In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Unemployed?

frog21frog21 Member Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I was just wondering if any unemployed people invented anything that could be made in the US. Surely theres something that could be made here and the inventer would be rich.

Comments

• GTRiemGTRiem Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What...?
    Nope, since i've been unemployed all my inventions would be made in China.[:I]Can you build/retool a manufacturing facility on a unemployment income? AMERICA shops at walmart and you,me and everyone we know would not pay a cent more to buy stuff made in USA.
    Even back during the "buy American" days the little USA flag sticker
    stuck on produts was made in tiwan.[:(]
    The get rich part sounds nice....[:D]
    GTR
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GTRiem
    What...?
    Nope, since i've been unemployed all my inventions would be made in China.[:I]Can you build/retool a manufacturing facility on a unemployment income? AMERICA shops at walmart and you,me and everyone we know would not pay a cent more to buy stuff made in USA.
    Even back during the "buy American" days the little USA flag sticker
    stuck on produts was made in tiwan.[:(]
    The get rich part sounds nice....[:D]
    GTR
    yep, what he said[xx(]
  • screwobamascrewobama Member Posts: 625
    edited November -1
    BS, I'll pay for quality USA made products long before I'd pay for forign made crap. Three months ago I paid $7200 for a SCAG zero turn mower fabricated & made in the USA. I'll get at least 10 years out of the mower with just basic PM service. The best part is the money stays here and is not sent to another country unlike Honda, Toyota, etc. I remember when a Zenith TV was the best you could buy and they were made in the USA. The motors for the elevators in the Empire State building are the orginal ones from when the building was erected. Why, because they can't buy motors that are better or will give the same service life from any forign company. I have Craftsmen tool boxes, in addition to other name brand quality equipment made in the USA,that my father bought in the late '70's in my shop that I still use and are in excellent shape but Craftsmen dosn't come close to making anything that good any more. The USA can build excellent quaility products but due to opressive taxes and regulations it's hard for American business to compete. If this azzhat of a President wanted to restore the American economy he would give huge tax breaks to companies and relax 70% of the "nanny" regulations so they could set up shop here and produce products the way we used to do it.
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, its really due to the American public is looking for the lowest price and could care less about where the product is made....and American business looking for the biggest profit it can make. Did you watch Dateline on ABC tonight...story really told it all..America doesnt make sheet anymore and someday it will be our demise...sad but true
  • thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently had a problem with some pesky squirrels in my attic.
    Not interested in crawling through all the insulation in the attic anymore since I tried that and ended up falling through the ceiling (wife not happy about that one). Didn't want to poison them for the same reason. I was able to trap and relocate one of them but after that they were too smart for the trap. Started shooting them with a pellet rifle but they got wise to that tactic too. A friend suggest using one of those 10 dollar door alarms to drive them out which worked REALLY well but I was afraid someone might call the Fire Dept thinking it was a smoke alarm. So I was thinking about trapping some of the local wild life (raccoons, squirrels, etc) and seeing if I could construct a device which emits a frequency above the normally audible range which would have the same effect. Something like a small box with a couple of settings for specific critters or maybe just an irritating oscillating frequency. It would have a cord attached to it so you could throw it wherever and retrieve it easily. I'll have to dust of my electronic engineering books but I think there would be a real niche in the market for such a product. It's a common problem with a humane and easy solution. Would anyone here use something like that?
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Japan has a 95% law. Meaning thats the amount of products sold there have to be made there. We have that same law too. Except 95% of whats sold here has to be made SOMEWHERE else[:(] And the American people agree with it. To prove my point. American thieving banks got
    SIX HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS of tax money. Very little said. US auto companies got a paltry 5% of that and America was up IN ARMS. MOST of YOU on here included. Esp wanting to tar and feather UAW. Keep on buying your overseas junk. Then the whole country will be gone. Come to think of it. IT ALREADY HAS[:(!]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thesupermonkey
    I recently had a problem with some pesky squirrels in my attic.
    Not interested in crawling through all the insulation in the attic anymore since I tried that and ended up falling through the ceiling (wife not happy about that one). Didn't want to poison them for the same reason. I was able to trap and relocate one of them but after that they were too smart for the trap. Started shooting them with a pellet rifle but they got wise to that tactic too. A friend suggest using one of those 10 dollar door alarms to drive them out which worked REALLY well but I was afraid someone might call the Fire Dept thinking it was a smoke alarm. So I was thinking about trapping some of the local wild life (raccoons, squirrels, etc) and seeing if I could construct a device which emits a frequency above the normally audible range which would have the same effect. Something like a small box with a couple of settings for specific critters or maybe just an irritating oscillating frequency. It would have a cord attached to it so you could throw it wherever and retrieve it easily. I'll have to dust of my electronic engineering books but I think there would be a real niche in the market for such a product. It's a common problem with a humane and easy solution. Would anyone here use something like that?

Thats been done
    http://www.electronicpestcontrol.net/
    no gettin rich for you[:I]sorry
    GTR
  • thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Thats been done
    http://www.electronicpestcontrol.net/
    no gettin rich for you[:I]sorry
    GTR

[:(] Dang, well at least I don't have to figure out how to build it now... sniff sniff
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840

A fact is America is no longer a producing nation, it is a consuming nation.

It is both. The US remains the largest manufacturing economy in the world. It is just that we continue to consume much more than we produce.

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2009/02/us-remains-worlds-leading-manufacturer/
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
    edited November -1
    [:(] Dang, well at least I don't have to figure out how to build it now... sniff sniff
    [/quote]

Well saved you some time and effort.
    Also in the OP you need to be unemployed to be thinkin
    up inventions to get rich...were you unemployed when you
    invented the pest conrtol?[:D]