In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Phoenix Mayor - Gun Buy Back Planned - C&P

ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
edited March 2013 in General Discussion
http://kjzz.org/content/1302/stanton-announces-gun-buyback-school-safety-officers
garcia%20krietor%20stanton.JPG
Stanton announces gun buyback, School Safety Officers
By: Nick Blumberg on 02/28/2013

Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton delivered his second State of the City speech Thursday. He announced new pushes for school safety and an effort to get guns off the street

Stanton acknowledged the challenges Phoenix faces, but painted a largely optimistic picture of its future -- a future he hopes will include fewer guns.

Through a partnership with Arizonans For Gun Safety, Phoenix will hold a gun buyback program every Saturday in May, except Memorial Day weekend. An anonymous donor gave $100,000 to fund the buyback.

Phoenix Police Chief Daniel Garcia said a program last year paid about a $100 per gun, meaning the May buyback could bring in a thousand weapons.

"I've seen one weapon tragically change the life of many individuals across the United States," Garcia said. "Any program that supports weapons off the streets, that saves our citizens and our officers, it's a plus."

During his speech, Stanton also announced the Phoenix School Safety program. In addition to School Resource Officers already in place, school districts will have the option of hiring School Safety Officers -- off-duty Phoenix cops who've gone through an abbreviated resource officer training.

Stanton also wants to boost reading levels for Phoenix kids and to overhaul job training programs. He said business leaders have told him they're concerned about having enough skilled employees.

"This is going to be a hypercompetitive environment," Stanton said. "What we did in the past is not going to work in the future. Our competitors are different. It's now a more global competitive economic environment, and so we gotta up our game."

Stanton didn't say whether he'll support a repeal of Phoenix's food tax, but that he hopes to have a decision in the near future that balances fiscal and safety needs with the burden it places on families.

Comments

• Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    wonder if anyone would show up to this one buying firearms out of the line to get in? They ever have one in NEPA if I'm home that would be mighty tempting.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    If I could I'd set up across the street offering more than $100 each. Will have to look into when and where on this thing, see if anyone else is going to try such a thing.

There was a YouTube once where some guys showed up in a parking lot outside a gun buy back. They bought something like a Marlin Camp Rifle or Hi-Point Carbine real cheap. Then the cops chased them off.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,331 ******
    edited November -1
    I have heretofore been unaware of any gun on the street. Who are these imbeciles who store their guns in the street?
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy back yeah right, I saw a friend sell them a fake 1911. the two women tagging the guns had no clue as to what they where doing.
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    9 on the floor9 on the floor Member Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How, in the hell, can you "buy back" something you never owned in the first place[?]

Liberals are masters at manipulating the meaning of common words.
  • Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wish I were closer. I have 7 or 8 working junkers that I would gladly sell for $100 ea.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i am sure thousnds of illegals will show up and turn them in
  • Options
    catgunguycatgunguy Member Posts: 6,089
    edited November -1
    A person could do good by just walking down the line to see what there and offer to save them the wait.
  • Options
    mike_02mike_02 Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wonder if the guy on the left rear will be the first to sell his gun back?
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Complete waste of money but an opportunity....to walk the line and check out what is being sold and possibly pick up a nice Winnie or something for $125 that some clueless idiot is going to turn in ("Luck favors the prepared mind.") Had a friend do it recently in a "buyback." I do like what the Mayor is saying about school resource officers...sounds to me like he is on the right track.