In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Does This Gun Have Collector Value?

Comments

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,762 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    not for me,,but,,I am not a Win man,,,definately needs more pics also..imo
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mm8nambu
    not for me,,but,,I am not a Win man,,,definately needs more pics also..imo
    I think it would be more of a G&H collector?
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Clearly two bidders think that it does. I am not a Win 70 expert but I have a couple of issues. Firstly .270 was an uncommon caliber in the Featherweight but the .358 is by far the rarest. He says he has contacted G&H and they say the rifle is legit. Does he have a signed letter from G&H backing up that claim or do we just take his word for it? I'd want to see a copy of the letter with the auction listing. There are other issues, but these top my list of concerns.
  • Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Interesting scope mt.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    first i have seen that scope mount ...looks STABLE
  • Options
    45forme45forme Member Posts: 948 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Apparently so. Not to me.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not an expert but most pre-64 Win's in good shape do hold value and shoot well! Looks like only 1000 were made of this model, Current bid price sounds about right too.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BUT, it is a Win. 70 action in a custom stock. It is probably a quality rifle, but it is not a Winchester, thus to me it is an overpriced (though nice looking) shooter. I am with Cartod, maybe to a G & H Collector if any exist. I would also want to see some provenance.
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Collector item as an original, unaltered Winchester I would not think so. For a big time Win. collector nut, who enjoys variations and custom rigs based on the pre-64 action, yeah but ... !

I would not expect the value to be greater than that for a good custom rifle based on a positive feed/extract action.

(The value would not be custom + the "Winchester" value.
  • Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Not at all a colletcion piece, but a dependable rifle for a serious game hunter of that era. However, with todays technolgy in rifle design and crafting using CAD, CNC and running 5 or more cutting planes at once to a degree measured in millionths rather than thousanths, for 3 grand you could afford the basic platform for a custom hunting rifle that would make that old thing appear to be the relic it actually is.
  • Options
    ikedaikeda Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CERTAINLY it has collectors value! To suggest otherwise is pure folly. Certainly not as large of a market as an original from the factory Winchester Super Grade, simply because not as many collect this type of piece. But G&H made beautiful high quality guns. It is certainly more valuable than a plain vanilla 1961 mfg. 270 Model 70.