In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Fatal Attraction (C&P)

JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
A while back I posted a story from the local newspaper about a guy who went turkey hunting and got whooped up on by a bobcat. This story is on the front page today about a guy who went turkey hunting and got whooped up on by a turkey.

If you're thinking about going after a Spring Gobbler, you might want to think again. [:D]

C&P from The GAZETTE VIRGINIAN, Wednesday, May 13, 2009

FatalAttraction.jpg

BY BETH ROBERTSON

It was 7 a.m. at the edge of the Sugar Shack woods when veteran turkey hunter James Edmunds spotted a 20-lb. gobbler, took aim and fired.

"Then the gobbler took off into the woods," recalled Edmunds. "I thought he had probably been too far away when I fired." Edmunds followed the turkey into the woods to make sure it wasn't wounded, but to his amazement he saw the turkey in the clearing.

He immediately dropped to one knee and took aim.

It Was then the hunt turned Tall Turkey Tale to the extreme.

"The turkey started toward me," recalled the stunned hunter. "I thought he would stop, or rum away, but he didn't. He attacked me."

In defense, the shocked Edmunds grabbed the turkey by the neck, but not before the gobbler's 1-1/4 inch spur raked a l2-inch * on Edmunds' arm.

The two fought it out in the woods, spurring, grappling, choking, battling until man emerged the victor.

As soon as he could, Edmunds called Rob Keck, executive director of the National Wild Turkey Federation, to see if he had ever heard of an incident like this one.

"No," Keck replied.

And like so many others hearing the tale, he added, if it were anyone but you telling me this story, James, well ... "

"It's so bizarre," agreed Edmunds, who came up with the following possibilities.

"It's breeding season for the gobbler," he began. And I get a feeling a shot knocked him silly, then he was mad. Whether he was mad or in love, that is the question?"

But either way, it was fatal.
The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.

Comments

• War Pig ActualWar Pig Actual Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would eat every part of that SOB gobbler and make key chains outta his spurs.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,027 ******
    edited November -1
    These Virginia turkeys are some mean bastages. No wonder Thomas Jefferson wanted to make the wild turkey a national symbol.[8D]
  • 1fisher1fisher Member Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    REAL men don't hunt turkeys with a shotgun, or even a bow -- they kill them with their bare hands![:D]
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    I had a "friend" who raised a tom from a polt, and that thing was meaner than hell. Not afraid of anything!
    edited November -1
    quote:These Virginia turkeys are some mean bastages. No wonder Thomas Jefferson wanted to make the wild turkey a national symbol.

That was Ben Franklin, I think he is the greatest American to every live. Loved America, beer, and women. What else is there?
    edited November -1
    Are they mean because they are "stupid" or can they really back up their chit....I know this one laid into the guy, but it was a freak event right?
  • wartigerwartiger Member Posts: 3,861
    edited November -1
    While very rare, yes, a Turkey can back it up. With 1"-2" razor sharp spurs, they can leave very nasty wounds. At a local petting zoo, a big Tom tore into a 10 year old girl, leaving her very cut and requiring a allot of stiches.
  • dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    [:0] he had a gun, but the turkey whipped his *? there`s no way i`d ever admit to anything like that![:I]
  • rhythm_guyrhythm_guy Member Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dan kelly
    [:0] he had a gun, but the turkey whipped his *? there`s no way i`d ever admit to anything like that![:I]

+1

That story would have never seen the light of day.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,027 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by War Pig Actual
    quote:These Virginia turkeys are some mean bastages. No wonder Thomas Jefferson wanted to make the wild turkey a national symbol.

That was Ben Franklin, I think he is the greatest American to every live. Loved America, beer, and women. What else is there?

Sez you.
    edited November -1
    quote:jimdeere Posted - 05/13/2009 : 6:41:10 PM

quote:
    Originally posted by War Pig Actual

quote:
    These Virginia turkeys are some mean bastages. No wonder Thomas Jefferson wanted to make the wild turkey a national symbol.

Sez you.

What, that he was the greatest American or didn't want the Turkey as the national symbol?[:)]
  • PTHEIMPTHEIM Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimdeere
    quote:Originally posted by War Pig Actual

Sez you.

As I recall from American History I & II it WAS Ben Franklin that recommended the Turkey as America's National bird over the Bald Eagle. jmho

This is why I don't currently turkey hunt. 1) It's humbling to hunt something a tad smarter than you and 2) they can be ornery.
  • Lonestar86Lonestar86 Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That was Ben Franklin, I think he is the greatest American to every
    This is why I don't currently turkey hunt. 1) It's humbling to hunt something a tad smarter than you

That ain't no lie, I have heard it a million times from an ol' boy who taught me to hunt Tom's "If them meanie's could smell nobody would ever kill one"

Never heard of one attacking a person, have seen some decoys get shredded by those spurs, but that's a new one for me. Time to get a Kevlar Turkey hunting vest[;)]