In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What should I do? What's it worth?

storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I was helping out my buddy with his first boat today. We planned to take it out but he is learning fast that you have to keep up on things and keep a tight ship.

Anyway, took a little break and checked out the farm on his new property. Turns out in his huge shed , there is a fully functional horse stalls suitable for cows and horses. Like a good farm boy should, I cleaned it out in about one hour and found this....

A really cool old grain cracker.

Buddy doesn't know what to do with it. It's belt driven. No tractor to run that old steamer belt.

Should I restore it for him, Sell it or just clean it up and use it? You can get cracked grains at no extra charge these days...

FeedGrinder1.jpg

FeedGrinderBelt2.jpg

FeedGrinderGears5.jpg

FeedGrinderTop4.jpg

Cool, eh?

Comments

• fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    DUUUDE!!! Clean it up, and contact your local farm museum!!! That is a PERFECT RELIC!!!!
    I see a BRAND NEW BOAT, in your buddies future!![;)]
  • susiesusie Member Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With everyone getting ready for the apocolypse, you might be needing it soon. Or, when the SHTF, you could probably sell/trade it for a small fortune in survival necessities.[8D]
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    DUUUDE!!! Clean it up, and contact your local farm museum!!! That is a PERFECT RELIC!!!!
    I see a BRAND NEW BOAT, in your buddies future!![;)]

You really think so? He would be stoked....
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    That thing is BAD *!! If the wheels really come off, u may need it. If not.............CHA-CHING$$$$$$[:D]
    PS; The International Harvester folks may like a shot at it as well [;)]
    They may be OOB tho...
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    That thing is BAD *!! If the wheels really come off, u may need it. If not.............CHA-CHING$$$$$$[:D]
    PS; The International Harvester folks may like a shot at it as well [;)]
    They may be OOB tho...

Hell, I didn't even notice the International logo on the side! LOL.

COOL! That just made the cha ching sound for me!

Now I need to figure out where to start.

I should just restore it for him and sell it. Give him the money and he would crap!

He's the kind of guy that would screw it up if he tried to restore or deal it.
  • Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $150-300 would be my guess. Haven't seen these at farm auctions so I may not even be close.
  • 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    35055.jpg

I know they aren't exactly the same but these two are going for $100 apiece or $175 for both.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Clean it up and keep it.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have one of the old McCormick corn shellers of that genre...used to pick ears of corn throughout field, grind off & run thru moisture tester for most accurate field check...lots easier than by hand
  • 47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DO NOT RESTORE IT, some light cleaning only, Just like "Antiques Roadshow" restoring DECREASES the value by 1/3 or more.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 47studebaker
    DO NOT RESTORE IT, some light cleaning only, Just like "Antiques Roadshow" restoring DECREASES the value by 1/3 or more.

+1 clean it up don't paint it or do anything crazy like that.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Sand it and paint it all over. Then it will look nicer.
  • countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    Any Deere up to 1959 has a belt pulley to run that as do several of the Farmalls. Don't clean it up and sell it just as it is.