In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cutting Ash Wood

tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
edited June 2014 in General Discussion
..My neighbor dropped off a couple loads last week in 6-8' chunks. Man, does that dull a saw quickly. I feel like my back is going to fold up. Haven't split any yet. I sure hope it splits semi-straight. It can't be any worse than the crap poplar, willow and cottonwood that I've been working on, but that's all I had on hand. I missed getting out for the hedge (Osage orange) before the crops were in.[:(]

Comments

• Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    I hope it splits like Madrone. The Maul just bounces off[:o)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    I hope it splits like Madrone. The Maul just bounces off[:o)]

..Maul? This old broken body needs 25 tons of hydraulics. They mesh
    like the bolts and pins that hold me together.

..(picture Howdy Doody without the strings...[:0]) What's Madrone?
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is why I bought a commercial log splitter for my cabin. 15 hp motor and can split even the hardest oaks with ease. Goes right through knots and all. Don't know how I ever split wood before
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Arbutus menziesii is an evergreen tree with rich orange-red bark that when mature naturally peels away in thin sheets, leaving a greenish, silvery appearance that has a satin sheen and smoothness.[5] The exposed wood sometimes feels cool to the touch. In spring, it bears sprays of small bell-like flowers, and in autumn, red berries.[6] The berries dry up and have hooked barbs that latch onto larger animals for migration. It is common to see madronas of about 10 to 25 metres (33 to 82 ft) in height, but with the right conditions trees may reach up to 30 metres (98 ft). In ideal conditions madronas can also reach a thickness of 5 to 8 feet (1.5 to 2.4 m) at the trunk, much like an oak tree.[citation needed] Leaves are thick with a waxy texture, oval, 7 to 15 centimetres (2.8 to 5.9 in) long and 4 to 8 centimetres (1.6 to 3.1 in) broad, arranged spirally; they are glossy dark green above and a lighter, more grayish green beneath, with an entire margin. The leaves are evergreen, lasting a few years before detaching, but in the north of its range, wet winters often promote a brown to black leaf discoloration due to fungal infections.[7][8] The stain lasts until the leaves naturally detach at the end of their lifespan.

If its seasoned it makes the very best chopping block. Had a 15lb maul that only bounced off it. Had to take a chain saw and cut it into quarters to burn it. Did keep one piece for years as my block for splitting.
  • Options
    Duce1Duce1 Member Posts: 9,329
    edited November -1
    Here in northern Kentucky, there is a ban on selling or moving Ash trees off the property they come from and a heavy fine if your caught doing it. The asian ash bore bug is the reason.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1000x1000_zpsd9fa7021.jpg

I bet I could split it with my Monster Maul.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I recall, ash is pretty straight grained. It burns fast though. Poplar is crap, that and river birch were damn near weed trees. I had a number of them at the old house and tried to use them for firewood. Had to get a roaring oak fire going first then put that on the coals. Luckily every time the creek flooded, something good (firewood wise) would wash down!
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    we used to split a lot of Madrone, when I live up in Humboldt(CA) County. Trick is split it green, pops real easy.
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never tried to split seasoned ash but once upon a time I split boogobles of fresh cut ash. I well remember that that was easy splitting.

Osage orange!?! Between the spikes on the trunk, always hidden where you don't see them until it is stuck in your hands and how hard it is on your chainsaw to cut it, that is a whole lot of painful work.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodhog
    we used to split a lot of Madrone, when I live up in Humboldt(CA) County. Trick is split it green, pops real easy.

Yep Did not learn till later.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ..Okay, I just got in and that green ash is stringy as all get out. Splits pretty straight but those strings need a hatchet. I put a "helper" block on the base of the splitter as the wedge doesn't go all the way to the bottom. Why can't they put on a cylinder that pushes just short of the base, instead of stopping 4-5" short?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dreher
    I have never tried to split seasoned ash but once upon a time I split boogobles of fresh cut ash. I well remember that that was easy splitting.

Osage orange!?! Between the spikes on the trunk, always hidden where you don't see them until it is stuck in your hands and how hard it is on your chainsaw to cut it, that is a whole lot of painful work.

..Maybe a different strain. I've cut and split many tons of hedge and never saw spines on the trunk. On the branches, sure. You just have to be willing to bleed a little and wear Carharts. That wood sure is a pretty color. My Pops made a rifle stock from a chunk! Coarse grained but pretty.
  • Options
    mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My (custom made) bathroom vanity and ceiling-tall cabinet are constructed in ash. It looks somewhat like pine but has more pleasing grain. Wisconsin is fighting ash borer bug now too. There will be 10's of thousands of mature trees cut and destroyed in the next few years. They line the street terrace in very many communities.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrs102
    My (custom made) bathroom vanity and ceiling-tall cabinet are constructed in ash. It looks somewhat like pine but has more pleasing grain. Wisconsin is fighting ash borer bug now too. There will be 10's of thousands of mature trees cut and destroyed in the next few years. They line the street terrace in very many communities.

