In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mich. man kills wife with chain saw

Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Mich. man kills wife with chain saw in accident
Mon May 11, 7:12 am ET

OTSEGO, Mich. - Michigan authorities say a man working in his yard accidentally killed his wife with a chain saw.

The Otsego (aht-SEE'-go) couple were trying to cut a tree Sunday when the man hit his wife in the neck with the chain saw.

She died at the scene of the accident, about 35 miles south of Grand Rapids.

Sheriff's Deputy David Labonde lives nearby. He tells WOOD-TV he heard a cry for help and did what he could to help.

The sheriff's department says it's withholding the couple's names until other relatives are notified. The TV station says they're in their 40s.

LINK
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090511/...aw_wife_killed

Comments

• SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:How many times have I told them to ban those chainsaws...

chainsaws dont kill people......[;)]

seriously, can you imagine what that guy is going thru?
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds fishy.
    How much life insurance did he have on her?
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    I am not saying it is OK to chop your wife up with a chainsaw, but I understand what can go through a mans mind while holding a chainsaw and the person.....well....nevermind.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Survivalist86
    I am not saying it is OK to chop your wife up with a chainsaw, but I understand what can go through a mans mind while holding a chainsaw and the person.....well....nevermind.

sometimes I just daydream about getting it out of the shed while she beitches, and then...........but I digress[:0]

that guy has to be in a world of hurt,..especially if it was an accident
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Can you put a tournaquet(sp) around someones neck?
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many years ago some guy in the neighborhood was cutting some limbs by some power lines on a ladder with a chainsaw. The chainsaw slipped cut the power lines electrocuted him instantly sparks shooting out his eyes ect.
    The worst part is his wife and a few others were watching ect. [xx(]
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,914 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since they are in their 40's I am betting they have kids.....how sad. That is just so sad to think about.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    Can you put a tournaquet(sp) around someones neck?

If you are worried about the chainsaw not going an effective enough job that could help [}:)]

I assume you are joking but if not then no you can not. Doing that would stop any blood flow to the brain and obviously that is bad. Direct pressure to the effected area is the only real thing you can do.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Long long ago in a land far far away while using a bow saw it kicked back on me. Hitting me in the face right thru my left eye, nose,lips and chin. A heavy metal pair of govt supplied safety glasses saved my life. Guess GOD and some GOOD ARMY SURGEONS helped too.
  • 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by footlong
    Long long ago in a land far far away while using a bow saw it kicked back on me. Hitting me in the face right thru my left eye, nose,lips and chin. A heavy metal pair of govt supplied safety glasses saved my life. Guess GOD and some GOOD ARMY SURGEONS helped too.

What kind of gas does a bow saw take???
  • LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,142 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm no expert, but I don't believe safety glasses would have helped.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    sad if it was an accident

for all those others that have had bad thoughts here is a classic you'll love 5 min in, hal holbrook has just such fantasy
  • JamesQuinnJamesQuinn Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He probably didn't know it was loaded............
  • screwobamascrewobama Member Posts: 625
    edited November -1
    I hope it was an accident but I know I'm not the only one here wondering how you accidently hit your wife in the neck with a chainsaw.[?]
  • TrupoBPTTrupoBPT Member Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have to wonder, how could you stop the bleeding or atleast try to help her. Her head would have come off if it was a murder...well if he was smart.
    edited November -1
    River-A bow saw is the type of cutting bar they had. You could walk along and cut a felled tree on the ground without bending over. Plus it was good for not getting pinched in a trunk or limb as easily as a bar blade. But they were very dangerous. Had a bad habit of kicking back on the operator.
    Like the one that got me. Esp if there were vines or vegitation involved. Have not seen one in prolly 30 years
    edited November -1
    Footlong bow saws are available in stores today.
  • robbie pennyrobbie penny Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The husband has been identified as Drew Peterson.
    edited November -1
    for all those others that have had bad thoughts here is a classic you'll love 5 min in, hal holbrook has just such fantasy

1911A1fan: Where is the video?

I remember seeing those bow chain saws back in the seventies.
    The bar was a big oval shaped thing, stuck out maybe 22 inches.
    Now that you mention it, I haven't seen one in quite a while.
    I can see where they would kickback real easily.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wouldn't take much at the jugular a nick with a chain saw. Could be accidental. Terrible either way.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by footlong
    River-A bow saw is the type of cutting bar they had. You could walk along and cut a felled tree on the ground without bending over. Plus it was good for not getting pinched in a trunk or limb as easily as a bar blade. But they were very dangerous. Had a bad habit of kicking back on the operator.
    Like the one that got me. Esp if there were vines or vegitation involved. Have not seen one in prolly 30 years

314157_300.jpg
    olde%20Bow%20Saw-Marshall%20Trover%27s%20.jpg

Gotcha....sorry about being a smart *.
    edited November -1
    They still make the bow chain saw bars. Cost $190 for one that fits a Stihl.

50ac_1.jpg

And, they are dangerous:
    cdc.gov

On October 9, 1992, a 33-year-old male tree feller (the victim) died after being struck in the throat by a chain saw.

