In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Educate me, please...

Fly DoctorFly Doctor Member Posts: 5,053
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
OK, I'm too damned lazy today to take the time to do the research myself. Like everyone else in America, I'll just cave to the easy route and seek instant gratification. [;)]

As a 41 mag fan, I'm interested in filling my double action revolver gap with a Ruger. But, havin' never owned a double action gun, I'm admittedly ignorant. Here are some questions:

1. Redhawk versus Super Redhawk - what're the differences and, indeed, are/were the Supers built for the 41?

2. Are these models still produced in 41? Most of what I see for sale are used, as new, etc.

3. What are reasonable values on mint 41 mag Redhawks/Super Redhawks? Havin' bought a new Ruger Vacquero in 41 mag for $295 here some years ago, I'm a little surprised to see that the Redhawks are goin' for double that and over.

Much obliged for any help.
Doc

Comments

• moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    Do it yourself i'm lazy too.[}:)]
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just went to rugers site I don't see where they catalog anything in 41 anymore. I use to have a redhawk and traded it for something else not one of my better trades
  • lovethemcoltslovethemcolts Member Posts: 536 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grip frame and the frame extensions are different. The Redhawk having its own unique version, while the Super has a grip stud exactly the same as the GP100 (grips for the two will interchange) makes custom grips much easier to find and install.

The cylinders of the Redhawk and Super Redhawk, both chambered in 44 Magnum, are the same. Ruger uses a different steel for the 480 and 454 frames and cylinders on the Super Redhawk.

The Redhawk uses one spring to power both the trigger return and hammer, the Super uses seperate springs.

Redhawk has a completely different action then the super. It uses 1 spring for duel duty making a good trigger pull diffcult.

The super on the other hand has an action simlar to its sister revolvers the GP100 and the SP101.

These are the major differences between the two guns.
  • gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    No Super Redhawks made in 41 , only double action Ruger is a Redhawk made in blued and Stainless Steel version , with either 5 1/2" or 7 1/2" barrel , some of the 7 1/2" version had cut outs in the barrel rib to take Ruger rings .
    none are in production any more so you have to look for a used one , the only current production Ruger in 41 mag is a single action Blackhawk

if you find a nice one expect to pay in the mid 600 to high 700 range depending on what it is
  • Fly DoctorFly Doctor Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Savage & LoveThem Colts.

Not to be totally worthless here, I just came back from the Ruger site myself. Looks like they've been discontinued, which makes sense given my observations. Guess that explains the higher than expected prices to some degree (along with our Salesman of the Year in the White House).

Still wonderin' if anyone knows if the Super Redhawk WAS ever produced in the 41 mag...

Anyone know?

Thanks,
    Doc
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gskyhawk
    No Super Redhawks made in 41 , only double action Ruger is a Redhawk made in blued and Stainless Steel version , with either 5 1/2" or 7 1/2" barrel , some of the 7 1/2" version had cut outs in the barrel rib to take Ruger rings .
    none are in production any more so you have to look for a used one , the only current production Ruger in 41 mag is a single action Blackhawk

if you find a nice one expect to pay in the mid 600 to high 700 range depending on what it is

Thanks, GSkyHawk. Much obliged. Yep - that's what I suspected, no Super Redhawks in 41 and 41 Redhawks out of production. I swear, it's a damned conspiracy against 41 fans! [;)] Where's Elmer Keith when ya need 'im.

Sigh. Guess I'll suck it up and belly back up to the bidding bar now... [;)][:D]
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Fly Doctor

1. Redhawk versus Super Redhawk - what're the differences and, indeed, are/were the Supers built for the 41?

2. Are these models still produced in 41? Most of what I see for sale are used, as new, etc.

3. What are reasonable values on mint 41 mag Redhawks/Super Redhawks? Havin' bought a new Ruger Vacquero in 41 mag for $295 here some years ago, I'm a little surprised to see that the Redhawks are goin' for double that and over.

Much obliged for any help.
    Doc

Answer to #1 Super Redhawk is build on a different frame-more like a GP100 and no Super Redhawks ever built in .41 Mag BUT you COULD have one custom made in that caliber if you are so inclined and have the cash-just call up someone like Hamilton Bowen.

Answer to #2 nope-only .44 & .45 Colt in the Redhawk-used market though.

Answer to #3 used I've seen used Redhawks go for $350 and up.

Question for you--you said you bought a Vaquero in .41 Mag--was that a custom job as they never cataloged them in that caliber unless you meant Blackhawk??-- the Vaquero's came in .357, .45 Colt-some dual .45acp, dual cylinder .38WCF/.40S&W, .44WCF .44 Mag and I also remember seeing some in .32 Mag.- Love my Old Model Blackhawk in .41 Mag--would have loved a Vaquero in .41 Mag.
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Still have my 33 year old Blackhawk in 41. Sold my Redhawk in 41 several years ago.
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    They were available in the Ruger Bisley for a short time frame.
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    Well, zipperphysician, did your questions get answered?
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I picked up a used 7 1/2 stainless Redhawk in 41mag about a year ago for $399. It needed some cleanup...did it and it is super nice..shoots great too....gotta reload if ya own a 41mag
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger41

Question for you--you said you bought a Vaquero in .41 Mag--was that a custom job as they never cataloged them in that caliber unless you meant Blackhawk??

Yep, my error, Ruger41. It's a Blackhawk with Vacquero grips. Replaced the aluminum grip frame with a brass one for better balance and replaced the wood grips with a synthetic stag that's aging nicely like the real thing (without the price). A great shooter.

Thanks for the info. The Redhawks I'm seein' up for auction/sale now, if you can find one in .41, are goin' for $600+. Pricey, but considerin' today's market and their bein' discontinued, I'm not surprised.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drjew
    Well, zipperphysician, did your questions get answered?

Well, yeah- smart *. [;)]

But you knew that from the previous responses before pullin' yer hand out of your zipper to type that.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag
    I picked up a used 7 1/2 stainless Redhawk in 41mag about a year ago for $399. It needed some cleanup...did it and it is super nice..shoots great too....gotta reload if ya own a 41mag

There's a stainless on auction here now, with a similar barrel length. I'm tempted, but prefer my revolvers in blued metal. Maybe yours needs a partner! [;)]
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    forget the ruger and the .41.
    .44 is cheaper to run!

dscf0174mz8.jpg
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:the Vaquero's came in .357, .45 Colt-some dual .45acp, dual cylinder .38WCF/.40S&W, .44WCF .44 Mag and I also remember seeing some in .32 Mag.

I have a 32mag/32-20 vaquero.
    didn't they make a vaquero in 357/38/9mm? I have a blackhawk like that, but I think there was a vaquero too. (?)
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tplumeri
    forget the ruger and the .41.
    .44 is cheaper to run!

Agreed, but I handload, so it's not an issue.
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drjew
    Ouch![}:)]

[;)]
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If anyone comes accross a used stainless 5.5" bbl 45 Colt Redhawk for under $400. Give me a holler. Put one on layaway years ago and changed my mind for something else. Wish I would've bought it.

I know Ruger makes a new version but I like the looks of the old one better.
  • gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    right here's a darn nice one and the guy selling it is A OK

http://v4.beta.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=129153743
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gskyhawk
    right here's a darn nice one and the guy selling it is A OK

http://v4.beta.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=129153743

Thanks. Saw that one and talked with the seller. He is a nice guy. He may not be able to sell to this outcast in The Land O' Fruits & Nuts, however, as his FFL doesn't do business with CA. Can't blame the FFL, as I feel the same. But hate to not be able to bid on that one because of it. [V] That blemish could be worked on - and they're hard to find.