In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

HVAC to be replaced---$10k

beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in General Discussion
18 yo and it finally gave up. Called a reputable HVAC company and was told everything needed to be replaced inside and out. New 5-ton Trane with all interior and exterior components replaced. 10 year warranty covering all parts and labor. Total cost: $10,165.00
0M9InwN.gif[

Comments

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,744 ******
    edited November -1
    That's about what I'm looking at to replace my 23 yr. old unit.
    The new unit should be a alot more efficient.
    15 or 17 SEER rating.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,921 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Normally a no brainer. But with the knew high efficientcy flueing required many times makes it a little more difficult to do it properly.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Before you sign any contracts run a Google search for "Formicary corrosion". See what you learn about the brand and model you want to buy.

Formicary corrosion is a problem that came up in recent years with manufacturers using thinner copper tubing. It made the systems more efficient, but too many developed microscopic leaks of refrigerant.

My two year old Rheem heat pump died due to this problem. The repair costs even after the warranty paid for the defective parts were $1800.

What they had to do was spend a day on the roof. Completely dismantled the new unit. Replaced the heat exchanger with a new design made out of aluminum, which they claim does not suffer from Formicary corrosion.
  • Options
    elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Holy crap[:0] I helped put in a new 15 seer 5 ton goodman, coil new line set and new 90% furnace was about 4800.00 10 years on ac unit 5 years on furnace and coil.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The A/C at our PD has been broken for over a month. [:(!] Three 31 year old units on the roof bit the dust nearly at the same time. Supposedly getting replaced by June 2nd, though it was supposed to be done last Weds. $31K for the replacements It has been miserable in the office.
  • Options
    Irish 8802Irish 8802 Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Replaced two (2) AC units and two(2) heating units(we have a big home),Utility bill went way down.More efficient units and better thermostats.Although it was a big pill to swallow it worked out for the best.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was told every thing needed to be replaced at our last house. I knew better than that BS and told the guy so. I called another company and was up and running for less than a hundred bucks for a new relay including the service call. Of course mine wasn't 18 years old either.
  • Options
    breddyrrtbreddyrrt Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live near you. I think you can get it done much cheaper.
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    I agree. We just had a complete 5-ton Trane system installed three months ago for $5700.00
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ChrisInTempe
    Before you sign any contracts run a Google search for "Formicary corrosion". See what you learn about the brand and model you want to buy.

Formicary corrosion is a problem that came up in recent years with manufacturers using thinner copper tubing. It made the systems more efficient, but too many developed microscopic leaks of refrigerant.

My two year old Rheem heat pump died due to this problem. The repair costs even after the warranty paid for the defective parts were $1800.

What they had to do was spend a day on the roof. Completely dismantled the new unit. Replaced the heat exchanger with a new design made out of aluminum, which they claim does not suffer from Formicary corrosion.

Thanks, I'll have to tell my neighbor about this, he was complaining today that they need freon added again, he said they have it done once a year. A/C guys ran dye and never found a leak, his system is a Goodman.
  • Options
    pistoljimpistoljim Member Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster
    I agree. We just had a complete 5-ton Trane system installed three months ago for $5700.00

It is hard to compare pricing without knowing the seer rating of your
    system and the system that beneteau is looking at buying.
  • Options
    320090T320090T Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SHOP AROUND! People in our park have paid $3800 to $8000 for the same thing. Some get a quote and go for it.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just shop around and buy the unit wholesale yourself. Have someone install.. save thousands.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You cannot buy the AC yourself, as you do not have a refrigerant licenses. Shop around and get other prices, you might be surprised. Trane is an excellent choice. If you go with a 96% furnace, you might be eligible for some great rebates. The flue is a non issue and easy to install. Look for some better pricing, but cheaper is not always better. If you are comfortable with the company, then use them. Get references X10.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,978 ******
    edited November -1
    Okie is spot on, the 'cheapest' price is never the 'best' buy. Certainly shop around but be sure to get references. My last 3 large purchases were with the 'high' bid.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We had both our upstairs and downstairs systems replaced eight years ago and I dont think it was quite $10k for both.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I worked on one of my mothers neighbors A/C unit a couple of years ago.It was a Bard,installed in the mid 70s.The condenser coil was plugged up.A good cleaning and it ran like new.About a month after I worked on it,lightning ran in and killed it.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oakie
    You cannot buy the AC yourself, as you do not have a refrigerant licenses. Shop around and get other prices, you might be surprised. Trane is an excellent choice. If you go with a 96% furnace, you might be eligible for some great rebates. The flue is a non issue and easy to install. Look for some better pricing, but cheaper is not always better. If you are comfortable with the company, then use them. Get references X10.

I was referring to purchasing the AC unit and having it installed. Done it many times to cut out the mark up by the installer.

http://www.acdirect.com/knowledge-base/electric-furnace/info-hvac-ordering-purchasing-without-license
  • Options
    SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    I feel your pain.Had a Carrier w/heat pump and 4 zones installed when we bought our house in 08 that cost me 13k[B)]
  • Options
    monticellotdmmonticellotdm Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    same here.....but went on ebay and found a new compressor for a 20 year old unit and had it installed....total cost $600..back up and running.