutes unload 2 tons of short steel no one replied as he walked by To leave I said need some help buddy I will go we went took exactly 15 minutes to unload that load of bridge studs came back they were still playing cards I said who's up 100.00 they just looked at me when I waved that 100 Dollar bill at them and walked out the door . some things are just beneath some people[^]

[:D][:D][:D]
    What's next?
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own this castle and all of its lands. I still empty the trash and clean toilets.
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    It is false pride to think any job is beneath you.

When I was a young pup working my way up, I would spend 60 hours at my profession and pick up landscaping jobs on the weekend. Laying sod (not a euphemism) trenching, etc. A good Saturday would put $100.00 in my bank account rather than spending it on tequila and the costs associated with tequila.

Actual pride is taking the work available, and doing the best job you can.

Preach it!
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Sometimes it's the willingness to do even the menial jobs that gives you the advantage in your climb to the top.
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,421 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Warbirds
    If the ?Rev? wasn?t across the street drinking and smoking I don?t blame him for being pissed he had to clean up after those that do.

i would be pissed too!
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Warbirds

I still remember picking ups cigarette butts in front of the PX at Fort Sill. We called it "police call". I do not smoke - and never did.

Sometimes you just have to do what the Boss says to do.

We used to call that "Life". [;)]
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "It is false pride to think that any job is beneath you."

Well put, Don. Words of wisdom.

I have scrubbed toilets for a living, I have picked up garbage, I have, God Forbid, loaded hay bales for ten hours a day in the hot sun.
    Somebody has to do these tasks.
    The real man takes pride in his work and always does a good job no matter what the task at hand.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    "It is false pride to think that any job is beneath you."

Well put, Don. Words of wisdom.

I have scrubbed toilets for a living, I have picked up garbage, I have, God Forbid, loaded hay bales for ten hours a day in the hot sun.
    Somebody has to do these tasks.
    The real man takes pride in his work and always does a good job no matter what the task at hand.

Used to buck bales for a nickel apiece. Kept a lad in shape.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    kenlguykenlguy Member Posts: 233
    edited November -1
    When I think back on all the "scut" work I've done on the side in my life, I realize that it amounts to a fair chunk of money. I just wish that I could be physically able to do some more.
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back when I worked at the gas station, I was never especially happy about occasionally having to clean someone else's poop off the bathroom stall, or sink, or floor, but it paid the bills. If anybody thinks a job is beneath them, they never spent much time actually doing that job.

It's like a little kid claiming something on their plate tastes gross.

"Well, did you try it?"

"No."

"How do you know it's gross?"

"Umm, because?"

[B)][}:)]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    sammashsammash Member Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had a job to do one time that required a shovel.....my shoulder was messed up and could not do it......rode down to a corner where some young healthy looking guys were just hanging around a ask if anyone would dig a hole for me.....20 dollars.....if u dug it in 5 minutes still.20 dollars.....no.offers....went.home.tried myself.and.couldn't.do.it.....went back to the same corner ask if.they.would do it for a.case of beer.....4.volunteered......case of beer was at that time $11.80......go.figure
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,421 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have to wonder why you didn't have the guys that made the mess pick up after themselves? then race wouldn't have a thing to complain about now wouldn't it?