..The ash is pretty and fairly fine grained. Once past the cambium layer, it's a nice brown/grey color. I'll bet it does make nice furniture. That pesky ash borer is in the news every week. They've been "inoculating" trees up in the city. I hope it works, rather than destroying those stately trees.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oregon got hit with a beetle and its doing some major damage.

7476489928_06ec606b89_z.jpg
  • Options
    xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    Actually installing ash wood in the bed of the pickup truck on foose... Velocity... Right now!!
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ash is considered very good stove wood in my area. The old saying "regardless of green or dry, split ash wood is your best buy" goes back generations.
  • Options
    drl50drl50 Member Posts: 2,496
    edited November -1
    Ash is considered great fire wood here in Northern Wisconsin. Ours is usually Brown Ash cut as dead standing wood. It is a bugger to split though as it is stringy and sticks together even using a mechanical splitter. We find it much easier to split when it is below zero. Not so easy in southern climes.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tapwater
    quote:Originally posted by dreher

..Maybe a different strain. I've cut and split many tons of hedge and never saw spines on the trunk. On the branches, sure. You just have to be willing to bleed a little and wear Carharts. That wood sure is a pretty color. My Pops made a rifle stock from a chunk! Coarse grained but pretty.

It depends on which type locust you're dealing with.
    Around here we have honey locust.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/32/HoneyLocustThorn.JPG
    I wouldn't doubt the damn things have thorns in the root ball.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs

I split hundreds of cords of wood back in the day with this guy....the famous Monster Maul! In the 70's I heated by home in the woods with a German ceramic woodstove for over eight years and this MM was "my guy"...and it put me in the best shape in my life! But man was it work and it would do the job on just about any wood....but I had my hands full with gum and ash. The rest........no problemo. Allen....bringing back lots of memories of hard work and sweaty days! But that stove put out the best heat I have ever had in a house...thanks to the MMaul and lots of elbow grease!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Gary I have had the Monster Maul since 1981. It is the best maul ever made, I love my Monster Maul. I have split many, many cords of oak and locust, and walnut with this maul.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "It depends on which type locust you're dealing with.
    Around here we have honey locust.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/32/HoneyLocustThorn.JPG
    I wouldn't doubt the damn things have thorns in the root ball."

Hedge(Osage Orange)has a multitude of thorns(most under 1/2) that will ensnarl a person like barbed wire. I actually had to unsnap and remove my safety chaps to get loose last spring. Hedge is the top of the line fence post material due to it's oily nature.
    Black Locust also makes excellent posts is fairly straight and has fewer spines. This wood splits easily and makes excellent firewood.
    Honey Locust is the scourge of the Midwest with it's gruesome thorns up to 4-5" long. An interesting note about honey locust is that it's lumber is quite weather resistant (above ground) and the type that produces seed pods(female) and few thorns makes good firewood. If fully cured it burns hot and fairly clean. The green wood will cause lots of oily soot and tends to plug and'/or cause chimney fires. I splits great and makes a nice odor. Attracts ants to the woodpile.
    Hedge and Locust are exceptionally hard on saw chains and require higher horsepower saws to cut efficiently.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gary wray

I split hundreds of cords of wood back in the day with this guy....the famous Monster Maul! In the 70's I heated by home in the woods with a German ceramic woodstove for over eight years and this MM was "my guy"...and it put me in the best shape in my life! But man was it work and it would do the job on just about any wood....but I had my hands full with gum and ash. The rest........no problemo. Allen....bringing back lots of memories of hard work and sweaty days! But that stove put out the best heat I have ever had in a house...thanks to the MMaul and lots of elbow grease!

I have had one of those since 1983 and its split tons of wood from WA to NC. Mine still has the black handle but its kind of chewed up.
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    These old-time Monster Mauls from the early eighties never had the black plastic, or foam, on the handle. Nothing but American steel and orange paint.
    I love this type of handle because that black plastic or foam sticks to my hands a little, I prefer just the steel.
    Another great feature of this maul is the handle is oblong. This makes it easy to align the blade and makes you sure to make a straight strike on the wooden block.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Gary I have had the Monster Maul since 1981. It is the best maul ever made, I love my Monster Maul. I have split many, many cords of oak and locust, and walnut with this maul.

Allen...no question about it. I first used a wedge and sledge and that was lousy as was an axe. But the MMaul solved that problem the day I got it. Combined with my Homelight XL with a (very dangerous) bow chain, I could do some wood really quick! My daughters were just kids and on Sunday pm the four of us would do the "wood job"...me splitting with the MM and them stacking beside the house...the youngest girl (four) did the "twig job" while the older sisters stacked. It was a fun time that the four of us still laugh about!! They are 41, 38 and 36 today! Thanks for the MMaul memories!