In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Cup driver failed drug test

shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Don't know who it is yet.

Comments

• Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just read this as well. It says that he isn't racing this weekend. I wonder if that means he isn't racing because he is suspended immediately or if it means he is a driver who raced last week, but didn't qualify for the race this weekend. The latter would really limit who it could be.

Jon
  • zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jeremy Mayfield failed a test and is suspended indefinitely!

Lance
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    [V][V]

I've been a fan for years. 1st Sosa now him. Sad day.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I'm sure it wasn't "STEROIDS", it was prob. a "recreational" drug.
  • burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    Mayfield, others suspended after violating substance abuse policy: Jeremy Mayfield, driver of the #41 Toyota in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, Tony Martin, a licensed crew member with the #34 team in the Sprint Cup Series and Ben Williams, a licensed crew member with the #16 team in the NASCAR Nationwide Series, have been indefinitely suspended from NASCAR for violating the sanctioning body's substance abuse policy. All three were found to have violated Sections 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing) and 7-5 (violation of the NASCAR substance abuse policy) of the 2009 NASCAR rule book.[was not alcohol due to SPEED](NASCAR PR)(5-9-2009)

From Jayski
    edited November -1
    Looks like the nabbed a couple of crew members as well. One from the #34 team and one from the #16 Nationwide team.

Jon
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jon0322
    Looks like the nabbed a couple of crew members as well. One from the #34 team and one from the #16 Nationwide team.

Jon

Yeah, I read that earlier in the week that one from the #34 team was suspended.
  • big genobig geno Member Posts: 2,685 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    DARLINGTON, S.C. -- Sprint Cup driver Jeremy Mayfield and two crewmen have been suspended indefinitely by NASCAR for violating the sport's substance abuse policy, series vice president Jim Hunter said Saturday at Darlington Raceway.

Suspended along with Mayfield were Tony Martin, a crewman on the No. 34 Sprint Cup team of driver Tony Raines, and Ben Williams, a crew member with the No. 16 Nationwide Series team of Roush Fenway Racing, which won Friday night's event with driver Matt Kenseth.

Hunter would not specify what substances were taken, but did say the violations were for more than merely alcohol use. The violations were found as a result of testing last week at Richmond.

"We have a zero-tolerance approach in our substance abuse policy, and we're going to stick with that," Hunter said. "The path to come back to auto racing is up to the individual."

The violations, Hunter said, were as a result of NASCAR's random testing policy, which went into effect this season.

Mayfield, 39, is a five-time winner on NASCAR's premier circuit. He is currently operating his own race team. "He is suspended as an owner and a driver," Hunter said. "His team could be operated by somebody else, but Jeremy will not be allowed to participate."

The offenses are not appealable, Hunter added.
    edited November -1
    If it is hard drugs, they definitely deserve it, if it was stuff like performance enhancing drugs, or boarderline stuff, why in the heck even mess around with it?

Jon
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    My guess is a little "Nose Candy" or "REEFER"..I would think they all take pain meds./Opiates on a reg. basis.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    AH Yes! the American way.[:(][:(]Sports are rampant with drug users and Steroid abusers.. Great role models for the young of america.[xx(]
  • MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    AH Yes! the American way.[:(][:(]Sports are rampant with drug users and Steroid abusers.. Great role models for the young of america.[xx(]

[Charles Barkley] I'm no role model [/Charles Barkley] [:D]
    Regards, MAALOX
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I have words for Barkley,, just cant use em here.[xx(][xx(]
  • MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    I have words for Barkley,, just cant use em here.[xx(][xx(]
    I agree.

Just read that it may me Claritin D that Jeremy tested positive for. Yet Claritin is the commercial Waltrip just read as they came back to the race. I would guess Claritin will not continue sponsorship if NASCAR bans a driver for taking their product.
    Regards, MAALOX
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Suspended as an owner? Big deal! If it were me, my wife would suddenly own the operation. I'd do the "owner thing" right up to race day, then relay my commands to the pit chief from a CCTV link in my trailer nearby, giving orders from there.
  • zr700zr700 Member Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bravo good for Nascar! Too bad Baseball don't wake up. You wanna screw around, your gonna pay big. Like others said these guys are role models to youth.
  • Allison9Allison9 Member Posts: 388 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mayfield stated that it was a combination of prescription drugs and some over the counter stuff that made him fail. Can't believe that he would be into the real hard drugs. I have seen people fail these tests due to meds that they didn't say they were taking. We had some school bus driver temp suspended same way.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ME FIRST.....where's my money.....i am misunderstood....i am SORRY i got caught....WWWAAAAAAHHHH.....should ban such forever & restore some integrity & honor in sports
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    Think how fun nascar would be if they picked drivers out of a bar, and let them get good and intoxicated prior to the race. No safety equipment, or rules. I would watch nascar if they switched it up like that.
  • 2ndamendright2ndamendright Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For constitution supporters, you guys sure are quick to condem a guy. The truth is, these tests do come back with false positives. The suspension may have been to err on the side of safety, but be sure this isn't the last you'll hear of this. The fact that it was released so soon is disgusting and should not have happened until all of the facts are in place. He is innocent until proven guilty.