In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Will the bank replace this dollar? UPDATE

beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
edited August 2009 in General Discussion
Found it on the sidewalk this morning while I was on my morning walk with our Schnauzer. Torn off on one end but part on the serial number remained on that end. Haven't been to the bank yet; but, was curious.

Update:Found this on a US Gov website:

Not Mutilated Currency includes any bill that is CLEARLY more than one-half of the original bill, and does not require any special examination or investigation to determine its value. Examples of non-mutilated bills include those that are badly soiled, dirty, defaced, disintegrated, limp, torn or otherwise "worn out."

These bills should be exchanged through your local bank and processed by the Federal Reserve Bank.

IMG_0911.jpg
0M9InwN.gif[

Comments

• Options
    Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beneteau

Found it on the sidewalk this morning while I was on my morning walk with our Schnauzer. Torn off on one end but part on the serial number remained on that end. Haven't been to the bank yet; but, was curious.

IMG_0911.jpg

I think that was dropped by the irs officer after he left my house today. The piece that is missing is what I have left, he took that part.
  • Options
    pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    Yes, If the bill is over fifty percent than it is legal tender(whatever that means!)
  • Options
    btkbtk Member Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beneteau

IMG_0911.jpg

Yes the bank will replace a bill thatis atleast 51% present.
  • Options
    beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Options
    proappproapp Member Posts: 3,264
    edited November -1
    nope, your one digit short on the torn side, gotta have five...
  • Options
    trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pietro75

Yes, If the bill is over fifty percent than it is legal tender(whatever that means!)

That's what I thought when one of my Brittanies tried to eat a $20.
    I had slightly over 1/2 of the bill .
    The bank would not replace it !
    They said I had to have at least 75% .
    Pretty expensive dog food ![:(]
  • Options
    RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pietro75

Legal Tender is a fraud. There are many places, especially government, where they will NOT accept cash money. I'm waiting for the ACLU to sue the government over that.

Many LEAs take the view that carrying cash is prima facia evidence of wrong doing. Pay for an airline ticket with cash and the air;ine calls the FBI.

Cash is definitely NOT LEGAL TENDER.
  • Options
    VirgilCaineVirgilCaine Member Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    dont know enough to debate it, but its only a dollar, well worth dropping downtown in a big city to see the bums fight over it, or give it to a mooch on the off ramp
  • Options
    bafishybafishy Member Posts: 590 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always heard you needed three corners for banks to take it.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Fold it and leave it for a tip. [:D]
  • Options
    storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    My wife works at the bank and deals with counterfeit and things like this.

She is sitting behind me on the couch and says you will get a new dollar at any bank for this one.

The laws is 50 percent of the bill. You could cut it in a funny pattern and as long as the bill is 50 percent of the paper it is ok.

You could cut off both the numbers and they will still replace it for you.
  • Options
    oldgunmanoldgunman Member Posts: 1,779 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by storm6490
    My wife works at the bank and deals with counterfeit and things like this.

She is sitting behind me on the couch and says you will get a new dollar at any bank for this one.

The laws is 50 percent of the bill. You could cut it in a funny pattern and as long as the bill is 50 percent of the paper it is ok.

You could cut off both the numbers and they will still replace it for you.
    That's right![:)]
  • Options
    oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    have taken several in that went through the lawn mower, as long as they had both serial no's, and a legible denomination, they always replaced it
  • Options
    countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    You can also send bills to the Treasury and they will examine it and replace the face amount. I have a ziplock bag of approx $20 in bills the dogs found and shredded. I need to send it in.