In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Man that Bear is some good eatin'....

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Just had me a salad and two bear burgers...those daggone things are so good, I've done over stuffed myself again!...and I hate that feeling. Don't you folks ever let anyone tell you that bear is no good to eat...it's some damn fine cuisine![:)][:p][8D]

Damn Puerto Ricans don't know what they are missing![;)][}:)]

Comments

• robbie pennyrobbie penny Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i bet bear have said that about humans too, lol
  • cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have ate bear meat once while we was hunting in Wy.....the people who we hunted with cooked some up one night......very very similar to pork IMHO
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cowdoc
    I have ate bear meat once while we was hunting in Wy.....the people who we hunted with cooked some up one night......very very similar to pork IMHO

I guess everyone has their own opinions...but this here bear is better than any beef I've ever tasted.
  • shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    not trying to hijack this thread but i was offered the chance to hunt black bear in northern minnesota by an a older guy that lives there. i accepted and he said he was gonna start doing some baiting this summer for me. its bowhinting of course and him and his kids kill one every year but i dont really know what to do after i shoot it. do i have it processed like a deer and get a skull and a blanket out of it or what? what do you guys that hunt bear do with the ones you shoot? im sure this guy will tell me what goes on and help me skin and debone(like deer? im clueless) and such, but just curious.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shootuadeal
    not trying to hijack this thread but i was offered the chance to hunt black bear in northern minnesota by an a older guy that lives there. i accepted and he said he was gonna start doing some baiting this summer for me. its bowhinting of course and him and his kids kill one every year but i dont really know what to do after i shoot it. do i have it processed like a deer and get a skull and a blanket out of it or what? what do you guys that hunt bear do with the ones you shoot? im sure this guy will tell me what goes on and help me skin and debone(like deer? im clueless) and such, but just curious.

Yup...treat it just like anything else you kill. It makes some damn fine eating. The first time you eat it, you may experience some bloating...but it only happens once, if at all...after that, it's all good. You can always have the skull bleached...[:)]
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    ok now i'm in North Dakota right now and have hunted deer for the last couple year but to this day have not eaten bear meat. so if you feeling genreous or may be just want somthing i will trade deer meat for bear meat.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wife was by the back door Wednesday.
    Heard a commotion coming from outside.
    Looked out the window in the door, and all she could see was a big hairy butt.
    Opened the door a crack and yelled.....BOO, then shut the door.
    He/she/it didn't waste any time taking off up the mountain.

First sighting of the season for us.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    Wife was by the back door Wednesday.
    Heard a commotion coming from outside.
    Looked out the window in the door, and all she could see was a big hairy butt.
    Opened the door a crack and yelled.....BOO, then shut the door.
    He/she/it didn't waste any time taking off up the mountain.

First sighting of the season for us.

[:D][:D][:D] That's the way most of them seem to react.
  • Fly DoctorFly Doctor Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC

Yup...treat it just like anything else you kill. It makes some damn fine eating. The first time you eat it, you may experience some bloating...but it only happens once, if at all...after that, it's all good. You can always have the skull bleached...[:)]

I hear ya, ECC. This is a self-portrait of my first archery bear, harvested here on my place from the ground in '07. It was a rush, about 15 yards from her with a pass-through shot that anchored in a tree behind her. She piled up quick at the river's edge, making the laborious process of skinning her out a bit cleaner. Butchered her myself, but had the skull bleached and a nice rug made for the guest bed! Damned fine eats! [:p][:D]

TrinityBearAugust2007.jpg

Last year was a wash due to wildfire burning on to the place. Hopin' this year's better. Saw a nice boar a couple of weeks ago...
  • westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • 47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BIL's group get bear every couple of years. He gets a few roasts which are good but the ribs done like BBQ are the best.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,867 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Yep, good stuff![:p]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Fly Doctor

I hear ya, ECC. This is a self-portrait of my first archery bear, harvested here on my place from the ground in '07. It was a rush, about 15 yards from her with a pass-through shot that anchored in a tree behind her. She piled up quick at the river's edge, making the laborious process of skinning her out a bit cleaner. Butchered her myself, but had the skull bleached and a nice rug made for the guest bed! Damned fine eats! [:p][:D]

TrinityBearAugust2007.jpg

Last year was a wash due to wildfire burning on to the place. Hopin' this year's better. Saw a nice boar a couple of weeks ago...

Great pic! Beautiful country...where are you at?
  • JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1

Next, you'll try telling me that squirrels, possums, and snapping turtles make good eating.

You country boys crack me up!

[:D][:D][:D]
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    westernMDhunter,
    Those are some GREAT pics.
    Did you take them?
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    owenley et it oncstd twas write tayste aw write
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,867 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Polite Psycho

Next, you'll try telling me that squirrels, possums, and snapping turtles make good eating.

You country boys crack me up!

• mousemouse Member Posts: 3,624
    edited November -1
    Those bear pictures are hilarious. I thought squirrels are
    funny to watch trying to get a bird feeder down. They say
    not to hang birdfeeders in Wisconsin unless you want bears
    around, they love sunflower seeds. I've heard some stories
    up there. Few years back a bear walked into an open garage
    and after eating the pies left to cool for the church social,
    let himself into the side door and was helping himself to
    leftovers in the fridge when the lady of the house entered
    the kitchen.
    Another story, had a hiker treed by a bear. The hiker kept
    taking items of clothes off and swatting the bear who'd climbed
    the tree behind him. The guy was seen running for his life,
    after climbing out onto a limb and dropping down after several
    hours, and running in nothing but his titey whities.[:D]
    edited November -1

Great pic! Beautiful country...where are you at?

Trinity County, in the northwest corner of
    the Land of Fruits and Nuts, with 550K acres
    of Wilderness to the north and 30 miles of
    undeveloped forest to the south. Some of the
    most densely populated bear country in the lower 48.
    And one of the last bastions of any sanity left in this state...

If only they'd offer a simultaneous season for
    liberal urban tourists. [;)]

I hear they taste like chicken.
    (They sure as hell act like 'em!)
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by westernMDhunter
    Yummy bears.

GREAT photos, WesternMDHunter!!
    Hope to get some as good here this year,
    as soon as the berry crops set in.