INVESTIGATION

According to the owner, the victim began his assigned duties about 7 a.m. on the day of the incident. He was felling, limbing, and bucking trees (mostly long-needle pine trees) with a 4-horsepower, 16-inch bow-bar chain saw that was approximately 1 year old. About 10 a.m., the victim felled a long-needle pine tree that was 30 to 40 feet tall and approximately 17 inches in diameter at the base. After the pine tree fell to the ground, the victim began limbing the tree. The victim used the chain saw to cut through a spring pole. Apparently when the saw cut through the spring pole, tension was released and the remaining section of limb recoiled. The recoil caused the chain saw to kick back toward the victim, striking him in the throat.

The nearest co-worker was clearing brush about 20 feet away from the victim when he heard a change in the pitch of the chain saw. He looked over toward the victim and saw him collapse to the ground. He ran to the victim, rolled him over from his stomach onto his back, and discovered that he had been severely cut around the throat area. The worker contacted another co-worker and they loaded the victim into the back of a pick-up truck and transported him to the nearest hospital, 15 minutes away, where the victim was pronounced dead on arrival.

CAUSE OF DEATH

The coroner's report listed the cause of death as transection of the trachea and great vessels of the neck.

Discussion: Additionally, bow-bars were designed for bucking trees into sections (logs or bolts), not for limbing. The design of a bow-bar, that is, with an exaggerated cutting tip, increases the hazard of kickback by exposing more tip cutting surface than a standard bar. Chain saw kickback often occurs as a result of cutting with the upper edge of the blade, by cutting with the tip of the blade, or catching the tip on an object while the saw is running. [/i]
  • big genobig geno Member Posts: 2,685 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    bet it was a full auto and it got away from him[;)]
  • TERI234TERI234 Member Posts: 366 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    Sounds fishy.
    How much life insurance did he have on her?

Yeah, that is what I thought too.Sounds way to funny to be an accident.
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was she strapped to the tree......[xx(]
    edited November -1
    riverman- That Devil Machine must be 40 hp[:0]
    edited November -1
    From hooch's second link:

OTSEGO, Mich. (WOOD) - Investigators say Deb Daniels was likely trying to help her husband roll a log out of the way when the chainsaw he was using accidentally cut her neck.

"Autopsy results and the husband's story are consistent," says Allegan County Sheriff's Lt. Frank Baker.

Baker says Jerry Daniels was cutting a log at the couple's Otsego home, 765 Woodlea Drive in Otsego, Sunday afternoon when his wife came up behind him.

Lt. Baker says Jerry would not have heard his wife, who likely kneeled down to help him roll the cut log away.

When he pulled the saw from the log it came back and caught Deb in the neck, according to Baker.

"I heard a cry for help, so I came outside and at that time I saw what was going on, and I rendered as much aid as I possibly could," said David Labonte, a neighbor and deputy for the Allegan County Sheriff's Department. "I'm glad that based on my position that I was the one that was the first to respond."

But nothing could help the 39-year-old woman. She bled to death at the scene.

Investigators have ruled the incident as accidental.

I do a lot of work with chainsaws. In the past 2 months alone I have cut, and split, 14,000 pounds of white and red oak.
    I own 3 Stihl chainsaws. I have built 7 log cabins with chainsaws.
    This story just doesn't add up.
    His wife came up behind him to help him roll a log, but the saw was still running? Doesn't make sense.
    Everybody knows how dangerous chain saws are, I don't see why she would get that close with the saw running.
    Also, if he was holding the saw, and the saw was running, he couldn't have helped roll the log. What, he is going to stand there, with the saw running, and watch his wife, a white collar worker, roll the log?
    The saw just happened to catch Deb in the neck, the one place that would cause instant death.
    Fishy.

When I was a Paramedic, I saw a couple of suspicious deaths that were ruled "suicide."
    We had a veterinarian whose wife "committed suicide" by going outside, in the rain, at 11 pm and shooting herself in the head with a .38. She was wearing her nightgown. Riiiiiight...
    Her wealthy husband was there, weeping and sobbing.
    We had a guy who "committed suicide" by shooting himself with a 7mm mag deer rifle.
    Only thing was, there was a little hole in his back, and a big hole in his chest. His wife was there, weeping and sobbing.
    What a contortionist, he managed to shoot himself in the middle of the back with a deer rifle.

Both cases were ruled suicide.
    If you think that the CSI guys are going to thoroughly investigate every suspicious death, and examine all the little clues, and ferret out the murderer every time, better think again.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs

1911A1fan: Where is the video?

ooops!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbDNX8Yini4&feature=PlayList&p=AA53087FF540AD4D&index=3
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 7RiverMan7

olde%20Bow%20Saw-Marshall%20Trover%27s%20.jpg

I don't think so Tim. [:0][B)]
  • jeffie076jeffie076 Member Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's possable that this was just a plain old tragic accident, they guy cuts a log and lifts a running saw up and gives the fallen log a kick to get it out of the way and the wife comes up behind, and gets clipped in the neck with the blade. The jugular veins and carotid arteries are just under the skin, and it does'nt take much to open one up causing a fatality.
  • 2ndamendright2ndamendright Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very possible to be an accident, and if so I feel horrible for the guy.